Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Read Only
1,692 Posts
Great camera work of the optional “bright polished” tips which are too big to fit other aftermarket tips on.
I’m sold on that polish now. Already in my cart for next shipment. The shine really does a number on them
Thanks! It's so physically easy to do and takes so little time. I will be adding this procedure to my routine detailing regimen.

·
Read Only
1,692 Posts
^ That's good to hear, because mine will be put up in the garage from whenever the first salt trucks hit the road until the springs rains have thoroughly removed all the winter salt from the roads.

·
Read Only
1,692 Posts
Installed a PTP fiberglass turbo blanket. Went with black since I like a stealth / OEM appearance and figure it's going to get the job done. Total installation time, 30 minutes. 25 minutes to install blanket + 5 minutes to retrieve dropped 10mm socket from belly pan underneath the engine. 😉

Oddly, when I went to re-install the little crosshead screw on the sensor cable P-clamp, I noticed it was already stripped. Must have been that way from the factory as I've never touched it before. I happened to have a hex-socket button-head replacement in the right size, so I grabbed some Parker green threadlocker and snugged it in place.

Model-specific instructions seem to be non-existent in the box or on the website. I had to ponder the blanket a bit to understand that it needed to be oriented 90° from what I initially thought. It came with three bolts and three fender washers; these I used to replace the three bolts that held the OEM metal heat shield in place. I wasn't sure what to do with the fourth rear flanged shoulder bolt, so I just left it in place to stick up through the grommet. Looks oddly like a loose bolt sitting back there, but since I know it's not I'm fine with it.

Honestly, recovering the 10mm socket was at least as, if not more, satisfying than installing the turbo blanket. I couldn't see it at all, and wasn't sure where it went other than hearing it clank on the metal of the belly pan. I bent my magnetic recovery tool into a crescent and swept the pan, and heard the satisfying "Click!" of it making contact with the socket. 😏

Driving impressions: first thing I noticed is that it also insulates the sound of the turbo. The car is a little quieter, which is fine with me. I like to hear induction and I enjoy the low growl of my stock exhaust sound. The expected cooking-off odor is pretty mild; reminds me of a new furnace starting for the first time. I'm not sure I could perceive a difference in the quickness of turbo spooling up, but that's OK.

I opened the hood when I was back in the garage. To be honest I wasn't sure I could tell subjectively that the underhood temperatures were any lower, but intellectually I know they have to be.

Edit: this bracket looks like a big heat sink. Has anyone tried thermally isolating it from the turbo? You can see that the mounting bolt and the contact with the turbo, drawing heat right out of it.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts