Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Great to see that a discussion on the merits for and against has opened up, threads / information that shows/proves which turbo is best suited and why would be welcomed by all interested in, but weary of spending their hard earned cash on only to find, at this sort of outlay that they invested in an inferior products, so......keep it coming and whilst we are there a couple of further things ....Wastegate actuator springs have been discussed here and which spring for what...an adjustable actuator would do away with that requirement surely ? Also..the exhaust Crosspipe...reading all about the standard v the Good-win (and others) bigger bore / less air flow disruption....how much difference does it actually make and does not the "Venturi" effect of the standard Crosspipe actually assist airflow with its smaller diameter and slight kinking rather than disturb it ? With all these mods there is always a danger of the mod being sold to the masses for marketing / sales revenue rather than actual gains. We talk about "Best Bang for your Buck" a lot here with TUNE!, Tune! and Tune constantly being honoured, as it is proven by print out and feel.
This whole thread is aimed at getting a more accurate definicion of what's best suited and why.
Induction....EC V4 or BMC BIG filter system seem to be approved here whilst two or three exhaust systems stand out, for me Good-Win. but in between ...the OEM turbo and standard crosspipe handles it all fine, so is it just a case of wanting more power and for most members is it all just a waste of cash as it will never be explored as it should.....
Talk guys... Constructive reasons why or why not whilst understanding each others point, Thanks.
ron
@sharkcohen or @Chainringtattoo mentioned on multiple occasions that Fiat committed a crime with the stock crosspipe, so maybe they can answer this specific issue for you.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have just contacted Madness for more details and going down to the shop later today.
Good Man.....Well worth the discussion with them I should think.....looking forward to a detailed report back on all the above. And while you are up there..tell them to get a shift on with my BMC Maxflow Air Induction system....they had to order from Italy 14/05/20 as I have my Good-Win, SILA Titanium Turbo Blanket from Madness days away (has been stuck in Heathrow Customs) so once I plumb it all in I may well be number three on the list for a aFe / Madness turbo, who knows. It's good here,isn't it !

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Madness (Eric):

“Should basically perform the same as other stuffed turbos, it is more reliant on who you tune it with.”

Also learned that their piggy back has a 30 day money back, so might do that as well!

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@sharkcohen or @Chainringtattoo mentioned on multiple occasions that Fiat committed a crime with the stock crosspipe, so maybe they can answer this specific issue for you.
Yes, I did look back through this section for info....folk mention kinks and welds disturbing the flow in other articles elsewhere and "Volmetric Flowrate" (the volume of gas extracted from system in a given time) multiplication of cross section of tubing and speed of gas flow, the OEM pipe being restricted so inefficient turbo gas flow causing "possible" back pressure, whereas a BIG bore pipe reduces gas speed so all the boy racers are wasting their time looking cool !
I just don't see the standard crosspipe as being so bad as my Spider performs brilliantly already.
The thread I did find about the aFe turbo Chainringtatoo mentioned no dyno charts available from aFe ? and that the mid range power was improved with it, but that was about that..........not enough gain to justify the outlay.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
They’ve been sold before but not everyone posts reviews on the forums. It is still $400+ cheaper than EC so worth researching. I’m gonna focus on trying out the piggyback and consider sway bars first before big turbo.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts