Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
2nd in C Street. My main competitor had lighter wheels, better shocks, and a front sway bar. I need the FSB badly. I'm pulling one rear wheel up from all the lean enough to lose traction mid sweeper. I ended up 18th overall of 267 people. The top 20 spots get trophies and a reserved number for the next year. Really looking forward to the Koni yellows, Karcepts front bar (when Brian tells me the secret of making it work with stock intercooler piping), and lighter wheels.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,460 Posts
Well done!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Parts list for Feb/Mar:

C Street build sheet

Front Koni yellows: 380
Rear Koni yellows: 380
Bump stops front (59mm) resuspension.com white: 35.50
Bump stops rear (74mm) resuspension.com blue: 35.50
Karcepts FSB: 600
Karcepts sway bar bracket: 275
TR wheels: 500
Bridgestone RE71R tires: 720

Total: 2926

Extras, not necessary:
UC crosspipe (works with stock midpipe and cat): ??
If UC crosspipe unvailable, System-one exhaust: 1400
Air filter: 50
4c coil packs: 285
Seat lowering bracket: 450 (must ballast to make up for weight difference, gray area of street class legal, might fall under comfort and convenience)

OEM tire diameter: 24.3”
225/45R17 RE71R: 25.0” 180 each $70 rebate from SCCA membership, contingency at national events
225/45R17 Yokohama A052: 25.1” 197 each no contingency
225/45R17 BFGoodrich Rival 1.5S: 25.0” 165 each contingency at national events.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This year I'm going to try 2 national level events (including the big one, Solo National Championship) as well as a MiDiv divisional event that my local club is hosting. Other than that I'll be doing:
27 points events total over 2 regions
12 points events for STLSCCA (of 12 total)
15 points events for CCSCC (of 18 total)
36 days at the track total
7 days in Lincoln, NE
11 days in Rantoul
10 days at Family Arena
4 days at Parkland
2 days at WWTR
13 nights on the road

3/21 CCSCC Event 1 Rantoul (hotel)
3/22 CCSCC Event 2 Rantoul

3/29 STLSCCA TNT WWTR
4/4 CCSCC AutoX school Rantoul
4/5 STLSCCA Event 1 FA
4/18 CCSCC Event 3 Rantoul (hotel)
4/19 CCSCC Event 4 Rantoul
5/2 CCSCC Event 5 Parkland (hotel)
5/3 CCSCC Event 6 Parkland

5/23-25 Spring Nationals Lincoln, NE (hotel 3 nights)
6/6 Evolution School Rantoul
6/7 STLSCCA Event 3 FA
6/13 CCSCC Event 7 Rantoul (hotel)
6/14 CCSCC Event 8 Rantoul
6/21 STLSCCA Event 4 FA
7/11 MiDiv/STLSCCA Event 5 FA
7/12 MiDiv/STLSCCA Event 6 FA
7/18 CCSCC Event 9 Rantoul (hotel)
7/19 CCSCC Event 10 Rantoul
7/26 STLSCCA Event 7 WWTR
8/22 CCSCC Event 11 Rantoul
8/23 STLSCCA Event 8 FA
9/5 CCSCC Event 12 Parkland (hotel)
9/6 CCSCC Event 13 Parkland

9/7-11 Solo Nationals Lincoln, NE (4 nights hotel)
9/20 STLSCCA Event 9 FA
10/3 CCSCC Event 15 Rantoul
10/4 STLSCCA Event 10 FA
10/18 STLSCCA Event 11 FA
11/7 CCSCC Event 17 Rantoul
11/8 STLSCCA Event 12 FA

FA=Family Arena in St Charles, MO
WWTR=WorldWide Technologies Raceway in Granite City, IL
Rantoul=The old Chanute AFB in Rantoul, IL
Parkland=Parkland College in Champaign, IL

If you can meet me at any of these, let me know!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I got my Koni Yellows in, bought them from Deyeme Racing.
Then came the 14lbs wheels and fresh RE71Rs.
I also got the frame rail reinforcement blocks from Karcepts, and the Karcepts bar. It fits, but I had to get creative with the intercooler mounting bracket and bolt. Let me just say it fits, but it rubs, and the bracket is bent, and there's tension on the intercooler pipe, but not so much I'm afraid it will come apart. The bar is almost completely installed, I just need some SAE tools to finish mounting the arms and endlinks tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,460 Posts
Excellent, Tim. You got your use out of those tires for sure.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wow you’ve got a busy year ahead !!!
exciting thread. And you really got your moneys worth on the RE’s. how are they holding up for you event after event? I noticed my car started to both understeer in high speed turns and oversteer just after the 2nd track day. They still had a lot of meat on them after the 3rd day but I took them off as they started to feel like they were not up for turning fast lap times.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The RE71s were good to the last drop. I got over 120 runs and 10k street miles out of each set (2 sets last year). I noticed that they fall off if you leave them stored for a long time, even at room temp. They also don't like to be overheated. We saw big improvements by spraying the tires with water between runs on the days I had a codriver. For track stuff, I can see how they'd overheat and get greasy. I think a lot of our TT and RR guys here prefer the PS4S and Rivals, if not an R compound like the R888s, etc.

I want to try the new Yokohama A052, but in Street class trim, I'm too limited on camber and am afraid I'd only get 60 or so runs on them before the outer shoulder was gone.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's great to see the interest in flogging these cars around at Autocross courses. I was getting ready to start autocrossing again - I did it some number of years ago in my 1979 X1/9 (I ran it completely stock) - and was going to resume in either the X or my 2018 Lusso (also completely stock).

But the spot that had been used by the SCCA is getting a building put up on it so until they can find a new spot, it looks like my autocrossing days are on hold.

Larry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Karcepts bar completely installed. Initial impressions is that the Koni shocks feel amazing, nice and firm, not too bad on the road. The bar (on setting 3 of 5) definitely decreases that initial turn in response, the car feels a touch numb at the beginning. But it does take a LOT of the roll out of the car, which means I'll be able to apply power through a turn, now.

As for how well the bar fits, there are a few notes. First, you have to follow the instructions that come with it. They are quite concise. I tried bolting the bushing mounts to the car first and running the bar through the holes, and it did not clear the steering pump motor bolts. But putting the bar through the bushings THEN bolting the bushings down worked just fine and everything cleared.

The inner frame reinforcements were kind of a pain to install, but not terrible. I ended up not using one of the bolts on the passenger side because our intercooler is bolted to the frame right where you need to get for the bolt. But there are 3 other fasteners holding it in place, so I don't think that will be an issue.

The plastic splash shields must be different on the Mazda. The bar rubs the plastics badly enough I actually had to do a lot of pushing and pulling to get them to fasten up correctly. The bar is pushing on the plastics, but I don't foresee any issues with that long term.

The big deal with this bar is clearing the bolt and rubber grommet that holds the driver side intercooler pipe to the frame. I had to get creative to make it work. There is a metal plate that goes from the frame rail to the intercooler pipe mount (which is plastic). I was able to put a bend in the metal plate just enough to get it to clear. I didn't replace any parts or remove any parts, so it's still Street class legal...but it did have to be bent out of the way. I bent it just enough to clear, and there isn't any unnecessary tension on the intercooler piping, so I'm not worried about popping it apart while driving. The bolt head may rub against the bar, though..But I put a dab of grease on that area.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts