Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 124 Lusso.

Wife and I went to dinner tonight in our brand new Lusso. Have had the car less than 2 weeks. When I pulled up in the drive and turned off the motor I heard a faint whining noise like something electrical was still running. I popped the hood and I think the sound was coming from there. It quit after about 2 or 3 minutes. Thought maybe the fan was still running but it was not. Never having owned a turbo before I thought maybe it was coming from there but the whine or hum seemed to be coming from the left side of the engine compartment around the brake reservoir. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it might be. Like I said, I took delivery less than 2 weeks ago. Thanks in advance for any input.

Bill B.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's normal, It's the turbo cooling down.
Thank you. Right after I posted my question I found the answer further down in another thread. I'm sure it won't be the last time I ask a question that is pretty basic and already been answered. Thanks again.

Bill B.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
It's why we need such a large battery.

That's normal, It's the turbo cooling down.
The pump circulates oil through it until the temperature is low enough to avoid coking the bearings. That's just one of the reasons we see so few old turbocharged cars. They tried their turbochargers. My father-in-law went through three on his Saab 900.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Its one of the reasons we have such an apparently over-specced battery.

Reactions: ferretgt500

·
Registered
479 Posts
are you sure the faint whining noise wasn't the wife being upset because the ride was over? there is a remedy for that one......

·
Registered
262 Posts
Circulates coolant, not oil.
^^^^^

This is why it is semi important to be mindful of a slight cool down period before parking and shutting off the car (i.e. just driving normal for the last minute before shut off).

·
Registered
16 Posts
But if the car has a device that circulates coolant anyway - is there any need for a bit of sensible driving in the last minute or so? Also, if you have driven sensibly, or left the car idling for 30secs (which I was told to do by the dealer) - it seems the noise is there anyway. So does it not react to temperature but always perform a cooldown anyway?

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Always walk your horse to the barn.

Don't put your ride away hot and lathered!
Basic horsemanship applies here.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
To be honest, whenever I see this 'unusual sound...' post, I have a desire to say that "it's a rabid badger; be careful opening the hood."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts