Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK... it's not perfect, but it's a good bit better than what's currently out there.

A quick background - I owned a 500C Abarth "GQ" before the 124 and loved the exhaust note... it was a bit more subdued than the raspy standard 500 Abarth, but still had a bit of low-end rumble and "presence". That's pretty much what I was looking for on the 124, and I gather many owners here feel the same way. I don't want to wake up the neighbors, I certainly don't want to advertise to the local constabulary that I'm coming in hot... I just want it to sound and feel like a roadster should.

In my opinion, the Good-Win Roadstersport dual exhaust with the removable baffles is a bullseye. A few people have created their own for cheaper, but I have to say the fit and finish on the Good-Win product is excellent, and the ability to go no-baffle, slight-baffle, or optional full-baffle (not included here) is very appealing. Otherwise this setup is all OEM.

I went through a few phases... startup, idle, revs, driving away, decel, driving past... the in-cabin sound was tough to get a consistent recording of - essentially it's just a bit louder than stock in there. I've always been more concerned about how it sounds around me, so I kept it external. I was able to snag a 500 Abarth automatic for comparison - wasn't able to do it in the same location so it's not a perfect A/B/C comparison - but close enough

So, without further ado - my comparison video...

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Sounds great without the baffles.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Well, dammit! This just doesn't help my declaration of yesterday (to skip the muffler delete) one darn bit!

Man... Well, we'll see. It may be back on the list, but down near the bottom of the list.

Thanks for putting this together. And what a great setting for conducting your tests.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Nice to see such comparisons, In my younger days, my fiat 128 had a sound like that, but I don't think in the long run could withstand such noise. Anyway the Classica or Lusso is very silent, you should of replaced or added the ABARTH, at least you would have all the choices.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice to see such comparisons, In my younger days, my fiat 128 had a sound like that, but I don't think in the long run could withstand such noise. Anyway the Classica or Lusso is very silent, you should of replaced or added the ABARTH, at least you would have all the choices.
I think the Good-Win with baffles sounds pretty close to the Abarth, but haven't been able to back-to-back them. If anyone in the Seattle area has a 124 Abarth to contribute, let me know. Easy to re-edit.

·
Registered
544 Posts
OK... it's not perfect, but it's a good bit better than what's currently out there.

In my opinion, the Good-Win Roadstersport dual exhaust with the removable baffles is a bullseye.
I wish GWR would offer this baffles setup on the Abarth four tips kit. I don't plan to replace my stock Abarth setup because I think the sound level is fine with both quick fun drive and a few hours road trips. But the baffle option let you have the best of both worlds...!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
+1. At least from the video, that would be my choice. It sounds like what the Spider should sound like, to begin with. A nice, throaty, Italiano sound. :)
I've got my full GWR kit, can't wait to put it on now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wish GWR would offer this baffles setup on the Abarth four tips kit. I don't plan to replace my stock Abarth setup because I think the sound level is fine with both quick fun drive and a few hours road trips. But the baffle option let you have the best of both worlds...!
First off, Kudos to the OP for the great video!

The abarth quad tip from GWR does not come with the holes drilled for the baffles, but the packed baffles do fit the diameter of the GWR Abarth quad tip. So with a bit of careful drilling you can install the packed baffles in the Abarth muffler delete kit. Even with the baffles installed it is still louder than the stock abarth, but takes a bit of the deepest bass notes out of the sound. I love it without the baffles but we have a 24 day 5000+km roadtrip planned and I wanted to make sure both my wife and myself would be happy. They can be removed quite easily if desired.
Downside? - aesthetically it looses alot of visual appeal since the baffles dont sit too far in, but hopefully once things blacken up a bit, they won't be quite so noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Simple delete for me. If anyone wants a real world test, simply unbolt the pipe to muffler connection and let it hang loose. That's what a delete with no baffles will sound like. With baffles will be between the two. It is just two bolts!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Simple delete for me. If anyone wants a real world test, simply unbolt the pipe to muffler connection and let it hang loose. That's what a delete with no baffles will sound like. With baffles will be between the two. It is just two bolts!
Dan is right. I just tried this yesterday when I had the muffler delete off for the drilling of the baffles. My son asked me to start it up with the muffler delete removed from the car. What the heck. Very similar to the sound with the unbaffled muffler delete kit installed. Did not drive it, but standing still in the driveway it was very similar sounding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts