Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone explored the possibilities of pulling weight out of the Spider?

Are there any easy, or not-so-easy things that owners have found AND ACTUALLY DONE ?

Please don't bother telling of the really expensive things ( Seats, wheels, etc.) I'm talking about removing stuff, not adding.

In such a low-HP vehicle, even small reductions can improve the power-to-weight ratio drastically.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wheels are going to be a substantial gain but like you aluded to, more costly. Many have done the battery swap. Not sure there is much else that won't affect daily looks and usage.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts
There isn't that much to remove other than carpet/linings. It's a pretty basic car. Brakes, Coilovers, Wheels, Battery are pretty huge gains although they do cost a bit but also have other better functions than just weight loss. Light flywheel and clutch assembly and main pulley drop another ~15lb getting in a little deeper like I am.

·
Registered
78 Posts
take the passenger chair out
that is free, not expensive
done
there are no "magic" parts on this car to remove unless you want to drive without a windshield or convertible top.
the infotainment screen is quite heavy, that will save you 5 to 10 lbs.
throw your cup holders in the trash

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Cut your carbs.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The only cheap and easy things you can do are remove the trunk liner, your floor mats and your owner's manual. Or you can skip lunch. If you want to save weight beyond that it gets expensive.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I saved 50lbs through a bit of diet and exercise. I also saved a ton of cash in the process because diabetes is expensive.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I saved 50lbs through a bit of diet and exercise. I also saved a ton of cash in the process because diabetes is expensive.
You look like a cancer patient now though. But I might be saying that out of jealously also.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You look like a cancer patient now though. But I might be saying that out of jealously also.
Strangely, you're not the first to make that observation...:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Change the battery to a lighter one. I switched to a Braille B2015 AGM Battery that weighs only 15 lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Change the battery to a lighter one. I switched to a Braille B2015 AGM Battery that weighs only 15 lbs.
I would need to put my hands on it first, get a feel for it.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Redline Autoparts lists it at 105lbs.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
That is including the entire frame assembly, not just the canvas and window.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Lose some weight. 😂
Cheap mode and healthy
To top this, when gasing just fill half tank.
If this is not enough
You have a MAJOR PROBLEM😱😂

·
Registered
871 Posts
Emmm Above comments aren't very helpful I personally think
Without big modifications

1. First thing Battery, with a light weight battery you'll save 30lbs instantly.
2. Second of all Wheels, aftermarket wheels and wider robber with save you about 20lbs total
3. Replace Both Seat with racing seats, saves you about 20-30lbs each seat depends on the seat, OEM seats are heavy, airbag, heated seat, speakers
4. Now More involved one you can get a hardtop from Europe for about $5,000 and remove the softtop, I forgot but it was about a 40-60lbs save
5. With the hardtop removed you can removed all the panels behind your seat and put a bolt on roll bar (Adds weight, but 100% needed for safety)

That's basically it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts