Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all have been well. I haven't posted in months because my car hasn't actually run in months. I have exhausted the services of the best Fiat/Alfa tech in my region, as well as the two top aftermarket tuners in my area. None of us can find the cause of my P0234 overboost code.

Boost leak testing revealed that an internal gasket within the EC/GPop turbo was faulty, where the compressor housing mounts. Gpop overnighted me a new gasket, and the turbo was disassembled and reassembled, and the system was boost leak tested again with good results.

I have replaced every piece of silicone hosing under the hood of my car. I have attempted to run tunes on both the factory WGA and the Turbosmart. No matter what, the car will overboost at highway speeds under 50%-ish throttle. I have an email chain with Toby and Chris from EC that's 30+ emails long, plus probably some others in various other discussions. None of us can figure this out as the situation currently stands.

Engine mod list is as follows:

EC V4
EC Turbo
EC Intercooler
Brisk Silver plugs
4C Coil packs
C&B Camshaft
Supersprint Catless Downpipe
GWR 2.5" Crossover Pipe
Supersprint Mid-pipe and Y-pipe

I'm at my wits' end. What else causes overboost codes besides leaks?

Any and all ideas, questions, or mockery are welcome!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Waste gate could over boost. There is a sensor besides the intake that is responsible for the over boost code maybe you should check that

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
As someone who has experienced the worst of the overboost, look at the V-Band clamp at the rear of the Turbo that connects to the Catalytic Converter/Down Pipe. Make sure the tightening screw is rotated away from the Wastegate Arm and not blocking it from opening.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As someone who has experienced the worst of the overboost, look at the V-Band clamp at the rear of the Turbo that connects to the Catalytic Converter/Down Pipe. Make sure the tightening screw is rotated away from the Wastegate Arm and not blocking it from opening.
Oh what, you mean exactly like this?

I'm speechless right now. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Waste gate could over boost. There is a sensor besides the intake that is responsible for the over boost code maybe you should check that
Thank you. I forgot to mention I replaced the boost sensor after learning of a faulty batch from Forge, which reminds me I omitted the Forge atmospheric BOV from my mod list. I will check others if fixing the v-band clamp doesn't resolve this.

Edit: apologies, it was a solenoid that forge sent me a replacement for, not a sensor.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all have been well. I haven't posted in months because my car hasn't actually run in months. I have exhausted the services of the best Fiat/Alfa tech in my region, as well as the two top aftermarket tuners in my area. None of us can find the cause of my P0234 overboost code.

Boost leak testing revealed that an internal gasket within the EC/GPop turbo was faulty, where the compressor housing mounts. Gpop overnighted me a new gasket, and the turbo was disassembled and reassembled, and the system was boost leak tested again with good results.

I have replaced every piece of silicone hosing under the hood of my car. I have attempted to run tunes on both the factory WGA and the Turbosmart. No matter what, the car will overboost at highway speeds under 50%-ish throttle. I have an email chain with Toby and Chris from EC that's 30+ emails long, plus probably some others in various other discussions. None of us can figure this out as the situation currently stands.

Engine mod list is as follows:

EC V4
EC Turbo
EC Intercooler
Brisk Silver plugs
4C Coil packs
C&B Camshaft
Supersprint Catless Downpipe
GWR 2.5" Crossover Pipe
Supersprint Mid-pipe and Y-pipe

I'm at my wits' end. What else causes overboost codes besides leaks?

Any and all ideas, questions, or mockery are welcome!
which EC turbo?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

You are most welcome! Be glad it didn't turn into P1273, loss of throttle vacuum! If you haven't seen it, look for my Going All In! post and you can see the carnage that NOT catching that in time will eventually do.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are most welcome! Be glad it didn't turn into P1273, loss of throttle vacuum! If you haven't seen it, look for my Going All In! post and you can see the carnage that NOT catching that in time will eventually do.
I've been keeping loose tabs on the forum and did see that, but didn't realize that was the cause of the issue. Painful to see, but I'm almost as equally excited to see you pushing the envelope further as a result.

I had to look back at my records, but can confirm I've not seen that code yet. Seen P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1), but I'll fix this over the weekend and fingers crossed that's the last major issue preventing the car from running properly.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you saw that code, the car would be dead like mine. I recommend pulling the negative battery lead for 30ish minutes and clear the ECU so that it starts learning fresh after you get the band rotated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you saw that code, the car would be dead like mine. I recommend pulling the negative battery lead for 30ish minutes and clear the ECU so that it starts learning fresh after you get the band rotated.
Fair enough! I just knew I'd seen something close so had to check. Thank you again, so much.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I’m glad it was caught before it did turn drastic. I wish my car would have thrown a code for over boost or something before it melted down. I just got intermittent boost spikes but never a code for it.

Live and learn... sometimes the hard way!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m glad it was caught before it did turn drastic. I wish my car would have thrown a code for over boost or something before it melted down. I just got intermittent boost spikes but never a code for it.

Live and learn... sometimes the hard way!
I was definitely still able to put too many hard miles on the car with this setup. Going to do a compression check as well, haven't driven the car in a few weeks but I don't remember it idling fantastically.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
thank you. I plan on getting that turbo but not the forge bov or wga to prevent complications.

ill be sure to keep an eye out on these installation details.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
First thing I thought of when I read "turbo" was @Calehedron and wastegates.

If this turns out to be the problem, the OP owes Ken a bottle of something nice for helping him catch this before it turned catastrophic.

·
Registered
103 Posts

This can destroy a perfectly good engine guys. Our pistons, rods, and valves all have limits. We should all be checking for this and running boost gauges IMHO.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
This can destroy a perfectly good engine guys. Our pistons, rods, and valves all have limits. We should all be checking for this and running boost gauges IMHO.
I’ve said many times anyone who plans on modding their car should put in a boost gauge first. I’ve caught problems by using a boost gauge. It’s a shame Fiat didn’t insist that Mazda add a boost gauge to the dash layout.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts