Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Good-Win, earlier today I'd posted in another thread in the general "intake/exhaust" subforum, http://www.124spider.org/forum/145-intake-exhaust/11921-exhausts.html#post159674 and here is the meat of my post:

From Good-Win's RoadsterSport Fiat 124 Dual Exhaust product description:
"Unlike our QUAD, this dual tip is adjustable for sound using cone baffles that are included that can be removed for more sound, and takes our optional fiberglass packed Baffles that slide in and lower sound level more (packed baffles sold separate on this website)."

I like the idea of lowering the sound level using their fiberglass baffles. I don't want the tinny, farty, coffee can noise of a 19 year old kid driving a 19 year old Honda Civic sporting Folgers containers. I don't want an increase in sound level that is modestly more than stock, if that. But I would like a lower tone rumble, just a drops in hertz, not an increase in decibels. I would like some mature character coming from the exhaust that adds to the car's throw-back personality of yesteryear without making enemies of my neighbors. Better sound character- yes. Increase in sound level- needs to be close to stock.

Subject car, my 124 Spider Classica (due for delivery in June).
If I installed your RoadsterSport Dual Exhaust muffler delete (remaining system left stock) http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2015.html, and also installed your Glass Packed Baffle Inserts http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/60-1324Fiat.html, would I realize what it is I'm looking for- a nice, throaty, lower tone rumble that does not add many, if any at all, decibels?

I want my car to sound good, to sound like a classic Italian roadster of yesteryear. I don't want it to sound loud. I want my car to be like the string bass in a small jazz band, not an electric bass guitar in a heavy metal band. I don't like unnecessary noise, and I don't want to offend my neighbors.

(Seeing actual OEM and aftermarket decibel readings would be very helpful. If this exists for my setup above, I'd love to see those decibel levels.)

Thanks for your assistance!
Steve.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Installing the Good-Win dual muffler delete with stock baffles (not the extra ones) on Wednesday and will get some good before/after recordings with good microphones. Will report back.

I had a 500 Abarth "GQ" which was the perfect exhaust tone for this engine, IMO... not quite as snorty as the regular Abarth, but gave a deep growl when you pushed it, and had a good off-throttle "burble" that *just* let you know it was there, but was never obnoxious. Otherwise, it just sounded great, never droned on the highway or woke up the neighbors (and I worked at night). That's how I've heard this setup described... so, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for doing this. I'm looking forward to hearing the before and after.

Thinking back to my test drives, when I was lucky enough to drive both the Abarth and the Classica. I remember the Abarth, at idle and low rpm, actually had some exhaust vibes transmit right up into the cab which I felt in my seat and in the armrest. Pretty minor and not bothersome but it was not present in the very smooth Classica. I really enjoyed the Classica's smoother ride suspension and yes, the relatively quieter exhaust (I'm not a fan of noise at all), but having the aural factor added to this car just seems proper. It's an Italian roadster, it needs to be there. And I can't believe that I feel this way given my hatred of loud motorcycles and junk cars that roll past my house. I am actually looking forward to spicing it up a little bit.

Steve.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Has anyone purchased the Ragazzon resonated exhaust for the Abarth. Sure here a lot about Goodwin but nothing on this brand. Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like this??

Hi Good-Win, earlier today I'd posted in another thread in the general "intake/exhaust" subforum, http://www.124spider.org/forum/145-intake-exhaust/11921-exhausts.html#post159674 and here is the meat of my post:

"Unlike our QUAD, this dual tip is adjustable for sound using cone baffles that are included that can be removed for more sound, and takes our optional fiberglass packed Baffles that slide in and lower sound level more (packed baffles sold separate on this website)."

I like the idea of lowering the sound level using their fiberglass baffles. I don't want the tinny, farty, coffee can noise of a 19 year old kid driving a 19 year old Honda Civic sporting Folgers containers. I don't want an increase in sound level that is modestly more than stock, if that. But I would like a lower tone rumble, just a drops in hertz, not an increase in decibels. I would like some mature character coming from the exhaust that adds to the car's throw-back personality of yesteryear without making enemies of my neighbors. Better sound character- yes. Increase in sound level- needs to be close to stock.

If I installed your RoadsterSport Dual Exhaust muffler delete (remaining system left stock) http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2015.html, and also installed your Glass Packed Baffle Inserts http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/60-1324Fiat.html, would I realize what it is I'm looking for- a nice, throaty, lower tone rumble that does not add many, if any at all, decibels?

I want my car to sound good, to sound like a classic Italian roadster of yesteryear. I don't want it to sound loud. I want my car to be like the string bass in a small jazz band, not an electric bass guitar in a heavy metal band. I don't like unnecessary noise, and I don't want to offend my neighbors.

(Seeing actual OEM and aftermarket decibel readings would be very helpful. If this exists for my setup above, I'd love to see those decibel levels.)

Steve.
Maybe someday...

Grandpa Bill:):eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
What I would like to hear is...

Steve.
Good-Win muffler delete, on regular 124, NOT Abarth, with the fiberglass baffles out, and a video with the fiberglass baffels inserted. :

Grandpa Bill

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good-Win muffler delete, on regular 124, NOT Abarth, with the fiberglass baffles out, and a video with the fiberglass baffels inserted. :

Grandpa Bill
Yes, Classica/Lusso video with good sound, in 3-parts-- OEM, then GW delete (rest of exhaust remains OEM) with fiberglass baffles, then with standard baffles. A 4th part, without any baffles. And a sound meter alongside each version.

Steve.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes...Yes...

Yes, Classica/Lusso video with good sound, in 3-parts-- OEM, then GW delete (rest of exhaust remains OEM) with fiberglass baffles, then with standard baffles. A 4th part, without any baffles. And a sound meter alongside each version.

Steve.
Come on Mr. Goodwin...you can do this... probably sell a heck of a lot more
Exhaust systems with just the muffler delete with the fiberglass baffles inserts...which in my opinion is a really great and versatile system.

Baffles in = Wife in Car.
Baffles out = Girfriend in Car !!! LOL :laugh::laugh::eek:>:)

Grandpa Bill :D>:)
Austin, Tx

·
124 Spider Vendor
928 Posts
Steve,

Given that the Classica/Lusso comes with near zero exhaust sound, any muffler delete is adding sound. Whether or not the baffles are installed does not change that result much, the baffles add some control but still at a higher DB level than stock.

As for 'sound like a classic Italian roadster of yesteryear' my daily experience with customers who have romantic memories of what the cars of yesterday sounded like is that they really do not remember what those cars sounded like.... their romantic recollections of youth so color their memories as to make those memories unreliable. I will tell you one of my favorite stories in this regard. Had a customer with Miata tell me he wanted the sound of his Triumph TR4 that he owned in college. The more I talked with him, the more it became clear that he had infused his memories of what that car actually sounded like with romantic memories of his youth, college, meeting his wife and their first date in that car, etc. In brief, his description of the sound level of his beloved TR4 of decades before was actually not within miles of the sound made by a stock TR4 of the period. To help him reset his understanding I brought a 100% stock TR4 to the shop and took him for a ride and he suddenly remembered that what he was actually hearing in that car was the twin SU carbs more than anything else and his recollection of the stock exhaust was far from accurate. Overall the TR4 was far louder than he remembered, a result of driving modern sedans for decades that are coffin quiet compared to roadsters of yesterday.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll admit, there is a whole lot of wisdom in that tale. I bet Mr. TR4 was taken back just a little bit by his skewed memories.

I guess I'll just have to jump in the deep end and order the kit when my car arrives.

It seems a number of folk would like a video of the Classica/Lusso muffler delete to hear a comparison of the different baffles to each other. Thanks for considering such a video!

Steve.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Please identify yourself and tell us more...

Steve.
Somebody on this Forum posted this Video. Obviously it is a muffler delet. Can you tell us if you had it made or bought from a vendor.

Thanks. Grandpa Bill.
Here is the link:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts