Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have recently purchased a new 2018 Classica with the intention of upgrading the car over time. As far as mods go it seems to me that flashing on a tune is one of the easiest ways to add power to the car. My concern is the talks about how the ECU records how many times that it has been flashed. Since the car is new I would rather not void the warranty if anything pops up. I see that Euro Compulsion has the clone option for their tune but I think that 700 over the base tune cost is a little much when I can purchase a used ECU for about 150 on ebay.

My question is can I swap the ECU in my car with a used one from ebay and tune that one? That way I could retain my untouched stock ECU but save a lot of money.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you want to be 100 % sure not to void your warranty you can use a piggyback ECM system. It works with your cars original ECM. You wont get as much horsepower as a direct tune but it can be removed quickly if needed and doesn't leave a trace behind on you ECM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have considered that as an option I know Euro Compulsion offered one as the EURO + Drive LITE but I no longer see that on their site. If the price is similar I would rather go with the flash tune so I would not need to end up purchasing a tune if I wanted to go to phase 2. Is the ECU clone more detectable than a piggyback unit?

Also I saw you purchased a piggy back unit from the forum have you had a chance to install it?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm no expert on the ECU but I don't believe you can just take a used ECU off of eBay and plug it. Each ECU is tied to a specific vehicle and must be programmed. I believe Eurocompulsion could probably wipe it and program it for you but at that point you're probably better off just buying a clone ECU directly from them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have considered that as an option I know Euro Compulsion offered one as the EURO + Drive LITE but I no longer see that on their site. If the price is similar I would rather go with the flash tune so I would not need to end up purchasing a tune if I wanted to go to phase 2. Is the ECU clone more detectable than a piggyback unit?

Also I saw you purchased a piggy back unit from the forum have you had a chance to install it?
Yes I have installed it and you can tell a definite difference. They have since starting a different unit which should have the same results. You may want to look into the one at Madness Auto too. It seems that their's has done away with the needed to get to the rear of the engine to install. This makes the install 100% easier. Getting to the cam sensor is interesting to say the least the first time you do it.

The piggyback tune module doesn't mess at all with your actual ECM. Once you uninstall it and install the bypass plug, unless they a especially looking for the harness there is no trace of the module. I went with this method due to emission testing required in my area. Also as you are thinking much less likely to cause warranty problems.

I am sure Both companies units are as good as the other. But not having to get to the cam sensor is a game changer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts