Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used or have experience with these walnut valve cleaning units? Kinda looks like a little shop vac? Interesting. Ebay link - not affiliated.
Engine Intake Pipe Valve Carbon Clean Walnut Powder Deposition Cleaning Machine | eBay

Intriguing, but is it just hoo ha? I have a takeout transplant with 36K for temp use and am wondering if this would be something to consider prior to insert other than the normal prep?
GDI is notorious for build up in that mileage range. It would be much easier on the stand. Just a thought, interested in opinions.
Thanks.
Product Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
996 Posts
I have heard of industrial turbine machinery (think gas turbines, like a jet engine) being cleaned with walnut shells, I guess the shells quickly turn to the "sand" they are talking about. Sounds plausible, but paying someone to "decoke" your cylinder head (Do people really do that any more? The last car engines I decoked were a Fiat 850 and "classic" 124 Spider) would surely cost a lot less than the 900 bucks for that gismo?

What do you mean by "I have a takeout transplant with 36K for temp use"? Something's got lost in translation 🤪

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently, this type of intake valve cleaning has becoming a typical requirement for GDI engines and has motivated some of the shift to dual injection systems. Lots to read on the internet, lots of different ways to approach, but after about 20k I understand carbon buildup begins to rob performance, etc. from accumulation. No fuel with additive flowing past the intake to help clean carbon deposits with GDI.

The EBAY unit was being considered for use on a 36k temp drivetrain in my 124 prior to install of original. My original 11k unit went boom. Using this one while I mod/reconfigure/rebuild the 11k original. See my clutch post/ pictures. Still have to get the car back from the stealer. But, opportunity for investigation of new tools - ummmmm.

Decoking is a lost art. I have two '59 British Ford 100e's (an Anglia coupe and Squire wagon, "sit up an beg"s) with 1172cc flatheads, 3-speeds. Decoking is part of the regular maintenance called out in the owner's manual in the glove box. 'Course, the heater box and lighter were considered as luxury options as well, lol. I also have a '78 124 with dual weber 40's, etc. - sister car.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi....Can't remember the mix any more but we used a air powered foam mix to clean the rotors and stators on gas turbine engines some 50 years back, followed by a fresh water powered wash, can't imagine chucking crushed walnuts at it would be helpful so in a "Otto Cycle" 4 stroke ? Like Azzura says above "Do people really do that any more".....
Sand Blasting would potentially cause damage, pitting, rust should not be an issue anyway, correct lubrication these days includes all the "vitamins" required to keep engine wear and correct operation sorted....save your cash, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip Ron. It's not an issue of corrosion but one of carbon build up from the recirculation of fumes from the PCV system in GDI engines and applies to the 1.4 multifuel. It's pretty well documented and the process is a good margin generator for dealers. Unlike conventional approaches, GDI means the intake valve never get "washed" with fuel. Carbon accumulates and limits flow. Almost like cardiovascular disease, lol. Anyway, feel free to google it. Removal with walnut shells (not sand) is pretty typical. Chemical removal with CRC cleaner is also the given DIY. It is a weakness of the GDI system. No lubrication or fuel additive will address it - the valve never gets wet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well now, let me eat crow. I had always been under the impression that the 1.4 multifuel is GDI not direct port. Then I thought, hmmm, let me double check that. Below is an outtake from the FIAT TSM. I humbly say - nevermind. And saved some money too!
Font Parallel Screenshot Engineering Brand

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
593 Posts
Valves and pistons will carbon up with multi-port fuel injection too. As I work for a new car dealer, one that sells a service that is called an induction system clean service, I can honestly tell you do not buy it. We inject a chemical, with the engine running, that is supposed to remove carbon deposits. Depending on the dealer, typical cost is $150 to $200. Save that money and just make sure you are using "Top Tier" fuel. (Go to "www.toptiergas.com" to find a list of gas stations that sell Top Tier in your area, and for a more complete description / video of what Top Tier is. For those who don't know, Top Tier fuel is a formulation prescribed by manufacturers such as GM, Toyota, Honda and BMW for use in their cars and is designed to keep engines clean and running properly. Shell, Mobil, Citgo and others provide Top Tier fuel. If you feel you need something more to keep our engines clean, I recommend an occasional bottle of "Techron" by Chevron for about $20 and nothing else. Best, s

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
268 Posts
I was about to say and then discovered you discovered yourself, the 1.4 is not direct injected.

So to clarify for anyone else reading this later you absolutely don't have to do "valve cleaning" procedures on a 1.4 multiair.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
870 Posts
I just read this and was going to tell you the multiair engine is port injected.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brain fart on my part. I don't know why I was thinking multifuels were GDI.
Must have been a moment of delusion.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I have used SEAFOAM on my bike
and others have used it and is well recomended. I will use it in my car
since it will be 5 summers and have 26K km.

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
84 Posts
Valves and pistons will carbon up with multi-port fuel injection too. As I work for a new car dealer, one that sells a service that is called an induction system clean service, I can honestly tell you do not buy it. We inject a chemical, with the engine running, that is supposed to remove carbon deposits. Depending on the dealer, typical cost is $150 to $200. Save that money and just make sure you are using "Top Tier" fuel. (Go to "www.toptiergas.com" to find a list of gas stations that sell Top Tier in your area, and for a more complete description / video of what Top Tier is. For those who don't know, Top Tier fuel is a formulation prescribed by manufacturers such as GM, Toyota, Honda and BMW for use in their cars and is designed to keep engines clean and running properly. Shell, Mobil, Citgo and others provide Top Tier fuel. If you feel you need something more to keep our engines clean, I recommend an occasional bottle of "Techron" by Chevron for about $20 and nothing else. Best, s
Checked out the link to TOP TIER GAS. Your link above doesn't go there but if you insert "gas" into the web address shown "toptier.com" it does take you to the proper address "toptiergas.com". I put in my zip code and, low and behold, a Shell station 3/4 miles away was identified. I never go there as I get a discount at the Kroger gas pump across the street. I intend to adjust my fuel source. Thanx for the head's up.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
593 Posts
Hi @FlyDex , you would be surprised at how many people don't know about Top Tier gasoline - even the people who work at the gas stations don't have a clue. The automobile manufacturers, led by GM and BMW years ago pressed the fuel companies to go ahead with this. Shell was one of the first to market Top Tier gas, and all grades of Shell are Top Tier. Beware of "no name" gas stations. Also note one big supplier, Gulf, is not on the list. In our neck of the woods Cumberland Farms sells alot of gas, and they are not on the list either . . . After all these years! Best, s.

·
Registered
593 Posts
To @FlyDex and all others that are interested. Verified that when I clicked on the link previously it went to a site that was "Top tier" been though toptiergas was spelled out. I edited the link by erasing it and then rewriting it. It worked! So, "www.toptiergas.com"! Best, s

·
Registered
996 Posts
We don't have anything similar in the UK. Each branded retailer (bp, Esso, Shell, Asda, Tesco, etc.) does their own thing with additives, with the majors (oil company brands) claiming they are somehow superior. I became rather sceptical years ago (in the 1980s?) when Formula Shell was found to cause problems (ironically, sticking inlet valves) in certain engines (Vauxhall, Volvo, VW) as a result of overdosing of additive. Putting the additives in at the last minute when loading the road tanker (into the "Formula Shell" compartment as opposed to the "supermarket" compartment) always seemed a bit hit or miss to me, not worth the bother. I've yet to be convinced otherwise. The Spider gets Tesco's finest 99 RON Momentum for my EC phase 1/2 tune. Oh wait...
Tesco petrol station web site FAQ said:
Momentum 99 contains a special blend of additives to help keep the fuel system clean and working at its best

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi @azzura, and any other interested folk, please see my thread "A Short Treatise on Top Tier Gasoline - Highly Recommended". I'm thinking, given the participation of BMW, MB,. VW, Honda and Toyota, there must be a Top Tier formula fuel available in places other than North America. Maybe some info on Tesco's website?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Some years ago (early 2000s), Evo magazine did some strip-down inspection and testing of old engines to see how they performed when run on Shell V-Power (maybe Optimax back then) and showed actual results. Two older cars when checked had much cleaner valves and pistons after using it for a couple of tankfulls - I reckon it is worth the extra few pence per litre and use it on most fill-ups.

Reactions: SteveP.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts