Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed a high pitched vibration sound that is quite annoying when I accelerate. Has anyone else had this problem and knows a fix?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Hi again Jason....sounds like a wheel bearing from that description, maybe you could copy and paste here for some more accurate opinions, you haven't stated where abouts in the Spider that the sound is emitting from or if there are any actual vibrations. Belts also let off a whine when they are worn, loose....maybe have someone rev the engine whilst you stand, bonnet (hood) up, look and listen, just don't touch.... A bit more visual / audible evidence may ring a bell for someone here...Best of Luck and Cheers
ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've studied this a bit more. The vibration sound seems to be coming from behind the dash and, strangely, only seems to happen when I am between 2700-2900 rpm. To clarify, I am not feeling the vibration, I am hearing it and it is a very annoying buzzing. I have replaced the door bushings and removed the engine cover. I thought it might be vibrating since replacing the coils with the Alpha Romeo 4C coils. No difference.

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
23 Posts
Left, right or center?

·
Registered
23 Posts
AT or MT?
A/C on or off?
Happen when you rev in park or just while driving?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MT. A/C off. Really only does it when I'm driving. I tried just revving it up in neutral and didn't hear it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When is your normal shift point?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would to make sure the brace over the engine is tight if you have one. If you have anything on your dash remove it and see if that works. Sounds like you might have some vibration in that rpm just not enough to feel and could be suspension related. Check tire pressure and check to see if you may have thrown a wheel weight. If you have a gopro you could place it under in the engine bay close to the cab and take it for a short spin to seen if it is coming from the outside or inside under the dash itself. You could jack the car up and check for wobble in the wheels but from what you are saying I don't think it's a bearing. Without seeing it thats about all I can think of. If something else pops into my head I'll be sure to bring it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be the brace. I removed it to replace the rear coil. I have a new one coming from Cusco. I'll make sure it's tight. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not a problem! Hope thats the issue. Keep me posted

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My Abarth makes a buzzing noise under hard acceleration. I have traced it down to the cup holder when it is anchored on the side of the passenger footwell.

The buzzing noise goes away when I remove the cup holder.

When I first put the cup holder back on, there’s no buzzing. But it invariably returns after a few days with the cup holder in place.

It used to annoy me until I discovered what was causing it. It doesn’t bother me any more now that I know it is a removable part.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts