Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did my first oil change today and cut open the filter afterwards. This has been customary for every new car I buy just to get a feel for the amount of metal the engine is making. I will say I'm impressed with both what came out of the crankcase and the filter. There were some very tiny flecks in the oil that were nearly impossible to see with the naked eye and the filter only caught about a half dozen flecks bigger than 0.5mm. The largest was almost 2 x 2 mm. My last two new cars, a 2011 Element on 2007 Fit didn't do nearly as well as the new Spider. Both the Honda are running strong with no apparent oil use. The Fit has around 150K and the Element, 76K. Castrol Syntech at recommended intervals.

Around 3,500 miles so far and no apparent oil usage on the 124. The turbo had no oil in the inlet either. Yes, a real keeper.

·
Registered
480 Posts
cool congrats. the ability to inspect the filter element is about the only aspect of a cartridge type filter I like more than a spin on type...

·
Registered
18 Posts
not really, although it should be less expensive to produce, it appears to be priced similar to all other oil filters...
So when you remove the filter cover the oil always drain back to the pan so no spilling because of the design.

On the side note this website never loads 100% anyone else has this issue and very slow to tipe?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
On the side note this website never loads 100% anyone else has this issue and very slow to tipe?
I've seen that using Chrome on my Windows laptop. Does't appear to be a problem in Safari on my Mac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts