Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, thought I'd try my hand at a modification so just installed a eurocompulsion v1 intake in red. Didn't take long at all once I had a clamp question answered (none evidently needed on the small hoses). Looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing if I can tell a difference. (I know it will be small.)

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Okay, thought I'd try my hand at a modification so just installed a eurocompulsion v1 intake in red. Didn't take long at all once I had a clamp question answered (none evidently needed on the small hoses). Looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing if I can tell a difference. (I know it will be small.)
Mine came with clamps for the small hoses.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Chris at Eurocompulsion, they determined the clamps were unnecessary since these are very low pressure hoses and they thought it looked better without the clamps so they have stopped including them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
According to Chris at Eurocompulsion, they determined the clamps were unnecessary since these are very low pressure hoses and they thought it looked better without the clamps so they have stopped including them.
I'll be taking them off in the morning, since I agree it looks better without them.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'd rather they were included personally. For one to even come off through vibration or the like risks grit getting into the turbo. No thanks!

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I'd rather they were included personally. For one to even come off through vibration or the like risks grit getting into the turbo. No thanks!
There is absolutely no way that can happen. Clamps are not needed in those locations, the fittings will not leak or come off. Keep in mind we have used ports made to those exact same specs in our Fiat 500 intakes for years with zero issues.

Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've actually thought about replacing the other two clamps with black ones - I'd think that would look better. but as a former Delorean owner I do like stainless. Could also do that for the non-necessary ones for that matter. In any case, the hoses are held in place elsewhere and the intake is held in place on both ends so I can't really see a way for them to vibrate loose. There is a lot of friction where they attach as well.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yea.. the small hoses off of the intake will never let go through vibration. Having worked on multiple other vehicles even for years, trust me... they don't go anywhere at all. They never need clamps.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Each to their own, but I'll stick to clamping my hoses even if only with a spring clip.
You don't have one of our intakes. If you did you would feel how well the silicone tube grips the fitting. It's very secure and the fittings will not come out without quite a bit of intentional force. It's certainly more secure than your stock intake with a spring clamp and those don't come out either.

The whole reason we design those ports that way is so that clamps are not needed. Not only does it look better, but it makes servicing the car easier. We have made hundreds of intakes with those same ports and no clamps. Nobody has had a problem with them. Now if someone wants to use clamps on those ports, that's fine, we leave enough materiel there so you can do that, but it's not necessary.

Greg

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't have one of our intakes. If you did you would feel how well the silicone tube grips the fitting. It's very secure and the fittings will not come out without quite a bit of intentional force. It's certainly more secure than your stock intake with a spring clamp and those don't come out either.

The whole reason we design those ports that way is so that clamps are not needed. Not only does it look better, but it makes servicing the car easier. We have made hundreds of intakes with those same ports and no clamps. Nobody has had a problem with them. Now if someone wants to use clamps on those ports, that's fine, we leave enough materiel there so you can do that, but it's not necessary.

Greg
Greg, I agree with you on how well the tension holds the hoses. On the other hand, at some point y'all must have felt the clamps were necessary because you included them in the kits that previously went out and they ARE in the pictures in the instruction manual, which is why I sent the email asking. According to Chris, you made the change recently. I'm glad you found them unnecessary but, personally, I would have preferred you just included them as an option in that case.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
That was a mistake, the guy who made those instructions and set things up the packaging contents normally does intercooler piping. This was the first time he did the instructions for intakes. The forces inside intercooler pipes are totally different. He has been re-educated.

Greg

·
Registered
958 Posts
Greg, I agree with you on how well the tension holds the hoses. On the other hand, at some point y'all must have felt the clamps were necessary because you included them in the kits that previously went out and they ARE in the pictures in the instruction manual, which is why I sent the email asking. According to Chris, you made the change recently. I'm glad you found them unnecessary but, personally, I would have preferred you just included them as an option in that case.
Send me your address and I'll send you the ones I took off. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts