Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had to buy more oil and noticed on the new bottles of Valvoline it doesn't list psa b71 2296 approval as the old bottles did. Can we still use this oil? I'm thinking maybe they don't list it now that the 124 Spider has been discontinued? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,024 Posts
I just use the best possible oil in my car, and it is between Amsoil, Redline, and the factory penzoil euro platinum whatever. No if and or buts. I found redline to be the most readily available off the shelf, Amsoil from @XtremeRevolution, valvoline you can order from Amazon or Walmart online.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just use the best possible oil in my car, and it is between Amsoil, Redline, and the factory penzoil euro platinum whatever. No if and or buts. I found redline to be the most readily available off the shelf, Amsoil from @XtremeRevolution, valvoline you can order from Amazon or Walmart online.
Thanks for the recommendation. After I finish these bottles I'll switch over. I just wanted to see if Valvoline was still good to use

·
Registered
292 Posts
I only use oils with the MS-12991 spec.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
705 Posts
Hi Dan, if you wish, check out Tazillon Brenner's excellent contribution titled "Which Oils Meet Specifications for 124 Spiders" here on this forum. The article is very thorough, lists all the oils he could find that meet the manufacturers requirements. Note that Valvoline is listed in the section "oils that don't meet requirements" (or something quite similar to that).
Food Yellow Ingredient Font Packaging and labeling
This is the oil I use, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40. It meets all the specs Fiat requires for our 124 Spiders, incl. MS-12991, ACEA A3/B4, and API SN. My local Advance Auto Parts stores carry it. I also would not have a problem with Amsoil, or Redline as @mtnghost suggested or other oils on @Tazilon Brenner 's list of approved oils. Best, s.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
705 Posts
PS: the fact that Valvoline does not make the list of "approved" oils may just be because Valvoline never sought to go through the approval process considering the costs involved vs. the perceived gain. It does meet MB 229.5, and ACEA A3/B4 and API SN, so maybe that's it . . . s.

·
Registered
2019 124 Abarth, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C
100 Posts
Valvoline did have approval, but newer packaging does NOT list it. I reached out to Valvoline months ago when I noticed this and have not received a response. I have used Pennzoil and Valvoline that meets the spec in both my 124 and 4C.....not sure what is going on with Valvoline now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why not use Pennzoil or Quaker State? Both are approved. Both are subsidiaries of Shell, an actual manufacturer. Valvoline doesn’t manufacture anything- they are just a blender.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Valvoline did have approval, but newer packaging does NOT list it. I reached out to Valvoline months ago when I noticed this and have not received a response. I have used Pennzoil and Valvoline that meets the spec in both my 124 and 4C.....not sure what is going on with Valvoline now.
Yeah, I caught a sale at NAPA a couple years ago and got enough of the approved Valvoline for 2 oil changes. Now that it doesn’t meet the spec, I wouldn’t touch it.
Edit: I’m sure it’s a fine oil and I’d use it in other applications, just not in the Fiat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for their input. Once I finish these last bottles, I will move to Pennzoil. I had read an article about "Pennzoil sludge" but I believe that didn't apply to their synthetic blend.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of curiosity did you notice a difference since you have tried both Valvoline and Pennzoil? Preference?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Dan, if you wish, check out Tazillon Brenner's excellent contribution titled "Which Oils Meet Specifications for 124 Spiders" here on this forum. The article is very thorough, lists all the oils he could find that meet the manufacturers requirements. Note that Valvoline is listed in the section "oils that don't meet requirements" (or something quite similar to that). View attachment 88270 This is the oil I use, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40. It meets all the specs Fiat requires for our 124 Spiders, incl. MS-12991, ACEA A3/B4, and API SN. My local Advance Auto Parts stores carry it. I also would not have a problem with Amsoil, or Redline as @mtnghost suggested or other oils on @Tazilon Brenner 's list of approved oils. Best, s.
Pennzoil Platinum is the superior oil to use by far. I was a Jiffy Lube manager for 3 years. It's not all hype by far and I actually had to take a class on this oil as well as others. The fact that it's made from natural gas and the additive package alone make it the best choice IMHO.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks everyone for their input. Once I finish these last bottles, I will move to Pennzoil. I had read an article about "Pennzoil sludge" but I believe that didn't apply to their synthetic blend.
There should be no "sludge" as long as you are changing your oil and filter at the appropriate intervals. Pennzoil is a superior oil by far. Remember guys, the base oil never goes bad, it's the additives that get used up by heat, pressure, shearing of molecules, etc.

·
Registered
2019 124 Abarth, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C
100 Posts
Out of curiosity did you notice a difference since you have tried both Valvoline and Pennzoil? Preference?
Noticed no difference, neither car uses any oil between changes. The 4C is an annual change with ~1k miles now that I have 124, the oil in the 124 gets changed every 5k miles. I'll have to take some samples for oil analysis and see what the results for both are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pennzoil would sludge 40 years ago. It’s a different world now.

·
Registered
705 Posts
50 to 40 years ago were my "formative years" in the shop. Us techs knew alot of our customers on a first name basis, sometimes the wife's/kids too! And a lot of our customers had specific preferences, sometimes based on what their dad or neighbor said, sometimes on personal experience. Some guys liked Quaker State, some wanted Oilzum, some Havoline, some Pennzoil, etc. (Same way with spark plugs - some wanted Champions in their GM car, or Autolites in their BMW). After taking apart a number of engines - head gaskets, bearings, timing chains, etc. - and knowing what oil brand the customer insisted on, I soon realized that Pennzoil was actually much better at NOT sludging than most if not all of the others. Quaker State seemed to me to be the worst! (Full disclosure: my experiences, what I saw while doing my job on the engines I worked on). Today, Quaker State is equal to Pennzoil in the 'sludge' dept., i.e., they don't if changed at reasonable intervals. ( Shell owns Pennzoil, along with Quaker State (SOPUS). Yes, things have changed in the past 40 years and these oils are much better! Best, s.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi, I had to buy more oil and noticed on the new bottles of Valvoline it doesn't list psa b71 2296 approval as the old bottles did. Can we still use this oil? I'm thinking maybe they don't list it now that the 124 Spider has been discontinued? Thanks
Valvoline used to make an oil which met Fiat specs for the 124, but they no longer do. I confirmed this several months ago by speaking to a factory rep.

Reactions: wrh3
1 - 20 of 44 Posts