Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Water pump

44K views 256 replies 47 participants last post by  Fredcaputo 
#1 ·
Had to have my water pump replaced on the 2018 Fiat 124 with just 4600 miles took 7days to find one and install

#2 ·
Unfortunately there was a batch of pumps out there that leaked. I am surprised at only taking a week to get it replaced though, it is not a fun job for sure.

#11 ·
I’d bet you a brew of your choice the thermostat wasn’t defective.
I
I have an '18 and they replaced mine when they did the thermostat.
I’d bet you a craft brew of your choice that there was nothing wrong with the thermostat. I went around that bush with the local monkeys who think they’re a service department . I still have the original part.
Best regards
Pete

#4 ·
Yeah bad batch in the 18s I think. Good luck

#6 ·
Losing coolant would be first sign, then look for the dried Kermit it-aint-easy-being-green stains. That is a nice plus to the FL22 coolant when it dries, you can see it easily. Water Pump is on the front, middle-left on the timing belt loop behind the cover. Thermostat is other spot that may leak or go bad and that's on the back of the head and a REAL treat to get to in situ.

As long as you don't overheat and warp the head, you shouldn't be left stranded.

#8 ·
It would be nice at this point for "FiatCare" to step in and tell us all when in 2018 and what chassis numbers are effected so that those of us with 18 plates can buy in our spares now..........How about it FIAT ?

#10 ·
I suspect that FIATCare are busy suggesting the owners contact a dealer to resolve any issues as they usually do. I have yet to see anything really helpful come from an postings here by FIATCare. Also, providing that sort of information would require that they admit there is an issue, no?

#12 ·
After looking at some of the FCA RTV used and how it was applied to the water pump and thermostat, I could see the seal being the leak and not a true failed part. There are no gaskets, very few on the engine at all for that matter. When its on good though, its like cement. I had a hard time getting the oil pan off for sure.

Then there are other parts that are sealed with just an oring and one 4mm stud and nut holding the pipe in place. This engine may be pretty bad ass in design for what it does and can do, but the layout is pretty crazy to work on.

#13 · (Edited)
Pikeman + Calehedron, thank you so much for posting that! I'm coming up on my 4 years, and with the warranty running out in July, I've been contemplating whether to bring my car in because of the sporadic whiff of antifreeze. It's never been to the dealer, I've done my own oil changes, and since I haven't needed to add antifreeze yet, I may just take my chances that I don't actually have a defective water pump (and it's a 2017; not a 2018).

#15 ·
Now's the time to ask to see the guts! Only problem is I keep disturbing my original placements but as long as its me moving stuff its ok.

So here's my water pump and the hole in the block. The block surface is smooth but the pump has a groove that runs all the way around. There were a few spots the RTV wasn't in the groove, it could have been a bit more even all around but it didn't leak. It is hard, not pliable at all. I don't see the pump itself leaking at the bearing seal for a long time.

#18 ·
So far, yes. Everyone that had a leak has had it repaired under warranty.

#20 · (Edited)
More show and tell! Here's the FCA Coolant RTV I purchased in Mid-March 2020. Greg mentions in his engine build video that the tubes he got were YEARS out of date. The manual even calls out time limits from moment of application, to seal, to torque. The Oil RTV expires the end of July. Uh, Maybe..... Guess I will be going with the JB Weld brand route like Greg. It's RED too!

Now back to the other head scratchers in the cooling system. Here's the exhaust side water manifold I mentioned before and Greg talks about this one in his last video. It's just shoved into the hole opposite the water pump and seals with a double humped purple oring. A single 4mm stud and nut hold it all in place while splitting to the turbo, oil cooler, and back to the radiator. That oring costs more than the timing belt, serpentine belt, head gasket, MA gasket, and cover gasket combined or very close to that whole order I placed before I looked into the oring. Gonna lube/condition it up with Krytox high temp, low reactive grease I have in excess at work to help it seal again.

#21 ·
My water pump was found minor leaking after about 2500 miles when I took my new 2018 124 spider in to to have the faulty thermostat replaced (both replacements were done under new car warranty about four months ago). Took the car in one morning and got it back in the afternoon of next day so looks like certified Chrysler Fiat dealers in Southern California have no problem getting the parts.

#23 ·
I doubt either were faulty. If you got it back in less than 2 work days, I would be willing to put big money on the RTV on both of them.

Reactions: 4713
#24 ·
What a clusterfuck.... I spoke to the dealer about replacing the water pump. Asked them to order it ahead of time so I don't have to waste time. They did and all seemed good.... Dropped off my car and had to wait 2 more days to get it back because they didn't have the right gasket in stock.

Finally picked up the car and re-installed my Seletron Chipbox. Engine warning light, electrical fault light, OBD II diagnostic shows a problem with a turbo sensor... Car drives like it has 50% power.... WTF???

Pop the hood when I'm home and find that the techs had disconnected the Seletron wiring harness going to the Pierburg sensor. I re-connect it and everything feels right again....except the engine and electrical warning lights are still flashing on my dash. Took a short drive and came back home.

I parked the car and turned it off and then I heard a strange noise from under the hood. I popped the hood and recorded what sounded like a laboring pump. It sounded like a seal barking. Unfortunately, I can't attach a non-image audio file here. After a few minutes, the car fully shut down and the noise stopped.

I'm letting the car cool down and then will check again without the Chipbox installed. Any advice for how to solve this without another dreadful dealer visit?

#25 ·
First, there is no gasket. None, nada, zilch. It's just RTV. They straight up lied to you if that's what they said. I have provided the pictures multiple times. Go find one on the exploded engine view, I would bet a pinky finger you won't find it.

Second, not having the boost sensor break out cable hooked up would confuse the piggyback. You need to clear the CEL from when it wasn't hooked up. It will clear on its own in 3 to 4 decent drives or you can clear if you have an OBD dongle or you can pull the negative battery lead for 30 minutes (step on the brake pedal a few times after disconnect) and then reconnect but that clears EVERYTHING learned. Not a huge deal but it will take 100-150 miles to settle back in again for best performance.

Last, that sound you heard was the turbo cooling pump that runs after shutdown when the turbo exceeds a certain temp. It heading into summer and you will hear it more and for a longer time. Just like the radiator fans that run for a few minutes after shutting down the engine, this cools the turbo bearings to keep them from sludging up. In the old days, you idled the engine for a few minutes before turning off. Now they are smart enough to do it for you.

#29 ·
If you are 2018 and finding coolant puddles it seems like its water pump time based on a lot of posts on here.

#30 ·
Greetings all, I’m new to this forum. Bought a lovely used ‘18 124 Classica with 7400 miles. At 7800 miles I noticed the green fluid on the garage floor. Coolant. Drove it in denial but eventually relented and brought it in for service. Water pump. Had to order it; back ordered due to COVID-related supply chain issues. Replacement scheduled for Monday. My only concern is the mental image of Dodge RAM mechanics working on the Italian 1.4 engine. I hope they train them well because I cannot think of two more dissimilar machines than a RAM pickup with a big block V8 and the 124.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.