Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah please don’t drive on it like that, that would definitely do some serious harm. Hopefully it’s just a matter of torque spec on a few bolts rather than blowing a freeze plug. If they fix it correctly next time, you shouldn’t have to worry again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I chose not to address the politics comment. I love a good political debate. I always represent the moderate conservative side well. But this isn’t the place. So yes no politics. Let’s talk cars.

I just looked at again. It’s really leaking now. It was so slow before it would dry on before it would drip. Now coolant on the sides of engine well and belly pan and under the hood. So it’s weeping out and being thrown off the crankshaft. How could they make it worse with installing a new pump? Wow this is a nightmare. And naturally I drive a lot for work and this is my busiest week of the month. I just emailed this person and let them know I’d be swinging by before close tomorrow to drop off the car and pick up a rental. Hopefully he will write back in the morning and confirm. Can’t drive it like this and now it’s in them because they appear to have broken it worse in their repair. I explained the problem and attached Picts. I’m assuming they are going to be pulling it all apart again and replacing more stuff. But I’m really worried. I love this little car. First new car I’ve owned in all my 53 years. But is this problem going to keep coming back forever? I just don’t have time for this. Bought a new car because work is so busy now I just needed better reliability. Yeah this is worse than any of my old vehicles. View attachment 88574
Hi Home built camper Dave,
This sounds very frustrating. We'd be happy to offer additional assistance alongside your dealer. Feel free to send us a PM if you'd like it.

Sarah
Fiat Cares

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,265 Posts
Yeah I chose not to address the politics comment. I love a good political debate. I always represent the moderate conservative side well. But this isn’t the place. So yes no politics. Let’s talk cars.

I just looked at again. It’s really leaking now. It was so slow before it would dry on before it would drip. Now coolant on the sides of engine well and belly pan and under the hood. So it’s weeping out and being thrown off the crankshaft. How could they make it worse with installing a new pump? Wow this is a nightmare. And naturally I drive a lot for work and this is my busiest week of the month. I just emailed this person and let them know I’d be swinging by before close tomorrow to drop off the car and pick up a rental. Hopefully he will write back in the morning and confirm. Can’t drive it like this and now it’s in them because they appear to have broken it worse in their repair. I explained the problem and attached Picts. I’m assuming they are going to be pulling it all apart again and replacing more stuff. But I’m really worried. I love this little car. First new car I’ve owned in all my 53 years. But is this problem going to keep coming back forever? I just don’t have time for this. Bought a new car because work is so busy now I just needed better reliability. Yeah this is worse than any of my old vehicles. View attachment 88574
Really surprised that this happened at Valenti instead of a CRDJ store. @Home built camper Dave , I think I would PM @FiatCares , as when the customer satisfaction department of the manufacturer gets involved, it really gets dealership management attention. And, I would still ask that a straight time tech work on the car instead of a flat rate tech. Good Luck! s.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Update # “next”. Car just left on a flatbed headed back to dealership. I’m so glad they fixed that tiny intermittent problem I had with a new water pump and a massive leak. Pissed through a gallon of antifreeze in about 3 days I drove it. They could not get me a rental. No rentals available. Fortunately I have a old pickup truck. So I’ll be driving that. Hope they are willing to tow it back. I now have no way to pick it up.
Keeping fingers crossed they can get antifreeze to stay in the engine and this is a one time problem. I also asked them to replace timing belt as that belt must be saturated with antifreeze now.
Dave P.

·
Registered
2019 124 Abarth , 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C, 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Veloce
110 Posts
@FiatCares , my dealership (Benson Fiat in Greer, SC) called today and this is the second shipment of the RTV they HAVE to use for warranty repairs that was received and is past the use date.....why would your parts dept ship expired product to a dealer? We are going on 8 months waiting on RTV (all other parts are available), so at this point the Fiat warranty looks like the one described in Tommy Boy :(

I wonder if dealer service centers are checking the date, I had to walk my parts guy through it. If it is out of date I wonder if this contributes to the continued issues with leaks after repair?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Update. So they found two hose clamps “missing” which. Caused my antifreeze leak supposedly. So they were replacing them. Missing. Bet they forgot to put them back on when repaired first time. So I’m assuming cooking problem is fixed. Hopefully. I asked about the expired rtv. He said what they had was not expired.
Sure hope I get my little car back before the show flies. I cannot imagine a 124 spider with stock tires does very well on the snow. And there is an 1200 foot rise from the dealership to my home.

·
Registered
155 Posts
@FiatCares , my dealership (Benson Fiat in Greer, SC) called today and this is the second shipment of the RTV they HAVE to use for warranty repairs that was received and is past the use date.....why would your parts dept ship expired product to a dealer? We are going on 8 months waiting on RTV (all other parts are available), so at this point the Fiat warranty looks like the one described in Tommy Boy :(

I wonder if dealer service centers are checking the date, I had to walk my parts guy through it. If it is out of date I wonder if this contributes to the continued issues with leaks after repair?
Hi wrh3,
We're disappointed to hear this happened. If you'd like to send us a PM, we'd be happy to look into the matter further.

Sarah
Fiat Cares

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just to close this out. After 3 weeks in the shop I have the car back. Dealership drove it all the way back to my house. Said they find the final leak and it’s all fixed now. I once again had to bleed the air out of the system but turbo coolant pump now also sounds normal. If driven it for a couple weeks and it’s running well. So hopefully this problem is solved.

Sadly today it went i to my garage to stay now for a while. Snow came today and the salt went on the roads in rural Massachusetts. So now the car sleeps for the winter. The car cover I bought fits great. I’m sure I’ll get a arm day once in a while and take it to town and back. But this car I want to be a permanent member of the family so it’s going get babied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good afternoon Spider fans:), I have a 2018 Abarth 124 and am having my second water pump replaced as I write this. The first was after about 6 month and 1500-2000 miles. The car currently has 11,300miles on it. I love the car but do not want to deal with this again, especially when the warranty runs out next year. Is anyone out there continuing to have issues with their water pump leaking and needing replaced?

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,265 Posts
Good afternoon Spider fans:), I have a 2018 Abarth 124 and am having my second water pump replaced as I write this. The first was after about 6 month and 1500-2000 miles. The car currently has 11,300miles on it. I love the car but do not want to deal with this again, especially when the warranty runs out next year. Is anyone out there continuing to have issues with their water pump leaking and needing replaced?
I have a '18 Abarth. The water pump job was done at 3000 miles. The car now has 8500 miles on it, but no further issues of any sort so far. As a lifetime auto mechanic, I was never too worried. However, I did purchase an extra 3 years of FACTORY (Mopar) extended warranty as a "just in case", for a total of 7 years / 160,000 mi. I may consider purchasing more when the time comes. This is a gamble ( who knows when/if something might fail?) but it's just nice having the peace of mind if something should fail, esp. if I'm miles and miles from home at the time. Best, s

·
Registered
37 Posts
I finally am able to drive the car a bit again. And I noticed when taking it out of storage that now the antifreeze is gradually dropping again. So once it gets warmer and I can make an appointment without having to potentially cancel it for snow storm, sadly I’ll be headed back to the deal for the same issue once again. I get a slight smell of coolant when I open the hood. Just no excuse for this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 Lusso with approx. 3500 miles. I thought I’d dodged the faulty water pump issue, but no such luck. The good news is that I’m still under factory warranty. The bad news is that the part is on back order and the ETA on shipment is at least 45 days. The car has already been at the dealer for 10 days. By the time the part is expected to be available, we’ll be well past the 30-day period that triggers my state’s Lemon Law. I pointed this out to the dealer and FIAT cares. We’ll see if that helps speed things up.

UPDATE: Good news. The new water pump and related parts ended up reaching the dealer just a few days after my initial post, and the installation was completed yesterday. To compensate for the delay, the dealer comped my oil change, detailed the car, and drove it to my house, saving me a 40-minute round trip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I found my challenge. Fortunately. Dealer mechanic. told me to check one hose underneath near the front housing. Near the radiator. He said they break that connection to change drain the antifreeze. He said sometimes the connection leaks slightly after tightening it back up. So I put it up in the air in my garage. Figured take a look. Sure enough. Just a little drip. It has one of those springy hose clamps. I actually nudged that back on the hose and added a real screw hose clamp. No more leaks. I’ve put couple thousand on and I appear to be good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That sucks about that wait. My fear is we are going to be waiting longer and longer for parts on these cars as we get further from the date they stopped making them. And there aren’t enough of them in the country for the aftermarket to pick up quickly. I love the car. It’s got 12,000 miles on it. And I love the 36mpg with the new “bidenflation”. But I don’t know. I’ll enjoy it through the summer. See how it goes. If it becomes a problem of other things going wrong, I may sell it next spring

·
Registered
2018 Abarth Spider
70 Posts
Really surprised that this happened at Valenti instead of a CRDJ store. @Home built camper Dave , I think I would PM @FiatCares , as when the customer satisfaction department of the manufacturer gets involved, it really gets dealership management attention. And, I would still ask that a straight time tech work on the car instead of a flat rate tech. Good Luck! s.
I had to bring my car to this same dealer for a broken valve…probably right after your experience. My experience was terrible! It took more than three months, and I got the car back in awful shape…missing 4 heat shields, missing several brackets…they even left the piston out of the diverter valve…car wouldn’t do more than 70mph. Fiatcares was working with me, and helped get the missing parts to me free of charge. Valenti said “bring it back, we’ll take a look.” Well, this car will never go back there, and I highly recommend any 124 owner to stay far away from that dealer.

And now, my new engine is leaking coolant! Looks like I’ll be fixing this issue on my own…glad to have this forum!

241 - 257 of 257 Posts