Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From a "sporting perspective" and you don't include LSD?
I was comparing the Lusso and the Classico in that post. Neither comes standard with LSD. LSD is one of the performance items that comes standard with the $700 upgrade for the Abarth. That is a big reason I thought the Abarth upgrade was such a value.

Reactions: racergary

·
Registered
96 Posts
I concur with several of the Lusso owners - I chose it because of the quieter exhaust and less stiff suspension. I found the Miata suspension too rock-hard, and I thought the Abarth would get me too close to that, so I went with the argento Lusso with the premium package. I too wanted the amenities I was used to, since my previous ride was an SC400. But I did want the manual 6-speed, which is hard to find in the Lusso premium. I'm totally satisfied. What a fun, elegant little car.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Amante,
I understand perfectly. Again, the point was for those looking for the features of the Abarth, $700 is a good value, for what is included. If those features don't interest you, than spending $1 to get them makes no sense. Particularly if you are looking for a quieter car with a softer ride. You have the quintessential "Gentlemen's sporting vehicle" and I applaud your choice.

Reactions: JFernald

·
Registered
231 Posts
Amante, I understand perfectly. Again, the point was for those looking for the features of the Abarth, $700 is a good value, for what is included. If those features don't interest you, than spending $1 to get them makes no sense. Particularly if you are looking for a quieter car with a softer ride. You have the quintessential "Gentlemen's sporting vehicle" and I applaud your choice.
It IS all about what YOU want in the car. I'm glad we have options for this wonderful roadster. I just don't care for the looks of the Abarth but the basic Spider has the classic roadster looks which appeal to me. The Spider in white, with the saddle leather, is gorgeous to my eyes. That pinned-down the Lusso for me, especially with the more comfortable ride. For a small roadster, the ride is quite compliant and to my liking, without sacrificing much maneuverability for the typical around-town vehicle, just perfect for me. I had to have the manual, though, and my patience was eventually rewarded. To add the cherry to the top, I upped the performance a little and got more of the "Italian-sounding" exhaust by going with the Good-win Racing system. For me? I have the optimum "Italiano" roadster, all for a lot less than I would have ever expected. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
It IS all about what YOU want in the car. I'm glad we have options for this wonderful roadster. I just don't care for the looks of the Abarth but the basic Spider has the classic roadster looks which appeal to me. The Spider in white, with the saddle leather, is gorgeous to my eyes. That pinned-down the Lusso for me, especially with the more comfortable ride. For a small roadster, the ride is quite compliant and to my liking, without sacrificing much maneuverability for the typical around-town vehicle, just perfect for me. I had to have the manual, though, and my patience was eventually rewarded. To add the cherry to the top, I upped the performance a little and got more of the "Italian-sounding" exhaust by going with the Good-win Racing system. For me? I have the optimum "Italiano" roadster, all for a lot less than I would have ever expected. :)
I like the way you think. I to prefer the Lusso over the Abarth. It's quieter, not as aggressive looking, the bright trim and bright wheels look very elegant in my eyes and a saddle interior adds a touch of class. It is indeed a more gentlemanly vehicle but a sports car none the less. :). However if performance is an important factor in the decision process Abarth is the better choice. Choice is a wonderful thing!

Paul

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like the way you think. I to prefer the Lusso over the Abarth. It's quieter, not as aggressive looking, the bright trim and bright wheels look very elegant in my eyes and a saddle interior adds a touch of class. It is indeed a more gentlemanly vehicle but a sports car none the less. :). However if performance is an important factor in the decision process Abarth is the better choice. Choice is a wonderful thing!

Paul
Thank you! Love my Lusso and ended-up getting most of the Abarth engine performance with the upgraded exhaust. Happy Spidering!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thank you! Love my Lusso and ended-up getting most of the Abarth engine performance with the upgraded exhaust. Happy Spidering!
I, too, love my Lusso and with the upgrades I've made also have better performance than the stock Abarth. Plus - I love the color, which is not available on the Abarth - Bronzo Magnetico - an incredibly beautiful and elegant color. (And the fastest color, too, regardless of what you may read regarding red.) :) I constantly get compliments.

Reactions: jpwfz6

·
Registered
430 Posts
I, too, love my Lusso and with the upgrades I've made also have better performance than the stock Abarth. Plus - I love the color, which is not available on the Abarth - Bronzo Magnetico - an incredibly beautiful and elegant color. (And the fastest color, too, regardless of what you may read regarding red.) :) I constantly get compliments.
What upgrades have you made?

Paul

·
Registered
560 Posts
What upgrades have you made?

Paul
I really need to sort out how to make those appear with my signature, I guess - Anyway, I did the GFB DV+, the EC V1 (in red), AutoRicambi muffler delete (with resonators), so between all of those I've made up for that 4 hp difference. I also added a lit Windrestrictor and custom striping on the sides, and removed the Bose subwoofer from the passenger floor and replaced it with a much better sub in the well in the trunk. I'd started to order a piggyback tuning module but due to shipping delays decided to hold off until I have time to install it. (Or convince myself to spend the money on a direct tune.) I also did the tweaks in the entertainment system.

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bronzo Magnetico! I most likely would have gone with that color if my preferred dealer had gotten a Lusso manual in it, prior to the white manual Lusso, with saddle leather, finally showing-up. Nice!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I believe every bodies personal choice is their correct choice. But for me all it took to go with the Abarth was turning on the sport mode. That and it was only 1500 dollars more than the Lusso parked next to it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I believe every bodies personal choice is their correct choice. But for me all it took to go with the Abarth was turning on the sport mode. That and it was only 1500 dollars more than the Lusso parked next to it.
sport mode = CRACK!
can't get enough

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
She chose me, not the other way around. Drove by the dealer at night, walked over the gate to peer into the showroom and there she was, all nero, with tan seats (could'nt get that combo on the Abarth). Honeymoon since Spring, no slowing down..

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I got my Lusso i wanted every option with stick.. mainly for the bose and headlights.. , I didnt like the front and rear end treatments of the Abarth, and thought the MX5 ND was ugly as sin...... Also, I didnt want the harsher ride aspect of the Abarth....... NOW???? I am totally in LOVE with the MX5 ND after seeing so many really nice modded ones......... especially a guy that vinyl wrapped his in an almost identical blue as Italia Blue... and the Abarth has grown on me... in the Aluminum Silver color... I'd have a REALLY hard time deciding between an MX5, Abarth, and Now.. The Red Top with that killer white interior...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi
Mine is the Lusso Plus which I went for, for various reasons. The Abarth wasn't really an option for me due to cost and just the way it looks. I went into a Fiat dealer and saw the S Design and that for me was the best looking option, however, I wasn't prepared to pay the £27,000 asking price. So I found a used White Lusso Plus with the tan interior with 3600 miles on a 16 plate. I paid just under £16,000 for what is essentially a new car. I intend to spend another £1,000 on the car to recreate the look of the S Design and gain the performance in terms of BHP of the Abarth. I have now spent £249 on the remap and have the performance. Next was going to be the black wheels, however, I'm now tempted by a replacement SS exhaust to gain another 10 BHP and a little extra burble...
There is no right or wrong answer, only the one that suits you :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Abarth is not worth the thousands more IMO, but that is b/c I will be modding & changing half the stuff anyway so it'd be wasteful. I do with the Lusso could get Recaros, but I will live.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I got my Lusso i wanted every option with stick.. mainly for the bose and headlights.. , I didnt like the front and rear end treatments of the Abarth, and thought the MX5 ND was ugly as sin...... Also, I didnt want the harsher ride aspect of the Abarth....... NOW???? I am totally in LOVE with the MX5 ND after seeing so many really nice modded ones......... especially a guy that vinyl wrapped his in an almost identical blue as Italia Blue... and the Abarth has grown on me... in the Aluminum Silver color... I'd have a REALLY hard time deciding between an MX5, Abarth, and Now.. The Red Top with that killer white interior...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You can wrap your 124 too ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ordered the abarth because i wanted the brembo brakes. That was basically it the hp gain is nice too. I honestly prefer the look of the classica/lusso however, and if i ever come across a good condition front bumper from a classica, i might very well swap it over.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Each version helps position Spider differently:

Classica appeals to a buyer who wants a traditional roadster without all the bells and whistles. Some people really don’t care about leather seats, navigation or any of that jazz. Classica also attracts buyers who believe that you should build not buy your sports car; buy a Classica because they plan to modify it. Why pay for a bunch of stuff that you plan to throw away, anyway...?

Lusso appeals to a buyer who is attracted by 124 Spider’s history and heritage but doesn’t want to give up on the modern comfort and technology features. The saddle leather, smooth ride and restrained exhaust hark back to the original, while the heated seats, auto AC, cross-path detection and navigation bring things back to the present. Lusso represents the flagship model among Spider traditionalists.

Abarth appeals to someone like me, who never really paid much attention to Fiats before but fell in love with 124 Spider. Although I am an existing FCA owner I could be considered a Fiat “conquest”. Abarth’s role is to help 124 Spider expand its traditional owner base, by making its performance and styling potential stand out more obviously. Like Lusso, Abarth also serves a flagship role to the staunchly Fiat loyals who want to show with pride what their brand is capable of.

Each one of these trim levels serves a specific role critical in attracting various types of buyers. This is a strategy FCA has used very successfully with Jeep Wrangler (Sport, Sahara and Rubicon).

I appreciate the diversity of buyers FCA attracts with these different flavors. It only makes our community more interesting.

PS - if I could pick and choose, I’d get the Lusso saddle interior with the Abarth exterior and exhaust :D

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Lusso appeals to a buyer who is attracted by 124 Spider’s history and heritage but doesn’t want to give up on the modern comfort and technology features. The saddle leather, smooth ride and restrained exhaust hark back to the original, while the heated seats, auto AC, cross-path detection and navigation bring things back to the present. Lusso represents the flagship model among Spider traditionalists.
Yes! This is exactly why the Lusso appealed to me.

Reactions: Aldo
21 - 40 of 46 Posts