Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Abarth was built 3/14/17. VIN was assigned a couple of days later. Dealer calls today to say that it'll be another 2 months!?! -maybe. This one not being the first new car for me (3rd Fiat, second Abarth at that) it is getting a little frustrating to see the calendar go by (as well as the warm days) and not have it in my garage. Anybody else waiting for this batch? Any different news from your dealer or FCA?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Been there. Ordered my Challenger, and it was delayed many, many times.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I know nothing about the logistics, but I have to imagine that getting a car, and a small batch car at that, from a factory in Japan to the dealer's door takes plenty of time. After it leaves the factory, it probably sits in a shipping yard waiting to go to the docks. Then it waits there for its ship to arrive. (Sorry, this ship is full of Toyotas, or i-phones, you'll have to wait for the next ship.) And who knows where else the ship is headed before it gets to your car's destination port. Then it sits, awaiting customs inspections. Then it sits, awaiting a train. Then, after a cross country tour of who knows how many train yards, it gets to the destination distribution hub, where it sits, awaiting a truck to bring it to your dealer...

If only FedEx shipped cars, eh?

I was told, in general, for general inventory cars, it takes about(?) 2 months from the time it leaves the factory until the time the dealer gets it, in a perfect world. I don't know when in February mine was built, but mine arrived at the dealer the last week of April. Of course they prepared me for May/June, probably in an effort to keep me pacified. Then, oh happy day, it arrived early! Or on time, who knows.

Anticipation...

Steve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts