Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Y'all! I ** *** ** fixed it!

None of the above prevented my overboost code issue from returning. I am so, so glad I made this thread and got hip to the v-band bolt problem before finding the actual issue.

It was the wastegate solenoid! Part number 04627297AB. I feel stupid because if you Google abarth p0234 wastegate solenoid, it becomes clear that this is a common issue for all 500 Abarths, Darts, and likely will be for the 124 as well. But again, no regrets on the journey to get here. Replacing the solenoid had resolved all issues, including the rapid fire boost dumping out of the BOV. Car holds boost strong to redline and now it's time to take this mama jama to Oklahoma!

Here's us 50 miles on back roads from home today with no CEL's and all the boost.

YES!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Y'all! I ** * fixed it!

None of the above prevented my overboost code issue from returning. I am so, so glad I made this thread and got hip to the v-band bolt problem before finding the actual issue.

It was the wastegate solenoid! Part number 04627297AB. I feel stupid because if you Google abarth p0234 wastegate solenoid, it becomes clear that this is a common issue for all 500 Abarths, Darts, and likely will be for the 124 as well. But again, no regrets on the journey to get here. Replacing the solenoid had resolved all issues, including the rapid fire boost dumping out of the BOV. Car holds boost strong to redline and now it's time to take this mama jama to Oklahoma!

Here's us 50 miles on back roads from home today with no CEL's and all the boost.

YES!
Very nice. Did you just replace the stock part with another Mopar part?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Very nice. Did you just replace the stock part with another Mopar part?
Yessir, just googled the part number and found the cheapest dealer to get it from. It's a Pierburg branded component, but the electrical connector seems to be the part that makes it mfg specific, potentially? ECS sells the same thing for a VW R for $20, would be nice to find a similar deal.

These can also be tested off of the vehicle for proper operation using an air compressor and a power source. There's YouTube videos, apologies not able to track down currently.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great solution. @Jon

·
Registered
289 Posts
Y'all! I ** * fixed it!
It was the wastegate solenoid!
@Jon ,

how did you figure out it was the wastegate solenoid? Did you run any tests, or did you go by the 500 forum postings you mentioned, installed a new one and the P0234 did not repeat?

Cheers, S

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
@Jon ,

how did you figure out it was the wastegate solenoid? Did you run any tests, or did you go by the 500 forum postings you mentioned, installed a new one and the P0234 did not repeat?

Cheers, S
I didn't test it, honestly, just replaced it. Mine was heavily abused. The bolt holding it to the block had fallen out and the sensor was effectively bouncing around in the engine bay held up only by hoses at the time it failed. I'd told myself I'd clean everything up once I got it running right. Turned out that cleaning everything up was part of getting it running right, who'd have thought?

There's plenty of Google results for "wastegate solenoid test". Based on what I've read though, I'm considering it a wear item worth inspecting every 25,000 miles. EDIT: more so considering this a wear item for my setup rather than a stock/lightly modified car.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Anyone reading through this thread, there are arrows on the v-band clamp and the turbo to show the proper alignment. Just FYI.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I cleaned mine out and was full of oil. Good tutorials online for checking it's working correcrly. Mine seemed fine. They aren't crazy money to replace.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks all. I got my first P0234 this morning, after 1 week on the 1446, 4 days on P3. No issues during that first week, also verified that the v-band clamp is installed properly (e.g. bolt is not obstructing wastegate actuator rod). I'll check on proper wastegate solenoid operation using the suggested tutorials later today, and report back.

Cheers, S

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
@sl_austin I'll also update the thread that one reason it's possible I got a P0234 and @Calehedron didn't is because my WGA wasn't cracking at the pressure the ECU was commanding due to how I clocked the compressor housing. Ensure your WGA is cracking how it should if you're encountering a similar issue and have made any changes to your turbo.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
And make sure you're taking it easy until this is sorted. I'm super lucky my turbo and/or engine aren't fubard.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I didn't test it, honestly, just replaced it. Mine was heavily abused. The bolt holding it to the block had fallen out and the sensor was effectively bouncing around in the engine bay held up only by hoses at the time it failed.
A quick visual check shows my solenoid firmly attached, all hoses and wires securely attached, everything clean. I think I may drive it for a few days to see if the P0234 repeats before taking things apart. Also curious what Toby/Brandon @EC come back with, I asked for some guidance.

Cheers, S

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
@sl_austin I'd bet money it isn't a tune issue, I've been down that road and literally have a 50+ email chain with them about mine where they very generously tried to help remotely.

I'd seriously recommend checking what pressure your WGA cracks at. Your WGA arm needs to be dead straight to where it connects at the clevis. PM me if you want to talk in depth.

Your car is actively saving itself. Please don't push it.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Anyone reading through this thread, there are arrows on the v-band clamp and the turbo to show the proper alignment. Just FYI.
This is what it looks like for anyone interested.

Reactions: Calehedron

·
Registered
289 Posts
@sl_austin I'd bet money it isn't a tune issue, I've been down that road and literally have a 50+ email chain with them about mine where they very generously tried to help remotely.

I'd seriously recommend checking what pressure your WGA cracks at. Your WGA arm needs to be dead straight to where it connects at the clevis. PM me if you want to talk in depth.

Your car is actively saving itself. Please don't push it.
Just got back from a drive after clearing the P0234. After ~4 miles lost power again, although not as much as this morning. Pending ECU fault code now was P0299 (underboost). No changes whatsoever since this.morning, aside from opening the hood, removing the turbo blanket to check v-clamp position. From Overboost error.to underboost, hardware issue, e.g. wastegate solenoid bad?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Just got back from a drive after clearing the P0234. After ~4 miles lost power again, although not as much as this morning. Pending ECU fault code now was P0299 (underboost). No changes whatsoever since this.morning, aside from opening the hood, removing the turbo blanket to check v-clamp position. From Overboost error.to underboost, hardware issue, e.g. wastegate solenoid bad?
Flash back to stock and give it a good thrashing. If you get no issues it's 100% a tune issue.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,875 Posts
Underboost is also a Pierburg solenoid problem sometimes. Just as many 500s suffer from it and needed new solenoids as the overboost. I got TONS of underboost codes, I got the point I left cruise on just to see the yellow light go OFF when the pending P0299 hit. Toby worked a lot of them out on the dyno but I would get one still if I let the RPM drop too low for the gear and throttle up too much. I am replacing mine because it has been a suspect of the underboost and maybe part of the reason I never got an overboost when I should have gotten TONS of them with the waste gate arm being blocked.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Flash back to stock and give it a good thrashing. If you get no issues it's 100% a tune issue.
Stock or P2? P2 ran without issues for 2 years, incl. numerous track outings.
What's also curious is that for the 4 days that P3 has been flashed, there were no issues. Until today. If it was the tune, would this not have come up earlier?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Underboost is also a Pierburg solenoid problem sometimes. Just as many 500s suffer from it and needed new solenoids as the overboost. I got TONS of underboost codes, I got the point I left cruise on just to see the yellow light go OFF when the pending P0299 hit. Toby worked a lot of them out on the dyno but I would get one still if I let the RPM drop too low for the gear and throttle up too much. I am replacing mine because it has been a suspect of the underboost and maybe part of the reason I never got an overboost when I should have gotten TONS of them with the waste gate arm being blocked.
Pierburg solenoid Google search shows Volvo parts. Do you by chance mean the wastegate solenoid?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,875 Posts
Pierburg solenoid Google search shows Volvo parts. Do you by chance mean the wastegate solenoid?
Yes, the wastegate solenoid is a Pierburg solenoid with whatever connector FCA deemed for it. The Forge BOA solenoid is also a Pierburg with the DV connector on it. Pierburg is the name of the type of solenoid that uses 2 different pressure inputs and an electrical throttle for the third output.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts