Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
124Spider uses the old MX5 NC gearbox. There are some Turbo powered MX5 NC 2.0l on racetracks with more then 400nm torque and 300hp - with no problems.

So, why should the 124Spiders 1,4l tiny engine need a stronger clutch?

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
I am not saying it needs it. I am saying that they will likely become available. I know when I change out parts, I like to upgrade, so I wouldn't mind a lighter flywheel and stronger clutch, as long as I had to take it apart anyway.

Greg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Greg, plus I don't mind a bit of strip racing which benefits from a bit more clutch bite off the line. And as you pointed out there are usually huge weight savings available with single mass performance flywheels over stock. I saved over 15lbs on my last project car.

·
Vendor
3,334 Posts
I agree Greg, plus I don't mind a bit of strip racing which benefits from a bit more clutch bite off the line. And as you pointed out there are usually huge weight savings available with single mass performance flywheels over stock. I saved over 15lbs on my last project car.
Wow, a 15 pound reduction in weight that's bolted to the crank has to make a difference! Of course I doubt you could knock off that much on this car (unless you are comparing a fluid filled flywheel/torque converter automatic to a lightweight flywheel on a manual) but there may still be a noticeable improvement.

Greg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, a 15 pound reduction in weight that's bolted to the crank has to make a difference! Of course I doubt you could knock off that much on this car (unless you are comparing a fluid filled flywheel/torque converter automatic to a lightweight flywheel on a manual) but there may still be a noticeable improvement.

Greg
It sure did make a noticeable difference but the downside was serious chatter at idle. But worth it my opinion :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts