Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Out of curiosity? Anyone bother asking the dealer how much a water pump / timing belt replacement would cost out of warranty? I would assume a thermostate, flush and fill also by the time the warranty expires?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got my first oil change yesterday (4,881 miles). It's a 2018 Abarth, but sat at the dealership for a while. I started driving it in January. I had noticed my coolant level going down. Anyway, when my mechanic opened the oil panel he saw coolant stains an stated I should have the water pump and thermostat replaced under warranty. I have an appointment with my nearest dealership in 2 weeks, that was the earliest. Any advice? He also mentioned that there was a large amount of rust in that area. Will the dealership cover this under the corrosion warranty?

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I’ve been monitoring my 2018 Spider with an 11/17 build date since the water pump issue first surfaced on our forum. I’ve not seen any green residue and I check the coolant level frequently. No puddles on the garage floor.
Did a full-day Fall color tour yesterday. Today I checked the front of the engine on the passenger side and found a whitish/gray powder-like substance coating by what I think is the water pump area. It easily rubs off. Sound like a water pump leak or something else (like road grime I hope)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know if when the water pump needs to be replaced if they pull out the engine or can it be reached from underneath?

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Automatic
15 Posts
Well, add another 2018 to the list. At 3800 miles the water pump in my Abarth (built 12/17) was replaced under warranty, had the timing belt done at the same time. The clue was a little antifreeze collected on the belly pan and green stains around the balancer, noticed when I did an oil change. To answer Dancap, I did not do the water pump myself so cannot tell you exactly what the procedure is. According to the 2018 BA Service Information alot of stuff comes out, including belly pan, wheel housing liner, AC compressor, vacuum pump and a coolant pipe, etc. but no mention of pulling the engine. Of course the timing belt cover comes off, you need to affix a holding tool to the camshaft and take the timing belt off, then remove the pump. So, if I had to do it I would approach it just like that, mostly from underneath but would move the air cleaner housing and ECM out of the way to gain some access room.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Steve. What a coincidence. I actually finally dropped off my car at the dealership today. They gave me a loaner for a week. I'll update on here once I get it back. I'll also post a pic of the green I could capture from the bottom

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also mentioned the excessive rusting underneath. Not sure if they can do anything about that as I know the corrosion has to really be eating the metal, not just cosmetic, which I find to be silly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup! Looks like it! Ask them to replace the timing belt and tensioner pulley (if they can get one) too, as it is a big job and will buy you some time on the other end. Fiat says you can go 15 yrs. / 150,000 miles on the timing belt, but as mentioned elsewhere here the belt should be replaced if removed. And, I have been wrenching for over 48 years and would never go that far on a timing belt. Time and heat do bad things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Steve, one last question. If I do get the water pump changed, do you think think this issue will come up again? Like do you think it's due to the design of the engine as I read the engine, even though it's the same as the 500 Abarth engine, it is positioned differently. Or do you think it was just a bad set of water pumps that were installed for the 3018 models?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Steve, one last question. If I do get the water pump changed, do you think think this issue will come up again? Like do you think it's due to the design of the engine as I read the engine, even though it's the same as the 500 Abarth engine, it is positioned differently. Or do you think it was just a bad set of water pumps that were installed for the 3018 models?
In my experience so far, I've had to have mine replaced twice in 20k miles due to coolant loss and may need a third one soon. But from reading this forum, my vehicle appears to be the outlier on this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm this is a bit discouraging to hear. I'm glad I got an extended warranty for 84 months. It might not be an outlier as my car along with many others still haven't hit the mileage that you have (bring in the 20k mile range). I appreciate your feedback. Any other advice you can give me? I daily driver mine. Are you frustrated with the water pump issue or have you learned to live with it once it comes around?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I do not know just where the leak was - if it was the shaft seal due to a bad seal or bearing or if it was leaking where it is sealed against the block - as I did not do the job (it was of course warranty). And, nobody told me. But, that having been said I am no fan of using RTV type sealants over gaskets especially in areas where fluids are under pressure. My guess would be the leak was at the mating surface of pump to block but I do not know for sure. There are posts that show poor sealing conditions early in this thread. It would not surprise me if it happens again, but why only '18 model year?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe somebody will engineer a gasket or o-ring substitution for the RTV and make it available?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm this is a bit discouraging to hear. I'm glad I got an extended warranty for 84 months. It might not be an outlier as my car along with many others still haven't hit the mileage that you have (bring in the 20k mile range). I appreciate your feedback. Any other advice you can give me? I daily driver mine. Are you frustrated with the water pump issue or have you learned to live with it once it comes around?
Hmm, no advice really. Just check the overflow coolant reservoir every so often, and enjoy the time driving it when it's not sitting at a dealership. My experience has been once you turn it over to them, it's a while before you see it again (2 different dealers as well).

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I spoke to the service manager. It is the water pump. They're only going to replace the water pump and not the thermostat nor the timing belt. I called fca. I asked if it was protocol for the timing belt to be replaced once removed, but they said that it is up the the dealer. I hope reusing the same timing belt doesn't give me issue in the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Dancap, I had to pay $48 for the belt, no labor charge because they have to take it off anyway. Its worth it just for peace of mind, and buys time on the other end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I got my car back but I think they changed out the serpentine belt. The manager told me the changed out the thermostat and the water pump. However when I drove the car back it was making a weird noise after I turned it off. The turbo used to make a sound after the car was shut off but not like this. I tried to post the clip but it is too large, Steve could you send me your email and I can send it to you to see if your 124 sounds the same? I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, my 2018 Classica is in for the coolant leak at 2500 miles, they said water pump plus a hose and have to order the parts. I did the oil change this time myself because the dealer made a mess the first time and noticed the leak. Even though the coolant was still above the low mark, I found quite a bit of dried out coolant on the tray under the engine, although I had never seen a drip or even noticed the smell. The dealer that changed the oil a year ago didn't mention anything so I presume it started since then. Tried a different dealer that's close to my wife's work to make it easier to leave it, but now I'm missing out on almost a week of 70 degree days in November in Michigan☹

I did order the Ravenol Coolant Antifreeze HJC FL22 Concentrate 1.5L and topped it off to watch it for a few weeks first, it really didn't go down but I could see new drops down in the tray and did notice the smell. I decided to get it done now while it still has a couple years left on the warranty just in case it takes a few iterations. The dealer called after they inspected it to make sure I had used the right coolant to top it off, so hopefully that means they will use the right stuff too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just curious, does the 2018-2020 124 use a different water pump?
When I look up the part number online, it appears that the 2017 uses part number 68313815AA and the 2018 uses 68385387AA.
Did Fiat use a different pump on the later cars? I was thinking of getting one for a spare, just in case.......

The 2017 parts list shows 68098371AA as the gasket for the pump. They show that part number for both the 2017 and 2018.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

41 - 60 of 63 Posts