Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our 2020 Spider down for its first Oil/filter change after 1 year, 5,000 miles to the Dodge-Fiat dealer that I purchased it from.

I forgot to ask at the time... what brand of oil do dealers use? Is it the same across the US?

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
870 Posts
Likely Pennzoil, and not the high end euro whatever we need. Most get delivered in bulk by a large truck with pennzoil quaker state on the side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It’s Pennzoil 5W40 Euro at my dealer. They buy that and 5W30 in bulk. I had my wife’s 500X in today to get its first oil change (1000 miles) and they used Pennzoil Euro OW30 in retail bottles- they only have 2 bulk containers.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Interesting to read that this is the way it's handled in the US. My local dealer here in Calgary, AB Canada, uses the Penzoil Premium Euro as specified in the owners manual, and it comes in the same yellow one quart jugs I can buy at the local Canadian Tire. How do I know? Because they give me my oil and filter and I do my own changes, but they record it for warrantly purposes as if they'd done the oil change in the shop.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What a great question! Fun to see the responses.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5W40 is hard to find locally. Oil is critical to any engine but even more so in the case of FIAT's MultiAir valve actuation system which uses engine oil via a computer-controlled solenoid to actually open and close the intake valves, allowing both variable valve timing and variable valve lift. There are less expensive full synthetics but this one is factory approved .... the added peace of mind is worth it.

Liquid Fluid Plastic bottle Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi..We have discussed this "Critical" subject over the years quite a bit now and it is ALWAYS worth re hashing as the incorrect oil WILL damage your MultiAir engine unit.
We included 9with updates for USA / UK in "124 Spider Basic ownership Rules...some of", and.....XtremeRevolution (His Expert Subject by the way) along with a couple of other well versed enthusiasts explained FULLY in "Engine Oil Tech Talk" page 5.............EVERYONE IN DOUBT, will not be once read. Cheers
ron

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
996 Posts
My UK Fiat dealer uses Selenia K PE ("pure energy") 5W40 as per the manual

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you guys think that the special certification (I forgot the code) for Fiat engines that Pennzoil has really makes a difference? Shouldn't all synthetic 5W-40 be ok? I only ask since my dealer only stated they used synthetic 5W-40 for my Spider but don't mention the brand.

·
Registered
996 Posts
With the multiair engine having oil operated valves inside I would err on the side of caution and only use oils that are approved to the Fiat specification 9.55535-S2 or MS-12991 as per the manual. For any other engine, yeah I would use whatever 5W40 grade that met the "characteristic" of ACEA C3 / API SN.

Reactions: HiFi Guy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really wish I could use Mobil 1 OW40. It’s great oil and easily found pretty much anywhere.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I really wish I could use Mobil 1 OW40. It’s great oil and easily found pretty much anywhere.
You can order Pennzoil Platinum Euro with just a few clicks... $8.11 for 1 quart. Use only oils that are approved to the Fiat specification 9.55535-S2 or MS-12991.

It is used by Fiat authorized US dealers.

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
My dealer puts in Pennzoil 5W40 Euro, But as next Spring I will be using AMSOIL oil and filter which I bought a 4 year supply from @XtremeRevolution. Oil change was getting expensive here $120. So I bought the suction pump and a case of 4 gallon and the 4th oil change will be free.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
No reason why you can't, it's what I use and perfect....as I said above..Read the thread "Engine Oil Tech Talk, page 5 "

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
No reason why you can't, it's what I use and perfect....as I said above..Read the thread "Engine Oil Tech Talk, page 5 "
Well there is "one" reason to take into consideration. :)

No reason why you can't so long as you don't have an issue with the engine while it's under warranty. Then it would be an excuse for the dealers to avoid dealing with it at their cost as a warranty claim. A matter or risk tolerance, and one I personally wouldn't take on till the engine is out of warranty. And even after the warranty period has expired, I'd be going for an oil of same spec, rather than something lighter.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
610 Posts
My dealer uses Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 in the individual quart bottles.

Reactions: Scorpius

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well there is "one" reason to take into consideration. :)

No reason why you can't so long as you don't have an issue with the engine while it's under warranty. Then it would be an excuse for the dealers to avoid dealing with it at their cost as a warranty claim. A matter or risk tolerance, and one I personally wouldn't take on till the engine is out of warranty. And even after the warranty period has expired, I'd be going for an oil of same spec, rather than something lighter.
Warranty is why I can’t. I have a 5 year unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty (except wear items, brake pads, wiper blades etc). I’m not risking it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can order Pennzoil Platinum Euro with just a few clicks... $8.11 for 1 quart. Use only oils that are approved to the Fiat specification 9.55535-S2 or MS-12991.

It is used by Fiat authorized US dealers.
[/URL]
Good to know. I called my dealer (in Myrtle Beach) and someone was to call me back to confirm what brand they use, but no call back (not a surprise).

Any Myrtle Beach owners here that go to Addy Dodge-Fiat for oil changes?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts