Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My 124 seems to be leaking water into the cabin through some of the mechanical bits on the manual top after and during heavy rain. I get a steady drip the day after it rains. Fairly frequent drips while raining but not steady. It almost looks like it is coming from behind that "cap". I see no signs of where it could be coming from on the "outside" part of the top. Any ideas?

I will add this to my list of issues with the top, including:

• Grab handle detaches 90% of the time when operating the top
  • Two spots where the top seals against the windshield have begun to separate

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I just took a look at my car and that's an odd place for water to be dripping from. I first thought it might be entering from the very far side of the windshield trim and working its way down but that looks decently sealed.

One place to inspect would be here. It could be getting underneath the top above the trim and working its way into this latch point. Inspect there and see if you see any evidence of it.

The next possibility could be through this gap somehow. Have you had your top down and it got sprayed with water on that side while in the stored position?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just took a look at my car and that's an odd place for water to be dripping from. I first thought it might be entering from the very far side of the windshield trim and working its way down but that looks decently sealed.

One place to inspect would be here. It could be getting underneath the top above the trim and working its way into this latch point. Inspect there and see if you see any evidence of it.

View attachment 73513

The next possibility could be through this gap somehow. Have you had your top down and it got sprayed with water on that side while in the stored position?

View attachment 73514
Okay, so I checked these out and unfortunately there's no sign of water at either of these points. The first picture looks exactly like yours and the second one I didn't feel or see anywhere that water could be slipping in. I've had the top completely down in rain before when it snuck up on me, but we're talking > 9 months ago. Otherwise, no.

:(

·
Banned
3,050 Posts
Dealer time!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,

My 124 seems to be leaking water into the cabin through some of the mechanical bits on the manual top after and during heavy rain. I get a steady drip the day after it rains. Fairly frequent drips while raining but not steady. It almost looks like it is coming from behind that "cap". I see no signs of where it could be coming from on the "outside" part of the top. Any ideas?

I will add this to my list of issues with the top, including:

• Grab handle detaches 90% of the time when operating the top
  • Two spots where the top seals against the windshield have begun to separate
View attachment 73493
Hi Clutch_22,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this, I certainly understand why it would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided by fellow forum members, I recommend connecting with your local Fiat dealer as they are in the best position to determine the cause of this concern.

If you end up working with your dealer, please let us know. We would be more than happy to provide you with additional support for that process.

Mark
FiatCares

·
Registered
151 Posts
My original convertible top leaked like this. As others have said - time for the dealer. The good news is, after mine was replaced there’s no more leaks - I’m sure you’ll have similar results.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Clutch_22,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this, I certainly understand why it would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided by fellow forum members, I recommend connecting with your local Fiat dealer as they are in the best position to determine the cause of this concern.

If you end up working with your dealer, please let us know. We would be more than happy to provide you with additional support for that process.

Mark
FiatCares
My original convertible top leaked like this. As others have said - time for the dealer. The good news is, after mine was replaced there’s no more leaks - I’m sure you’ll have similar results.
Thanks, guys. I will find a Fiat dealer and schedule an appointment.

Maybe they can look at my messed up rear-view mirror, too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks, guys. I will find a Fiat dealer and schedule an appointment.

Maybe they can look at my messed up rear-view mirror, too.
Hi Clutch_22,

If you're not familiar with any Fiat dealers near you, please know that you can head to https://www.fiatusa.com/find-dealer.html and enter your ZIP code to locate the closest dealers in your area. If you see any dealerships that have received a Customer First award this means that this dealer has achieved the highest level of customer experience recognition in five core areas: people, facility, processes, customer metrics and training certification. Our team is just a private message away if you would like any additional support for that process.

Mark
FiatCares

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Clutch_22,

If you're not familiar with any Fiat dealers near you, please know that you can head to https://www.fiatusa.com/find-dealer.html and enter your ZIP code to locate the closest dealers in your area. If you see any dealerships that have received a Customer First award this means that this dealer has achieved the highest level of customer experience recognition in five core areas: people, facility, processes, customer metrics and training certification. Our team is just a private message away if you would like any additional support for that process.

Mark
FiatCares
Thanks, Mark. I sent a PM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So my 2017 has a similar but even bigger problem. We got a big rain and I've got 1/2" water on the floor under both seats. I drove around a lot during this rain and saw no leak. After drying, it happened again when it was parked with windows closed. Puddled water. Any idea where that came from. We had rain before and it didn't have this happen. The only thing I can think of is that the cloth top around the top of the rear window started coming unfolded. The plastic clips failed so I had to refold and clip that back together. Even if I screwed it up, I don't think that would cause a leak. No part of the top was falling apart or ripped, just unfolded and the canvas was hanging down partly obstructing my view out the back window. Ideas?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
So my 2017 has a similar but even bigger problem. We got a big rain and I've got 1/2" water on the floor under both seats. I drove around a lot during this rain and saw no leak. After drying, it happened again when it was parked with windows closed. Puddled water. Any idea where that came from. We had rain before and it didn't have this happen. The only thing I can think of is that the cloth top around the top of the rear window started coming unfolded. The plastic clips failed so I had to refold and clip that back together. Even if I screwed it up, I don't think that would cause a leak. No part of the top was falling apart or ripped, just unfolded and the canvas was hanging down partly obstructing my view out the back window. Ideas?
Take a look at this:

You may have blocked drain filters - especially if the car has been parked outdoors with any regularity.

·
Registered
924 Posts
oh no, it’s not the case. I had the same problem as well, well not anymore I got rid off the top.

It’s not related to the roof drain, my drain was always clean.

There is an internal connection on the inside of the top, when you fold it and unfold it. Sometimes it leaks.

Just try to refold it back, it worked for me. I never bothered to get it checked out, probably needs a new roof (warranty). I got a hardtop now

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi Clutch_22,

If you're not familiar with any Fiat dealers near you, please know that you can head to Find a FIAT Dealership Near You | FIAT and enter your ZIP code to locate the closest dealers in your area. If you see any dealerships that have received a Customer First award this means that this dealer has achieved the highest level of customer experience recognition in five core areas: people, facility, processes, customer metrics and training certification. Our team is just a private message away if you would like any additional support for that process.

Mark
FiatCares
Mark, unfortuenly that’s not very helpful.

I work at dealership, they way they get good CSI score is basically customer answering surveys that is serviced there for customer pay and warranty work. If you refuse service or schedule them very far out. They won’t even been in your system. That’s how things works. CSI score doesn’t mean half of the story. It’s also a joke. Almost 50% customers go to the dealerships aren’t satisfied from what I’ve seen. They always makes a deal with the “CSI manager” to “make them answer good” on the surveys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great info! I cleaned the filters behind the seats but are there water drains under the cabin that could be clogged? The water pooled under the seat and just stays there. Shouldn't there be drains?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts