Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
161 - 180 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since we‘re keenly aware of this issue, one would reasonably think that FCA/Stellantis would have already issued a TSB or recall to correct the problem. Instead, we’re left theorizing that all 2018 and some late 2017 & early 2019 models have faulty water pumps and/or incorrect sealant. There’s also discussion that the orig water pump has been superseded with an improved version.
The remaining FIAT mechanics appear stymied, while warranty repairs increase and customer satisfaction decreases. A TSB or recall would clearly spell out the VIN#’s of the impacted vehicles with a detailed step-by-step process to quickly resolve the issue thereby eliminating the current hit-or-miss approach. Machinenbau’s and others experiences clearly highlight this point.
Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
@maschinenbau I saw a discussion you created where you mentioned you bought a modified car, possibly with a tune on it. Is it possible that the tune is causing engine overheating, which is subsequently causing the cooling system to fail? For example, if the ignition timing is retarded too much I believe that can lead to overheating.

BTW, what kind of wheels are on the car? They look like my 2018 Lusso wheels but perhaps subtly different?

·
Registered
100 Posts
@maschinenbau I saw a discussion you created where you mentioned you bought a modified car, possibly with a tune on it. It it possible that the tune is causing engine overheating, which is subsequently causing the cooling system to fail? For example, if the ignition timing is retarded too much I believe that can lead to overheating.

BTW, what kind of wheels are on the car? They look like my 2018 Lusso wheels but perhaps subtly different?
I really don't think it has a tune, just an exhaust and the GFB+. But when it failed, it didn't overheat first. I heard the grinding noise first and smelled/saw coolant steam when I came to a stop sign. I even sat for a few seconds listening to the noise. Then as I pulled away, the coolant gauge started to rise so I pulled off the road as fast as I could and killed it. I think the pump wasn't pumping anymore. I let it cool off while waiting on the tow truck, then started and idled it for a bit. The hoses going to the radiator were not as hot and stiff as they normally are, so I don't think coolant was circulating. Just a nasty grinding noise and a hot engine. Expansion tank is still full.

The wheels are the standard Classica 16x6.5 alloys. The Lusso wheels are basically the same thing but in 17 (with subtle design differences).

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Pretty darn frustrating. It's a shame; that's a very nice-looking car. The Classica wheels really "pop" against that color and the the black hoops / headrests / mirrors. Hope they can sort it out and the engine survived.

By the way, that looks like the kind of road I like to drive on around here...real back country.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts
Your car is under warranty, and the dealer told you to rent a car yourself, and try to get reimbursed yourself? When the car is going to be laid up for days? Did you buy the car from them? If so, this is unexcusable and unbelievable. s

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts
Since we‘re keenly aware of this issue, one would reasonably think that FCA/Stellantis would have already issued a TSB or recall to correct the problem. Instead, we’re left theorizing that all 2018 and some late 2017 & early 2019 models have faulty water pumps and/or incorrect sealant. There’s also discussion that the orig water pump has been superseded with an improved version.
The remaining FIAT mechanics appear stymied, while warranty repairs increase and customer satisfaction decreases. A TSB or recall would clearly spell out the VIN#’s of the impacted vehicles with a detailed step-by-step process to quickly resolve the issue thereby eliminating the current hit-or-miss approach. Machinenbau’s and others experiences clearly highlight this point.
Am I missing something here?
I Agree! And, no, I don't think you are missing something - other than the recall notice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Broken Spider is at the dealer, written up, and they should get to looking at it in the next day or two. No loaner cars of course. They told me to rent a car myself and try to get FCA corporate to reimburse me. I, too, have a sense of humor! Not worth the hassle, so I'll be driving the El Camino and motorcycle for a while. Weather looks amazing this week, perfect for a convertible :rolleyes:
Nothing wrong with the El Camino 👍
What are you going to do once they fix it?
Are you going to sell it? What would you consider buying?
Not many convertibles out there that I like. I test drove a newer mustang but it steers like a boat. I had a 350z roadster prior to my 124, but they're a bit out dated and don't like the look of the 370z. Maybe if the come out with a 400z roadster 🤔

Anyway with the extended warranty I might just keep it a few years until I see a car that I like.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nothing wrong with the El Camino 👍
What are you going to do once they fix it?
Are you going to sell it? What would you consider buying?
Not many convertibles out there that I like. I test drove a newer mustang but it steers like a boat. I had a 350z roadster prior to my 124, but they're a bit out dated and don't like the look of the 370z. Maybe if the come out with a 400z roadster 🤔
Anyway with the extended warranty I might just keep it a few years until I see a car that I like.
I agree there's not much like it on the market. It's a special car. But I'll probably sell it and buy the "correct" Miata. Maybe even step down to an NC for more interior space (I'm 6'0"). I'm afraid I'll fall in love all over again once I drive it back from the dealer...like making up with your crazy ex-girlfriend.

·
Registered
'18 124 Abarth mt
9 Posts
Considering the OEM pump location and the ongoing problems, has anyone thought about using a remote-mounted electric water pump? Meziere and Moroso make street-oriented units (55 gpm; 3600 hours min failure) for under $500. A fabbed block-off plate and common hardware to tie into the radiator plumbing would be needed. I've used Meziere pumps on a Mustang and a Jeep for years without issues.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Nice idea.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,411 Posts
Considering the OEM pump location and the ongoing problems, has anyone considered a remote-mounted electric water pump? Meziere and Moroso make street-oriented units (55 gpm; 3600 hours min failure) for under $500. A fabbed block-off plate and common hardware to tie into the radiator plumbing would be needed. I've used Meziere pumps on a Mustang and a Jeep for years without issues.
The issue with this is then changing to a smaller timing belt that still keeps time or mounting a duplicate pulley on the adapter plate to use the OEM belt. Could still leak if the OEM sealant is used.

·
Registered
787 Posts
All I can think of right now is Hammond hand cranking his water pump on a top gear episode. Was he in a 124?

I figure I am on record for three actual repairs, so if it goes out, even beyond the warranty, I will have a case.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Some assembly (and engineering) required...

·
Registered
100 Posts
The issue with this is then changing to a smaller timing belt that still keeps time or mounting a duplicate pulley on the adapter plate to use the OEM belt. Could still leak if the OEM sealant is used.
Looks like Gates has a few options for shorter belts with equivalent pitch and width. Ours is P/N T345, which coincidentally has 124 teeth :D It's just crazy enough to work...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Two weeks from being back from the dealership and all is good so far. Had to drop off a friend at ohare, so put the car through some hard driving, (it’s a jungle out there with construction and trucks and “lanes” made up with four kinds of pavement at all angles) during a hot day with a/c cranking (top down of course) and no sign of leaks. Reservoir tank holding at full. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Two weeks from being back from the dealership and all is good so far. Had to drop off a friend at ohare, so put the car through some hard driving, (it’s a jungle out there with construction and trucks and “lanes” made up with four kinds of pavement at all angles) during a hot day with a/c cranking (top down of course) and no sign of leaks. Reservoir tank holding at full. Fingers crossed.
If you want a long drive, the Fiat Club is meeting today (10-3) @ Chick-N-Dip in Hampshire. We're leaving in about 20 minutes, taking the back roads...

·
Registered
291 Posts
That‘s great!
Dropped mine off in early March and the tech also got it right (other than not properly “burping” the system). Been driving it a lot including a 5-hour wine tour with the local club, and the coolant level pegs at “hot” and drops to reservoir mid-level when cold.
Fingers also crossed.

Reactions: SteveP.
161 - 180 of 226 Posts