Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back from Charleston yesterday when the low tire light came on. I drove another 20 miles or so to see if I really had an issue. I decide to check the air so I pulled into a station and checked my tires. They were ALL at 50LBS
Not a typo........50lbs.....So I reduced the air to 29PSI where it should be and the ride got smoother and no issues with the warning light coming back on. My thought was the tires were getting ti hot and expanding,

The SAME thing happened with my 16 Tacoma. Came from the factory with 20Lbs OVER spec.

I think they do this to keep the tires from getting flat spots while in transport. Who knows but I would recommend anyone who buys one check the PSI in the tires. The dealership should have brought it to spec during their detailing.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Not the first time I've heard this. Poor pre-delivery though.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Not the first time I've heard this. Poor pre-delivery though.
This has been such a common problem that there might out to be a message to all new members when they sign up on the forum to alert them to check their tire pressure and set it at 29 pounds. Some of us have posted this warning on numerous occasions for new owners, but we can't remember to alert everyone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, mine was at correct pressure.. especially considering that they dealership put that nice high-dollar nitrogen in the tires and wanted to add a premium price for it. They took it off the sticker after I told them I was more than happy for them to take their nitrogen back and replace it with good old ambient air from a compressor. ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have read this countless times here, and elsewhere, but I guess it does hurt to report it again. Any time I find something out of the norm I always search first whether it be here or via Google, and doing so would reveal that it is a common problem. I always bring a tire gauge along when I buy any vehicle and I don't think that I ever found the tires in spec.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey SubVette:

Loving the Crimson King. You go, lad. Long time fan of King Crimson. Does anybody else remember......I have my doubts....LOL...

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
John hit the nail right on the head. When my car arrived for the test/acceptance drive, the first thing I did was vent the excess 20 lbs of pressure from the tires.
regards,
Pete

·
Banned
112 Posts
Well, mine was at correct pressure.. especially considering that they dealership put that nice high-dollar nitrogen in the tires and wanted to add a premium price for it. They took it off the sticker after I told them I was more than happy for them to take their nitrogen back and replace it with good old ambient air from a compressor. ;)
So they deflated the tires and refilled with nitrogen? Seriously?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Since there is no detectable difference without actually sampling and testing the gas in the tires, it was probably just air to begin with.
Actually it's becoming fairly common. The last 2 new vehicles we purchased also came "stock" with nitrogen in the tires. They had a different cap on them to denote they were nitrogen filled.
And I do know the dealership purchased equipment to do nitrogen fills (more for their Chargers & Challengers than anything).
And getting caught doing that (not filling but charging) would end up with them in a whole world of expenses. We have several folks around that would (and have) tested for stuff just like this. They are some of our local "rabble rousers".
I do run nitrogen in my motorcycle tires.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Anyone who pays $300 to have 100% nitrogen as opposed to 78% nitrogen for free, has rocks in their head. It's the biggest and dumbest scam I've ever come across.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Doesn't Costco use nitrogen by default, for no extra fee?

So many rip off artists out there... sad.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Green valve stem caps denote Nitro-filled tires. I know that they are inflated to 50 initially bit if everyone checked their tires before leaving the dealer there would be no need for this thread (since it has been discussed in another thread already).

·
Registered
72 Posts
The charge issued by dealers for adding Nitrogen to tires is deplorable. I got caught in this scam when I purchased my 124 a few weeks back. The purchase experience was less than optimal for me, but given the discounts ($8000.00) I received off of the MSRP there was very little I could do without "throwing the baby out with the bath water" so to speak.
They also wanted to charge me $86.00 for a tank of gas & $130.00 for locking wheel locking lug nuts, that were on back order.
I did ask about the Nav System since I ordered the technology package and they wanted $600.00 to add this to the package.
Thanks to this forum I was able to pick up a Nav card on Ebay for $105.00 U.S. and now have a fully operational Nav system in my Classica. I exchanged the wheel lug nuts for a trunk cargo tray and a Spider 124 grille emblem.

I do blame myself for missing these charges on the Original Bill of Sale, but in the end I have what I want sitting in the garage.
Oh yeah, they threw me a bone by giving me a free tank of gas.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts