Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had the dealer do my first oil change yesterday. When I got it back, the average mpg dropped to 8 and had an extra mile on the car. I've worked as a tech at dealerships before, so I know how it is, but I'm still unhappy about someone else taking a romp in my car without permission. I can only assume the injectors would have to have been at 100% duty cycle to get that low on a 1.4 engine. With the clutch, brakes, and tires not covered under warranty, it's certainly something to be concerned about.

I've searched around, and although I'm somewhat new to owning an OBDII car, I've been looking for a way to set a limit somewhere in the car so this doesnt happen again. I'm guessing my only options are a piggyback/standalone EMS. Ideas?

Also hoping 5127394PC is the correct oil

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just had the dealer do my first oil change yesterday. When I got it back, the average mpg dropped to 8 and had an extra mile on the car. I've worked as a tech at dealerships before, so I know how it is, but I'm still unhappy about someone else taking a romp in my car without permission. I can only assume the injectors would have to have been at 100% duty cycle to get that low on a 1.4 engine. With the clutch, brakes, and tires not covered under warranty, it's certainly something to be concerned about.

I've searched around, and although I'm somewhat new to owning an OBDII car, I've been looking for a way to set a limit somewhere in the car so this doesnt happen again. I'm guessing my only options are a piggyback/standalone EMS. Ideas?

Also hoping 5127394PC is the correct oil
The reason for the low mpg is most likely because they had it idling for quite a while. A spirited joy ride is not out of the question, but much less likely to give you 8 mpg.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The reason for the low mpg is most likely because they had it idling for quite a while. A spirited joy ride is not out of the question, but much less likely to give you 8 mpg.
I was going to say the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sit in the car and let it idle occasionally when I'm out chasing those dumb pokomanz, and although it does drop noticeably, it doesnt drop from 30 to 8 like that. I filled up the tank not long ago (over 20 miles), and even with a fresh tank and a quick romp myself, it doesnt go below 12-14 for "average" mpg. This was not the case.

I was there for about 2 hours, and even if it was running the whole time, it still would not have gotten that low

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt it, that's most likely part of what's stored in memory. They would also have no reason to disconnect the battery for an oil change and tire rotation. The radio settings were untouched as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i had been thinking that it was smart enough that it didn't calculate mpg when not in gear and idling? i guess i was wrong to think that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had been thinking that it was smart enough that it didn't calculate mpg when not in gear and idling? i guess i was wrong to think that.
Nope. When it's idling, it's still using gas which will affect gas mileage, you just get no added mileage from it. I actually figured it would use less at idle than it does and assumed MultiAir would have tiny amounts of valve lift and duration, but I suspect if they did have less of each, throttle response from a stop would be noticeably worse

·
Registered
349 Posts
I doubt it, that's most likely part of what's stored in memory. They would also have no reason to disconnect the battery for an oil change and tire rotation. The radio settings were untouched as well.
Unless they wanted to clean the battery terminals for some reason, that sometimes is part of the overall service they do. Just depends on what they look at during those service visits.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
While it's already said and done, this is why I service my own vehicles (with the exception of costly warranty repairs).

I had the same thing happen to me once. I had some work done, and the clutch bite point felt noticeably higher once I got the car back. At 55,000 miles, the flywheel started chattering so I took it in for warranty replacement, and they found out that the clutch was heavily distressed and glazed.

All to save myself 15-30 minutes on an oil change? No thanks. I can buy 3 changes worth of oil for the price the dealer charges anyway.

That being said, they more than likely reset your average fuel economy reading, which resulted in a low number afterward since they probably only idled it and drove it around the lot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If I'm running the numbers in my head correctly, the math does not work. Assuming you reset the MPG when you filled up and had run it as you say over 20 miles and it was showing 30 mpg average then for it to get down to 8mpg average so quickly they would have had to burn a considerable amount of fuel while only adding 1 mile - your tank would have been noticeably more empty.

It looks to me like they reset the MPG indicator, and then 8 mpg while backing the car out and bringing it around to you would not be out of the norm. The last time I had my oil changed they forgot to reset one of the indicators (there are 3). I took it back in, and they tried to reset it, by doing some button push combination with the info button. I think that's for another model of Fiat.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They wouldn't be able to run the fuel injectors at 100% duty cycle on this car even if they tried, so one less thing to worry about.

We can do valet calibrations with the Euro+Drive if someone is interested. I have a very nice one that, when the throttle is used aggressively, just pops and bangs a lot without going anywhere. I find it effective because the car moves very slowly and attracts an enormous amount of attention to the driver, which discourages any thoughts of romping or joyriding.

·
Registered
249 Posts
They wouldn't be able to run the fuel injectors at 100% duty cycle on this car even if they tried, so one less thing to worry about.

We can do valet calibrations with the Euro+Drive if someone is interested. I have a very nice one that, when the throttle is used aggressively, just pops and bangs a lot without going anywhere. I find it effective because the car moves very slowly and attracts an enormous amount of attention to the driver, which discourages any thoughts of romping or joyriding.
Sounds almost like ignition cut 2 step... which is another thing that would be very fun to have. Any plans for that in phase 2?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may very well be wrong about them doing it, I've just never seen the MPG meter that low, regardless of how I've driven it or how long I've left it idling. It's started to slowly go back up to my normal average of 36. I cant imagine a lube tech would need to clean the battery terminals on it for the very first oil change and no indication of corrosion on the terminals so far.

It would be more likely that they accidentally reset the MPG while resetting the service light, though even then 8 is low.

Do we know what size injectors this car came with? As an aside note of curiosity.

I havent even done a BPV/BOV or any modification on the car at all yet. The longer I own it and love driving it though, the more I wish the factory tune wasnt appalling

1 - 15 of 15 Posts