Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Abarth for a week now and although I've been driving manual since 1987 I find the extra torque at low revs we get from the sport button quite useful in delivering a smoother acceleration from stop - ironically - this is most noticeable at low speeds like when cruising on the lakeside at 34kph.

So I tend to always turn on sport mode as soon as the cold engine lamp shuts off, which makes me wonder, what's the point of having the "regular" mode then?

Is there a long term implication?

Am I damaging the engine by ALWAYS having sport mode on?

To be fair I'm still amazed at the car. All that fun for 8l/100km consumption on average is incredible!

PS: to whoever posted the photo of the 12V accessory plug FIAT hid in the most improbable location, thank you. I don't need it but I've been looking for it because that's the plug where we'd connect the compressor that comes with the flat tyre kit...

·
Administrator
1,933 Posts
The only significant implication I can see is more driving enjoyment.

Some people may find the throttle mapping of the sport mode to be too aggressive and difficult to drive comfortably.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my Abarth for a week now and although I've been driving manual since 1987 I find the extra torque at low revs we get from the sport button quite useful in delivering a smoother acceleration from stop - ironically - this is most noticeable at low speeds like when cruising on the lakeside at 34kph.

So I tend to always turn on sport mode as soon as the cold engine lamp shuts off, which makes me wonder, what's the point of having the "regular" mode then?

Is there a long term implication?

Am I damaging the engine by ALWAYS having sport mode on?

To be fair I'm still amazed at the car. All that fun for 8l/100km consumption on average is incredible!

PS: to whoever posted the photo of the 12V accessory plug FIAT hid in the most improbable location, thank you. I don't need it but I've been looking for it because that's the plug where we'd connect the compressor that comes with the flat tyre kit...
You might consider turning off sport mode in wet or slick conditions. Kind of like "rain mode" on BMW motocycles. It does trim the throttle response so you'd be less likely to initiate wheel spin. Just a thought...

Steve

·
Registered
478 Posts
The biggest implication is you smile more. After a while your face might get sore.

I hit the sport button as part of my start up process. The theory is the car is more tame. A lot of these "sport" modes exist to allow the car manufacturer to certify the car for better fuel mileage.

You are not going to hurt the engine one bit by always having it on. It isn't exactly wildfire with it pushed in. Just a lot more responsive and better torque mapping.

I find it annoying sports cars have sports mode. They should be sport mode by default and then maybe have an eco mode I can ignore.

Oh, and the 12v charger is deep in the passenger footwell, under the dash close to the center. It is there. You have to look far back.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might consider turning off sport mode in wet or slick conditions. Kind of like "rain mode" on BMW motocycles. It does trim the throttle response so you'd be less likely to initiate wheel spin. Just a thought...

Steve
Good point about the slick conditions.

How about engine break in? Does that even still exist?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I always turn it on during start up. Agreed, seems pointless for a stock car.

But I am very excited to have it when I do the EC tune. Having the current "Sport" be the new "Normal" and then the new Sport being the Stage 1 tune. That is going to be very useful.

Or will the new "Sport" become my new default!? ��

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not a big fan of how the car responds in non-sport mode at low speeds. So it's on all the time. Once you get underway, I think the difference is less pronounced.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm a Sports Mode addict. I always toggle it before I shift into reverse in my garage. Wish someone could program it as default.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I find the extra torque at low revs we get from the sport button quite useful in delivering a smoother acceleration from stop - ironically - this is most noticeable at low speeds like when cruising on the lakeside at 34kph.
Okay, y'all have piqued my interest due to this single benefit, low rpm performance. I'm a manual Classica guy, no sport button for me (I don't need it for its other benefits), but additional low rpm torque would be *very* welcome.

I have not paid any attention to the aftermarket devices or programs that achieve such performance results. Before I start blindly charting the waters, can you please point me in the direction of products that would help me get some of that additional low rpm torque?

For reference, I do already have a few helpful bits installed, namely the GFB DV+, the EC V1 air intake, and the upgraded aFe dry air filter. I will not deviate from the stock exhaust system, though, a decision made after weeks of research and hand wringing.

Thanks.

Steve.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Most of my normal daily commute to work is bumper to bumper slow but steady speeds not much use to turn on the sport mode, except when i get on the highway because i have to pull out from a complete stop and reach speed to merge with traffic, some of which also is trying to get off at the same exit. Now when i travel into traffic like the beltways around Baltimore and DC, i always keep it in sports mode so i can zip into and out of spots as needed. When you are just merging and then need to be 4 lanes to the left right away to catch the next left exit it helps to have the extra oomph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts