Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,411 Posts
I have a feeling they missed a leak in the head to the block. A freeze plug isn't going to come out without a lot of pressure on the inside of the water jacket.

Reactions: maschinenbau

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a feeling they missed a leak in the head to the block. A freeze plug isn't going to come out without a lot of pressure on the inside of the water jacket.
That's what I'm thinking too. It's happening after a WOT pull on the highway. Combustion pressure leaking into the water jacket could be popping the plug. If it's had the water pump already, it's possible it already overheated and warped the head. I've seen 250F+ a few times just from these failures, yet they never pulled the head off to check flatness, since FCA can't do more than the bare minimum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was told by a FIAT mechanic that the engines are built to such narrow tolerances, they cannot retrofit water pumps to the same specs as a robot-controlled assembly process. Of course the robot screwed up. But they didn’t design it for repairs. That’s why in many cases, they are replacing the engine block as if it were a radio. Problem for FIAT Legal, though, is that they are flirting with a class action. It’s way past reputational risk at this point, given the pull-back. Too bad, because the 124 is otherwise a nice car.
The problem with a class-action is that one must first answer WHO gets sued. Stellantis does not care because their position would be that THEY did not design or sell you your car. Their response would be that the entity that designed, built and sold the vehicle no longer exists, and concurrent with the sale to Stellantis was an abdication of any responsibility to the owners. This is part and parcel of the corporate merger shell game...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not so versed in this stuff (water pumps maybe) but Stellantis is the name given the entity formed when FCA merged with the French PSA. It was a stock deal so all of FCA's liabilities survived the merger and became Stellantis' liabilities. That includes warranties pre-dating the closing (which are also insured) and manufacturing defects caused by FCA. I would guess that Stellantis cares but (as observed by others here) is letting the problem get fixed through the warranties, which if the problem started in MY 2018, remains a viable solution. Problem is that FIAT service at Chrysler-Dodge etc. dealerships is lacking, and that's allegedly due to a shortage of FIAT qualified technicians. It the problem persists after warranties expire, consumers will have a more actionable claim. It's all a very good example of warranties being only as good as service under those warranties.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello @maschinenbau,

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle and would like to look into this matter. We understand how frustrating it can be to experience ongoing vehicle performance concerns. To start, please send us a private message with your vehicle's model year and mileage to get started. We hope to hear from you soon!

Also, appreciate the mention @Zumata - Zumata!

Hannah
Fiat Cares

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello @maschinenbau,

We're sorry to hear about your vehicle and would like to look into this matter. We understand how frustrating it can be to experience ongoing vehicle performance concerns. To start, please send us a private message with your vehicle's model year and mileage to get started. We hope to hear from you soon!
Hannah
Fiat Cares
PM sent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm due at the dealer tomorrow to get my water pump replaced on my 2018. Same symptom that you guys reported. Losing coolant at a rapid pace. This would be the third time in less than two years that my car makes it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm due at the dealer tomorrow to get my water pump replaced on my 2018. Same symptom that you guys reported. Losing coolant at a rapid pace. This would be the third time in less than two years that my car makes it back to the dealer.
Is this the first time they've replaced the water pump? Tell them to make sure to check the thermostat and gasket. I had to have those other 2 items replaced. The water pump and thermostat at the same time. The gasket was the last item replaced back in May.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Welcome to the club. It took four visits, but now so far so good. The last visit included replacing the overflow tank and cap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bummer! What else did you have to go in for? It seems we've all had the water pump before 10k miles, but that seems to fix it in most cases (obviously mine was a big exception).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bummer! What else did you have to go in for? It seems we've all had the water pump before 10k miles, but that seems to fix it in most cases (obviously mine was a big exception).
Convertible top scraping - They wont do anything about it
Convertible top squeaking - They are doing everything in their power to not replace the top
Driver side window makes a scraping sound when I lower the window - New issue
Rubber molding behind convertible top leaking glue and becoming undone - They clean up the glue and claim there's no problem
Passenger side seatbelt rattling when I don't have a passenger - they actually replaced the whole seatbelt assembly

Hoping that the visits to the dealer would end. I've heard that the dealership avoids doing warrantee repairs, but didnt think it would be at this level. It's making me build resentment towards the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Convertible top scraping - They wont do anything about it
Convertible top squeaking - They are doing everything in their power to not replace the top
Driver side window makes a scraping sound when I lower the window - New issue
Rubber molding behind convertible top leaking glue and becoming undone - They clean up the glue and claim there's no problem
Passenger side seatbelt rattling when I don't have a passenger - they actually replaced the whole seatbelt assembly

Hoping that the visits to the dealer would end. I've heard that the dealership avoids doing warrantee repairs, but didnt think it would be at this level. It's making me build resentment towards the car.
Its a hate/love relationship with the 124. Get used to it and get an extended warranty 😊

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2020 125 classica. 8,000 miles. Did the first oil change today. I am great at fixing vehicles (even have my own lift) but usually let the first couple oil changes go to the dealership where I bought them, figuring they are more expert than me. Dealer was booked out a month and I did not want to drive any further on the old oil as it was pretty black, so I did it myself. Glad I did. Got the pan off and noticed nice snot green on the front of the cast oil pan. Looks like it came out from around where the crankshaft comes out. I had noticed a slight antifreeze smell a while back but checked the level in the bottle and it was fine, and since it was a new car I figured must be my imagination so I ignored it. Had not noticed it since. Nope. Not my imagination. Fortunately the coolant was still in range so it can't be leaking much. It was all dried on the front of the oil pan casting and on the cover plate. Nothing wet. And I have noted nothing on the garage floor. Took some good pictures. Will be off to the dealership Monday. I did run it up on the lift till it heated up and then watched it closely. I cannot see any more leaking out. So hopefully it was just a little leaked upon assembly. I know no way I am that lucky. Water pump will be getting replaced. Hope they have a rental car system at my dealership. Or loaners. This is my only car at this point.

A little disappointed. I traded in a 19 year old VW beetle convertible because it was getting unreliable. Figured a new car would be more reliable. Not impressed at this point.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grey

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2020 125 classica. 8,000 miles. Did the first oil change today. I am great at fixing vehicles (even have my own lift) but usually let the first couple oil changes go to the dealership where I bought them, figuring they are more expert than me. Dealer was booked out a month and I did not want to drive any further on the old oil as it was pretty black, so I did it myself. Glad I did. Got the pan off and noticed nice snot green on the front of the cast oil pan. Looks like it came out from around where the crankshaft comes out. I had noticed a slight antifreeze smell a while back but checked the level in the bottle and it was fine, and since it was a new car I figured must be my imagination so I ignored it. Had not noticed it since. Nope. Not my imagination. Fortunately the coolant was still in range so it can't be leaking much. It was all dried on the front of the oil pan casting and on the cover plate. Nothing wet. And I have noted nothing on the garage floor. Took some good pictures. Will be off to the dealership Monday. I did run it up on the lift till it heated up and then watched it closely. I cannot see any more leaking out. So hopefully it was just a little leaked upon assembly. I know no way I am that lucky. Water pump will be getting replaced. Hope they have a rental car system at my dealership. Or loaners. This is my only car at this point.

A little disappointed. I traded in a 19 year old VW beetle convertible because it was getting unreliable. Figured a new car would be more reliable. Not impressed at this point.

View attachment 87986 View attachment 87987
Sorry to hear friend. Hopefully they'll be able to fix the issue and it won't be continuous. Issues with coolant leak for the 124 have been linked to the water pump, thermostat and gasket. I was one who got all three issues. I will state since these three items were replaced, coolant level has not changed and no new green snot. I did decide to get an extended warranty for peace of mind because other than that, I enjoy the drive and plan to keep for another 4-5 years. Good luck and don't be afraid to speak to upper management to get a loaner vehicle. Your car could be in their shop for 3-5 days depending on the parts delivery. Yours doesn't look as bad so maybe you can drive yours until they have all the parts ready. Even then, they might have to keep it a night or two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a little update. Dropping the car off today at the dealership. They did a pressure test on the cooling system and have decided water pump is leaking. They ordered the needed parts and set up a rental. Supposedly a 1 day project and I will get it back tomorrow. Fortunately it has not been leaking bad so I’ve been able to drive it. Took about 2 weeks to get the parts, which I don’t think is too bad considering the times we are in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just a little update. Dropping the car off today at the dealership. They did a pressure test on the cooling system and have decided water pump is leaking. They ordered the needed parts and set up a rental. Supposedly a 1 day project and I will get it back tomorrow. Fortunately it has not been leaking bad so I’ve been able to drive it. Took about 2 weeks to get the parts, which I don’t think is too bad considering the times we are in.
I hope the repair goes well. Hopefully it's just the water pump. Sometimes it can also be the thermostat that needs to be repaired.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dropped it off yesterday. Picked it up today. They did get me a rental car so that’s cool. But sadly I’m not done. I appear to be still losing coolant. And now a new problem. Ever since new the turbo coolant cool down pump would him perfectly after I shut off the car. Now it’s pulsating and sounds like it’s air bound. I have no clue where this pump is to see if there is a bleeder port. I can hear it but cannot see it. I’ll obviously be taking the car back to the dealership Monday. But I’m worried about the turbo staying heated and doing damage as the pump in pretty sure is not moving fluid. Sounds like there is air in there. I’m wondering if the turbo is even full of coolant, which would do major damage if there is air inside. Or air in the chamber. I see a bleeder screw on too back end too. But I’m afraid to touch it.
New car! Less than 10,000 miles. Major repair. And it was not even done right.
Frustrating. And with work it’s impossible to even get to the dealer. “Drop it off in the morning” they say. They are 90 minutes from my house. “We will give you a ride to work.” Ummm I have to be at work at 7a. They don’t open till 8. That’s not going to work. And then how do I get home and get back to the dealership when it’s fixed? So I’ll be pushing for a rental once again.
Now I’m just worried though. How could they miss this. I heard the pump pulsating and cavitating the moment I turned the car off. I asked Ben specifically if they test drove it and then listen afterwards to make sure it was cooling down correctly. “Yup. We ran it. Checked it out. Your all set. Don’t forget to leave us a favorable review in google..”

Just upsetting. How do I know they got the rest of the engine filled. Clearly they rushed.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
Ok so try putting the nose end of the car up like a driveway and when the car cools down open the coolant pressure cap. Then start the car and let it run idle until it fully warms up. Keep an eye on coolant level and top up if needed. There is air in the system it seems but there is also coolant flowing so don’t worry about that. On one last thing put the hvac on full hot. No need to turn the blower on but make sure it’s all the way in the red for the temp knob. It should bubble up and release the trapped air and when it stops you should be good to go! Good luck it’s super simple you won’t hurt anything but could save you a trip to the dealer.

201 - 220 of 226 Posts