Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I think it's a reasonable idea. However as I haven't actually done it yet, I can't be certain there won't be some unforeseen complication. There often is...

Greg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you greg. also what do you think about aftermarket lsd support for spider? will it be soon?

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
In Aus, the Miata range also gets LSD as standard on all models except the 1.5 auto..and obviously Fiat only sells the LSD equiped Abarth version here. The BRZ and 86 also get standard LSD except the base model Toyota auto.

Every performance car (FWD or RWD) should have it in my opinion. Although curiously, Lotus don't think it's necessary on the Elise (even in 220+hp mode...although it's an option), and McLaren famously eschews it on their cars for an electronic brake steer system (which is hard to fathom).

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Every performance car (FWD or RWD) should have it in my opinion.
I agree, it can't cost that much, I don't understand why they don't include it.

Although curiously, Lotus don't think it's necessary on the Elise (even in 220+hp mode...although it's an option), and McLaren famously eschews it on their cars for an electronic brake steer system (which is hard to fathom).
Alfa does something similiar on the 4C. it doesn't have a mechanical LSD, but uses electronics to sort of simulate one.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I agree, it can't cost that much, I don't understand why they don't include it.

Alfa does something similiar on the 4C. it doesn't have a mechanical LSD, but uses electronics to sort of simulate one.
I've never driven an electronic system that works as well personally. They always feel a bit dim witted.

The 4C seems to have that much rear traction that...on the several road drives I've had in them...I've never come close to unsticking the rear end of one. I think you'd have to be pretty brutal...and on a track.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What type of LSD does the Abarth use? Clutch pack or Torsen? I did a quick google and downloaded the brochure but all it says is "mechnical".

OP, what is your intended usage?

If competition maybe wait for OS-Giken to produce a differential for this platform - being based on the MX5 I expect there will be one available eventually.

If it's a street car and/or "light competition" then the factory LSD will be fine (clutch or Torsen) and probably preferred.

A Torsen can be annoying at 10/10ths but tame. The clicking/squirming with traction breaking and high G cornering is kind of annoying. By high Gs I mean 1.0~1.4 G.

Clutch packs need maintenance - I'd prefer a Torsen personally.

OS-Giken is awesome but noisy almost everywhere. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the Mazda's LSD is a Torsen. I can't imagine that the Abarth's is different but maybe it is?

GT86/BRZ are Torsen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed Goodwin Racing put a Mazda limited slip with an ND casing in their car. Go to there site and look at thread on Fiat 124. It is on page 4 of the thread and dated Sept. 14, 2016.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts