Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my fiat spider lasso for 2 years
it is one of 3 fiats I own, 500C L and a 500X plus 6
love them all but the other 2 have nice little grow at start up and on acceleration ,but not the spider
so last year after researching exhaust for 4 months I settled on the thrush cat back
it removed the center resonator but keep a low baffler rear muffler
fits in same place as original exhaust, but at start up had the growl I wanted, but to much unless your fully to the floor
also made the car faster in the turbo lag area, loved it
but now that its been on the car for a year car has no lag any more and accelerates so much stronger and faster
my friend was so shocked how much faster It is now< could not catch me on a windy road in his Cadillac VYS with vet motor and 4wd)coming out of corners car jumps past 110 in few secs
plus the fat 3,1/2 tips on 2.3/4 pipes looks great
but car is still factory other wise
great bang for your buck

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a question, have you timed the acceleration from 0 to 60, 40 to 80 etc. both before and after the change? What were the results? It's truly the only way to assess the effect of any change one makes. Be interesting to see the data.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,316 Posts
It's that OEM cross pipe! Change that, change the car completely before even really starting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a question, have you timed the acceleration from 0 to 60, 40 to 80 etc. both before and after the change? What were the results? It's truly the only way to assess the effect of any change one makes. Be interesting to see the data.
sadly I did not
I have worked in automotive for 12 years and the car had a lag around10/15 mph
then turbo kicked in at 18/23 mph
this lag after 6 months with new exhaust is gone
car never backs off any more
my good friend was shocked how much faster the car is on same roads as before and same conditions
but no times
will be trying it on timed runs this summer
but should note the place this car really shines over the Miata is on windy , bumpy, curve roads because Fiat changed every thing to make this car better there then track
they wanted a European sports car not a track car
I have owned 75 cars so far and on a new England back road this car shines!!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
The Fiat 124 spider turbo kicks in at 3000 rpm and with the Goodwin Exhaust system and better performance air filter will kick in at 2500 rpm......I got that from Good-Win website before I modded my 124 Spider. 2500 rpm equates to around 40 mph whilst 3000 rpm equates to some 60 mph approx.
Please re check your figures and have a look at the Good-Win website or see article here from Brian Goodwin, who I am sure will give you and I both the answer. For anybody else reading this thread please just see when your turbo kicks in. Turbo lag is minor in our vehicle but exists and the fix is simple...GFB Diverter valve bolted on to front of turbo that uses a brass piston and heavy spring, it opens gradually as you press down on accelerator unlike the original diverter valve plastic piston. which is either open or closed, so you get lag. The GFB on it's own will not do anything for your performance figures but it will remove turbo lag instantly, the performance air filter and exhaust combines will add some performance depending on system and bore.
Again Brian Goodwin quotes the figures achieved on his professional equipment and many members of this forum have written their findings. Best Wishes, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Biggest bang for the buck is a tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Fiat 124 spider turbo kicks in at 3000 rpm and with the Goodwin Exhaust system and better performance air filter will kick in at 2500 rpm......I got that from Good-Win website before I modded my 124 Spider. 2500 rpm equates to around 40 mph whilst 3000 rpm equates to some 60 mph approx.
Please re check your figures and have a look at the Good-Win website or see article here from Brian Goodwin, who I am sure will give you and I both the answer. For anybody else reading this thread please just see when your turbo kicks in. Turbo lag is minor in our vehicle but exists and the fix is simple...GFB Diverter valve bolted on to front of turbo that uses a brass piston and heavy spring, it opens gradually as you press down on accelerator unlike the original diverter valve plastic piston. which is either open or closed, so you get lag. The GFB on it's own will not do anything for your performance figures but it will remove turbo lag instantly, the performance air filter and exhaust combines will add some performance depending on system and bore.
Again Brian Goodwin quotes the figures achieved on his professional equipment and many members of this forum have written their findings. Best Wishes, Cheers
ron
WOW in so surprised your turbo comes to full kick at 40 mph to 60 mph
mine comes on around 25 mph and is in full bost before 35mph
but I drive my car alone and drive it aggressively
but before new exhaust {2 inc pipe, Now almost 3 inc and no center muffler, plus low baffling)the car kicked at your numbers
love how it runs now

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
WOW in so surprised your turbo comes to full kick at 40 mph to 60 mph
mine comes on around 25 mph and is in full bost before 35mph
but I drive my car alone and drive it aggressively
but before new exhaust {2 inc pipe, Now almost 3 inc and no center muffler, plus low baffling)the car kicked at your numbers
love how it runs now
I said "around" and "approx".....the point being that the 124 Spider turbo kicks in at a steady 3000 rpm standard setting usually and so a lag at around 10/15 mph, turbo not active at that speed surely, nor at 18/23 mph and why did it take 6 months following fitting your exhaust to come alive? The Best Buck for your buck is the tune as "Sharkcohen" says .........a basic chip would give you something like +27hp- +46 Nms, average chip +34hp-58 Nms and a premium +41 hp-69 Nms.
I carried out the exhaust, air intake and DV+ mods and went from 140hp to "around" 152 hp and the Spider feels very quick but being so close to the ground, it will. The UK Abarth has 170 hp but some guys here are tuning up to around the "200" hp, which is "probably" as much as the 1.4 Multijet engine can take.
Maybe I have misunderstood your thread........Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Professor: Is the exhaust system you installed a custom setup. I have done a search and not come up with much info on it. Do you have any more info, photos or sound clips that you would be willing to share. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts