Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue with Heritage Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have recently switched from the factory-fitted bulbs, to brighter and whiter lighting for the front of the car, and thought it may be a good shout to point others in the right direction, should they wish to make the same move.

If, like me, you have halogen rather than the xenon lights fitted to your 124 (Fiat or Abarth), then you may wish to change the regular halogen bulbs, which emit a yellow-ish light, to whiter halogen bulbs. There's already some great information provided by users regarding lighting upgrades for the 124, however, it is not necessarily specific to the UK.

So, if you're in the same boat, please take a look below:

Before & After

Left image shows the factory-fitted lighting, and the right image shows after-market road legal halogen bulbs with LED side lighting:

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

The lighting used is the following:

Headlights (Full Beam)

Maruta 5500K 'Super White' H15 Halogen Bulbs, £19.75

Headlights (Dipped Beam)

Maruta 5500K 'Super White' H11 Halogen Bulbs, £12.95

Side (or Position) Lights*

Philips LED-T10 6000K (also known as 'W5W') Ultinon Bulbs, £7.99 or Halfords 501 Essentials LED Bulbs, £3.49

Neither of these LED bulbs cause Canbus errors. You may wish to go for the Philips LED-T10 Xtreme Ultinon bulbs for brighter side lights, they're currently available at Amazon UK for £12.95.

Fog Lights

Total Cost:

Approx £49 + Delivery

*Note:
All above halogen lights are E-Marked and therefore will be suitable for passing an MOT, however, the W5W LEDs used in the side lights are not, and therefore they must changed out to regular halogen W5W bulbs which are E-Marked prior to attending an MOT.

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've not heard of Maruta bulbs before, any prior experience with them? I just did all mine, but stuck to brands i'd used before -

I didn't actually mean to upgrade anything - I only wanted a pair of headlights as one had blown, but accidentally bought 5000k blue/white bulbs, which totally shamed all the rest of the lights!

So I have now purchased 4x Philips Diamond Vision H11 for headlights & front fogs, and Osram Cool Blue Intense for highbeam / DRL - Total spend, um..... Quite a lot actually! :oops:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your new bulbs look great!

Has the change affected the range of the beams at night?
(The standard fit is barely acceptable, so any reduction would be a no-no for me)
I have always understood that the yellower light shines out further.

If the 5500K bulbs are at least as good as the standard ones then I will certainly be changing them!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've not heard of Maruta bulbs before, any prior experience with them? I just did all mine, but stuck to brands i'd used before -

I didn't actually mean to upgrade anything - I only wanted a pair of headlights as one had blown, but accidentally bought 5000k blue/white bulbs, which totally shamed all the rest of the lights!

So I have now purchased 4x Philips Diamond Vision H11 for headlights & front fogs, and Osram Cool Blue Boost for highbeam / DRL - Total spend, um..... Quite a lot actually! :oops:
No prior experience at all, the reviews looked good and for the price of two pints of Peroni at a pub in London, I thought it'd give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? 😅

All jokes aside, they appear to be one of the go-to brands for individuals attempting to achieve the 'Xenon-look', which they actually do very well.

Ah yeah! That's what happens. This car is like a can of Pringles, once you pop, you can't stop. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey all,

I have recently switched from the factory-fitted bulbs, to brighter and whiter lighting for the front of the car, and thought it may be a good shout to point others in the right direction, should they wish to make the same move.

If, like me, you have halogen rather than the xenon lights fitted to your 124 (Fiat or Abarth), then you may wish to change the regular halogen bulbs, which emit a yellow-ish light, to whiter halogen bulbs. There's already some great information provided by users regarding lighting upgrades for the 124, however, it is not necessarily specific to the UK.

So, if you're in the same boat, please take a look below:

Before & After

Left image shows the factory-fitted lighting, and the right image shows after-market road legal halogen bulbs with LED side lighting:

View attachment 87746

The lighting used is the following:

Headlights (Full Beam)

Maruta 5500K 'Super White' H15 Halogen Bulbs, £19.75

Headlights (Dipped Beam)

Side (or Position) Lights*

Philips LED-T10 6000K (also known as 'W5W') Ultinon Bulbs, £7.99 or Halfords 501 Essentials LED Bulbs, £3.49

Neither of these LED bulbs cause Canbus errors. You may wish to go for the Philips LED-T10 Xtreme Ultinon bulbs for brighter side lights, they're currently available at Amazon UK for £12.95.

Fog Lights

Total Cost:

Approx £49 + Delivery

*Note:
All above halogen lights are E-Marked and therefore will be suitable for passing an MOT, however, the W5W LEDs used in the side lights are not, and therefore they must changed out to regular halogen W5W bulbs which are E-Marked prior to attending an MOT.
These look good, might swap out the fogs bulbs since they look very old school against the LEDs I've got in Visibility pack. Thanks for update. G

·
Registered
291 Posts
So I have now discovered an error in my .pdf version of the owners manual! The print copy that came with the car correctly states high beam / DRL bulb is H15 - The searchable .pdf version that I have on the PC to save getting the book out and flicking through 200 pages says they are HB3 - Grrr....

H15 is the correct bulb (which has now been ordered) .

“Everything will be all right in the end. If it’s not all right, it is not yet the end”

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I bought these LED for my Murano head lights since 2018 and brighter then the Halogen. they were highly recommended by @Cpond and most members have installed them on the 124 spider.
Amazon.com: HIKARI Ultra H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs Conversion Kit, Prime Zes LED chips, Halogen Replacement 6K Cool White Foglight : Automotive
HIKARI Ultra H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs Conversion Kit, Prime Zes LED chips, Halogen Replacement 6K Cool White Foglight

But they have a new ones.

HIKARI 2021 Acme-X H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs, Ultra Brightness, Wider Driving Vision, All-in-One 1:1

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your new bulbs look great!

Has the change affected the range of the beams at night?
(The standard fit is barely acceptable, so any reduction would be a no-no for me)
I have always understood that the yellower light shines out further.

If the 5500K bulbs are at least as good as the standard ones then I will certainly be changing them!
Thanks Grey Thunder!

It's tough to call, as the factory-fitted bulbs have been fitted to the car for three years and so I am unsure whether they will have become dimmer over time, I'm guessing they would have although don't quote me on that! You're spot on, in theory the downside of using a bulb that emits a whiter light is that by coating the bulb casing with a tint of blue, you would block out some emission of the light and therefore I'd hazard a guess that if compared two lights with identical outputs, one being 3000K and the other 5500K, the former would have greater range.

That said, I was driving through deepest darkest Weybridge last night and found that even without street lights, the lights were more than sufficient, in fact, they were much better than my stock bulbs. That is just my opinion however! :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought these LED for my Murano head lights since 2018 and brighter then the Halogen. they were highly recommended by @Cpond and most members have installed them on the 124 spider.
Amazon.com: HIKARI Ultra H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs Conversion Kit, Prime Zes LED chips, Halogen Replacement 6K Cool White Foglight : Automotive
HIKARI Ultra H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs Conversion Kit, Prime Zes LED chips, Halogen Replacement 6K Cool White Foglight

HIKARI 2021 Acme-X H11/H8/H9 LED Bulbs, Ultra Brightness, Wider Driving Vision, All-in-One 1:1
This looks really interesting. I've always been concerned about how much heat they generate, and overheating (and subsequently the housing) of the units themselves - have you heard any horror stories? If we could find a lower priced variant on Amazon UK, I think we'd be quids in! :D

·
Registered
237 Posts

HIKARI brand is not the cheapest on the market but lights are one the best. Worthy to pay more.
A few years ago I also retrofitted my front lighting with LEDs bulbs.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Atmosphere Daytime Light Automotive lighting Gesture

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have Hikari on my truck: it is an enclosed location on the light, with a large rubber grommet sealing up where the bulb is mounted. They have a fan on them, with no real ability to extract that warm air. while the housing and grommet get warm, they are not too hot to touch at all.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
halogen bulbs are much hotter then the LED lights, so I don't think the heat should be an issue.

·
Registered
237 Posts
halogen bulbs are much hotter then the LED lights, so I don't think the heat should be an issue.
Correct, halogen bulbs also draw more current and put more load on wires and connectors, especially higher wattage incandescent bulbs. The halogen lamps were replaced with LEDs, due to the much longer lifespan, about ten times longer for LED over incandescent.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, I wonder why the LEDs have cooling fans then? If they're not as hot as halogens, then, they should not need the fans, unless they need to be operating in a cooler environment to run?

·
Registered
237 Posts
why the LEDs have cooling fans
LED lights are typical cold light sources with low color temperatures, which are much lower than the amount of infrared light in LED light compared to halogen lamps. However, LEDs are semiconductor devices that are sensitive to temperature and are not resistant to high temperatures. Poor heat dissipation can seriously shorten the life and brightness of LED lamp beads. The halogen lamp is resistant to high temperatures and does not require heat dissipation at all. This is why LED bulbs either have heat sinks or have fans.

Reactions: frankmar

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LED lights are typical cold light sources with low color temperatures, which are much lower than the amount of infrared light in LED light compared to halogen lamps. However, LEDs are semiconductor devices that are sensitive to temperature and are not resistant to high temperatures. Poor heat dissipation can seriously shorten the life and brightness of LED lamp beads. The halogen lamp is resistant to high temperatures and does not require heat dissipation at all. This is why LED bulbs either have heat sinks or have fans.
That's really interesting to know, thank you for the heads up. :D

Reactions: Scorpius

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have Hikari on my truck: it is an enclosed location on the light, with a large rubber grommet sealing up where the bulb is mounted. They have a fan on them, with no real ability to extract that warm air. while the housing and grommet get warm, they are not too hot to touch at all.
This is really good to know! I wish you'd said that they'd a fire risk now, because now I'm sorely tempted to buy some! :cry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts