Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I still haven't determined if my OCD will tolerate running wires down to the cluster, or if I'd need to dremel in to the plastic right behind where the gauge would be.
I’ve got some nice wire loom picked out. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
@Jon

There's quite a bit of room in the vent area. So you could run the wiring inside and down the outside of the vent(still inside the housing into the under dash area) that make sense? See pictures. The vent seals, as long as you stay on the outside of the vent but inside the housing maybe you can notch the mount so u don't damage the car?

Aloha Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
CravenSpeed also has a vent mount that mounts pretty nicely right above the air vent. Easy to install and there's room (if you're sneaky) for hidden wires.

https://www.cravenspeed.com/vent-gauge-pod-for-fiat-124/
See the pic on the previous page, that is exactly what I have installed ;)

I just sent CravenSpeed a message last night that they should list it for the 124. Looks like they followed through.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Got my Ortiz A-pillar gauge pod today. It's a nice long 3-month wait to get it made but well worth it in my opinion. This oughta tell the guy in the next lane that you're a serious street racer.

There were some comments before that the piece is thin and brittle, but maybe Ortiz has improved since then. I think this piece is plenty thick and you should be fine as long as you're careful with the installation

Color wise it's a pretty close match with the OEM A-pillar and I'm pretty sure this is as close as you're going to get with a custom fab part.

Now I just need to figure out what gauges to put in it...

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
Got my Ortiz A-pillar gauge pod today. It's a nice long 3-month wait to get it made but well worth it in my opinion. This oughta tell the guy in the next lane that you're a serious street racer.

There were some comments before that the piece is thin and brittle, but maybe Ortiz has improved since then. I think this piece is plenty thick and you should be fine as long as you're careful with the installation

Color wise it's a pretty close match with the OEM A-pillar and I'm pretty sure this is as close as you're going to get with a custom fab part.

The pillar is a stock Mazda piece with the pods added on filled and painted to “match”.
I’m curious to see how yours holds up. A proper pillar gauge is really needed for this platform.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
@HaZ . Let us know how it holds up. I have seen Ortiz failures on other platforms. I ordered from him, but canceled after seeing his failures. He uses an OEM A Pillar moldings and grafts his pods to it with Bondo filler and paint. The failures show massive cracks and delamination of the pods. I hope yours fair better.

It’s a great idea, but needs to be a new contiguous molding.

Dan

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That's an older pic, it's 15k now.
I don't feel so bad now. I was reading just shy of 23,000 km before I put the beast to bed for the winter, so that's a mere 13,800 miles. You definitely have me beat on milage! I've got my Defi boost gauge on my centre vent bezel, and got the red version to go along with my red vent caps. Now after looking at what you've done, I'm sorely tempted to put a temp gauge on the left hand pod. It would be nice to have both.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts

Boost and A/F ratio gauges are what I would do. I've always liked PLX Devices gauges. Had them in my STS Silverado.

·
Registered
142 Posts
what would be kewl is someone to designs a programmable guage. it would be wireless and you can send what ever info you want to it from an odbII plug in connector and use ur cell to program or change what is sent to the guage/screen. and a-pillar mounted would be great.
This is what you're looking for.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts