Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not be happier with my decision to trade in my Boxster. I really enjoyed my Porsche, but having traded in a 2005 Honda S2000 for the Boxster, there were many things I missed driving the far heavier Porsche. And Porsche maintenance/repairs in year three for me was $10,000+ Thankfully, the other five years of ownership were not so extreme. But this past summer, I was toying with trading up to a newer Porsche because I'd rather make a car payment than pay for repairs that I knew I'd be facing in the next 12 months (clutch, tires, brakes, soft top, etc.).

I'd found a couple Boxsters that were contenders and came close to pulling the trigger, but knew I needed to test-drive the Fiat first. I was attracted to the Miata's reviews, but simply don't care for the looks that much. I think the Fiat is a far prettier car. As it turns out, my local dealership had a Lusso with a manual transmission on the lot that I could test drive. I sat down in it and before I even started it, I knew I was likely to be a Fiat owner. The car felt fantastic! And then I test-drove it and haven't looked back since. Everything I missed about my S2000 (quick, light, short shifter, fantastic transmission, and excellent handling) was there. I was back in the refined go-cart experience that I loved in my Honda. After three months of ownership, I don't miss the Porsche. At all. And what's even better is that my payoff on the Fiat will be the same month as the warranty ends. Here's to four years of knocking on wood for no repairs. As a car dude, I looking at "what's next" on day two of ownership of a car, but I'm kind of having trouble thinking anything will provide the same balance of fun, comfort, and low cost of ownership as this thing will.

After digging around in here for a couple months, I figured I ought to finally join the community with more than a login.

Tom Barnard
Waco, Texas

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Congrats! How’s the power feel for you compared to the faster cars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! How’s the power feel for you compared to the faster cars?
That's a good question. The 124 reminds me a lot of driving the S2000. The big surge in torque in the S2000 of course comes on several thousand RPM higher, but the boost when the turbo hits in the 124 feels very similar to me...simply at a rev range that is more enjoyable around town. It's been too long since I owned my S2000 to remember totally and make a fair comparison, but the Fiat feels quite a bit like what I remember.

The Porsche was a radically different beast. Obviously it had 2 more cylinders and about 80 more horsepower than the Fiat. But that was really offset by 500 pounds of added weight and 12 extra inches of vehicle. The biggest complaint I had with the Porsche was that the power band was reasonably linear. There was never a point where I got any sort of boost. I'd like to test drive a new Boxster and see how the turbo-4 feels. All that said, the Porsche was only like 30 or so BHP more than the S2000. Given the weight, I felt like I bought a slower car when I bought the Porsche. Not that I didn't love it. It was a beautiful car. There is a reason that the S2000 is universally praised. In my case, mine really needed a transmission rebuild which I didn't want to deal with. One of the things I love about this Fiat is now dependable the NC 6-speed transmission has been over the last decade. If the Fiat had a bit more bhp, I have no problem believing it'd be considered the defacto S2000 replacement.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Welcome Tom. Gorgeous car. When I started tracking my car my single goal was to be faster than the doctor with the 718 Boxster S. After many mods, he is now only a few tenths faster than I am and I've decided to stop spending money trying to catch him. He loves my car and always compliments it. His Boxster is a gorgeous car with an exhaust that makes it sound like a demon. But for less than half the price, the Fiat is hard to beat. And making it have a few more ponies, well that's not so hard to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Tom. Gorgeous car. When I started tracking my car my single goal was to be faster than the doctor with the 718 Boxster S. After many mods, he is now only a few tenths faster than I am and I've decided to stop spending money trying to catch him. He loves my car and always compliments it. His Boxster is a gorgeous car with an exhaust that makes it sound like a demon. But for less than half the price, the Fiat is hard to beat. And making it have a few more ponies, well that's not so hard to do.
My first modification will likely be the AR axle back with resonators just because I miss the Porsche rumble. What are the easiest (and least likely to void warranty) ways to boost power in your opinion? Best bang for the buck in mods?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My first modification will likely be the AR axle back with resonators just because I miss the Porsche rumble. What are the easiest (and least likely to void warranty) ways to boost power in your opinion? Best bang for the buck in mods?
There's no way to boost power without putting your warranty in jeopardy. The AR axle back will give you the nice noise but won't add any power. The only way to significantly increase power is through a proper flash tune or adding a larger turbo but you most certainly risk your warranty. And to truly take advantage of those mods you'll want to add other supporting mods like a turbo back exhaust and larger intercooler. Intakes are very popular for this car but it's my opinion they don't add any significant power, especially as a standalone mod. The GFB DV+ diverter valve is a popular mod but also doesn't add power. And it's not necessary if you aren't noticing stumbling in the power curve. If you are, it helps smooth out those stumbles caused by the stock valve leaking boost.

You could add an ECU piggy back module to boost power but there are risks with those because they are tricking the ECU so to speak, but you can disconnect them and avoid warranty issues.

My recommendation is to put on the axle back, enjoy the noise and the car as is. When you are ready to take the leap we'll help you spend your money to make more power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no way to boost power without putting your warranty in jeopardy. The AR axle back will give you the nice noise but won't add any power. The only way to significantly increase power is through a proper flash tune or adding a larger turbo but you most certainly risk your warranty. And to truly take advantage of those mods you'll want to add other supporting mods like a turbo back exhaust and larger intercooler. Intakes are very popular for this car but it's my opinion they don't add any significant power, especially as a standalone mod. The GFB DV+ diverter valve is a popular mod but also doesn't add power. And it's not necessary if you aren't noticing stumbling in the power curve. If you are, it helps smooth out those stumbles caused by the stock valve leaking boost.

You could add an ECU piggy back module to boost power but there are risks with those because they are tricking the ECU so to speak, but you can disconnect them and avoid warranty issues.

My recommendation is to put on the axle back, enjoy the noise and the car as is. When you are ready to take the leap we'll help you spend your money to make more power.
That is sound advice! I don’t have any complaints about power. I was more just curious if there was any sort of “everyone does this one thing” types of quick solutions. Warranty is pretty important to me after the Porsche costs. The exhaust is easy and from what I’ve heard on YouTube can be a solid improvement. I’m never likely gonna track my car. I’ve got miles and miles of open country road out my door and rarely see cops.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I could not be happier with my decision to trade in my Boxster. I really enjoyed my Porsche, but having traded in a 2005 Honda S2000 for the Boxster, there were many things I missed driving the far heavier Porsche. And Porsche maintenance/repairs in year three for me was $10,000+ Thankfully, the other five years of ownership were not so extreme. But this past summer, I was toying with trading up to a newer Porsche because I'd rather make a car payment than pay for repairs that I knew I'd be facing in the next 12 months (clutch, tires, brakes, soft top, etc.).

I'd found a couple Boxsters that were contenders and came close to pulling the trigger, but knew I needed to test-drive the Fiat first. I was attracted to the Miata's reviews, but simply don't care for the looks that much. I think the Fiat is a far prettier car. As it turns out, my local dealership had a Lusso with a manual transmission on the lot that I could test drive. I sat down in it and before I even started it, I knew I was likely to be a Fiat owner. The car felt fantastic! And then I test-drove it and haven't looked back since. Everything I missed about my S2000 (quick, light, short shifter, fantastic transmission, and excellent handling) was there. I was back in the refined go-cart experience that I loved in my Honda. After three months of ownership, I don't miss the Porsche. At all. And what's even better is that my payoff on the Fiat will be the same month as the warranty ends. Here's to four years of knocking on wood for no repairs. As a car dude, I looking at "what's next" on day two of ownership of a car, but I'm kind of having trouble thinking anything will provide the same balance of fun, comfort, and low cost of ownership as this thing will.

After digging around in here for a couple months, I figured I ought to finally join the community with more than a login.

Tom Barnard
Waco, Texas

View attachment 73296
Welcome Tom. Beautiful car. Happy to see your in love with it. Steve @Chainringtattoo gave you some sound advise. Scroll through the forum. There is bountiful information available on every aspect of our car. The AR axle back is a great system. I had the nonresonated version and really enjoyed the sound. Due to mods I’m now running the Good-Win Racing full turbo back system.

Post some more pictures, when you can.

Dan

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

·
700 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts