Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... I ordered a 2018... But I couldn't wait! On Tuesday I picked up my Rosso Lusso / Saddle / MT in Houston. I live in Birmingham AL and my local dealer, while very nice, was straight MSRP. I've been obsessing about this car for two months and on Saturday found one on a lot in Houston that was almost exactly what I want (except no Comfort/Safety). And it was discounted. And they don't have a "mandatory $500 Doc fee" in Texas. So I was thinking: Do I really want to pay $3500 more for the Safety and Comfort package AND wait until the fall to get it? Nope. Called them up, did the deal over the phone and flew down to get the car. Fortunately, I have relatives in Houston so I had a free place to stay.

So, I picked the car up with 7 miles on the OD!! That's exactly the way I like to buy new cars. Of course it was pouring rain, which is not the way I like to buy new cars. But the car was going to get rained on sooner or later anyway...

The drive home to Birmingham is about 700 miles and takes about 12 hours with stops. Here's my observations after spending ALOT of time in the cockpit:

Wow! My expectations were pretty high for this car. They were easily surpassed! I have made the Houston-Birmingham drive many times. I have never felt as good after that drive as I did yesterday. Even though it is small, I can honestly say this is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. It's like they used me for the mold when the built it.

I love the way it drives. The things that make my S2000 "better" are exactly the reasons I wanted this car. It may not handle quite as well as the Honda, but it's also not a frantic, manic mess on the highway. And it handles our "less then perfect" roads with aplomb. The first little part of the drive was a mix of stop and go rush hour in Houston during a rain storm and highway speeds during a rain storm. The Spider was sure footed and easy to drive through all of it. The S2000 is... not so good in the rain.

But the drive back to Alabama is where the car really shined. I planned on going back on mostly back roads to properly break in the engine. The route was Houston to Natchez MS, Natchez Trace to Jackson and then interstate home. What a great route (and our new normal route). And the two fillups? 32.1 mpg on the first one and 35.8 mpg on the second! And that is a mix of stop and go up to cruise at 80..

All I can say is that I love this car! If you own one, you know already. If you don't, go buy one - you'll be glad you did!

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
I totally agree. One of the things that really surprised me is how I felt after a 10.5 hour, 700 mile drive to San Antonio. When I injured my back in 2003, I needed a comfortable car to make that trip. I liked the seats in the Mazda RX8, and have endured the seats in other cars over the years, Ford, Hondas and Subarus. I always dreaded those trips, and limited them to 2 per year. Since August 28th, I have made that trip 4 times, and each time I get out of the car feeling as good as when I got in. Like you said, it's as though they used me as the template for the driver, like a NASA astronaut.

When I am asked, as I have been many times, how I like the car, I always say it is the most fun car I have ever driven. I should also add, the most comfortable on long trips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations!! Are you planning on keeping that AP1 ?
Thanks! No on keeping the S2000. I love it, but I already have three cars for two people. I don't really need (or have space for) four! I'm getting it detailed (along with the 124) on Monday and will put it up for sale. It's been a great car. I honestly didn't think I would ever sell it... Until the 124 caught my eye!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats on the new Spider. I'm just north of 3000 miles in mine and I love it more with every mile driven. The only two mods I've done is the GFB+ Diverter Valve and the Good-Win quad tip muffler delete. The sound is amazing with the muffler delete. I'm really on the fence regarding doing the ECU tune since the car feels great as is. What great little cars these are! When my little sister was out visiting over Christmas, I took her for a ride in mine and she went back home and bought one herself. Her only complaint is that her commute is now too short.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Congratulations

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
Enjoy a wonderful car! And BTW, that $500 "mandatory doc fee" is a Texas dirty trick. No honest dealer pulls that. Glad to hear they rolled over on it.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Enjoy a wonderful car! And BTW, that $500 "mandatory doc fee" is a Texas dirty trick. No honest dealer pulls that. Glad to hear they rolled over on it.
Best regards
Pete
The Texas dealer didn't even try. But the Alabama one said it was "non-negotiable." In my life, I've purchased five new cars (all while living in Alabama). Four of them, I purchased out of state... This is not a good place to buy a car.

·
Registered
483 Posts
looks great. congrats. you will love the addition of the GER exhaust and the GFB DV+, they are the two mods which I have done to my Fiata... yes that is my car's official nickname.... let the haters hate, I will pick up the ball and run with it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts