Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 2569 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Got the Spider reg'd today... literally passing my docs and money through the side window of the county clerk's office...

Made the effort to try and level out the plate... whoever drilled the first set of holes must've been a total muppet, the plate wasn't centered, or level. The plate surround is now level, per an actual spirit level, even if the plate itself is not level within the surround :mad: ... Yeah, the holes in the plate itself were visibly off by an 8th inch-ish. I tried to center it side-to-side, and it's a bit closer now than it was, but not perfect... but that's as many holes as I'm drilling, dammit.

Also got Phase 1 of moving the 124Spider emblem done... removal and reapplication the 3M... waiting for another part to arrive before Phase 2 can happen...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Keeping Goodwin Racing in business! Took delivery of the following:
  • Magnaflow System One exhaust with the 2.5" high-flow cross-pipe
  • Koni Sport shocks & RoadsterSport springs
  • Progress front and back sway bars (and Roadstersport endlinks)
Dropped the "little red car" off at the installer earlier today. Hopefully will pick it up tomorrow afternoon, or Friday morning. Can't wait!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd LOVE to send GWR a few hundos for the Aurora Auto Design low profile seat base, but I can't justify sending money for parts they don't actually have in stock, with no idea how long I'll be waiting for delivery...

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Got the Spider reg'd today... literally passing my docs and money through the side window of the county clerk's office...

Made the effort to try and level out the plate... whoever drilled the first set of holes must've been a total muppet, the plate wasn't centered, or level. The plate surround is now level, per an actual spirit level, even if the plate itself is not level within the surround :mad: ... Yeah, the holes in the plate itself were visibly off by an 8th inch-ish. I tried to center it side-to-side, and it's a bit closer now than it was, but not perfect... but that's as many holes as I'm drilling, dammit.

Also got Phase 1 of moving the 124Spider emblem done... removal and reapplication the 3M... waiting for another part to arrive before Phase 2 can happen...

Ah Ha !.......Got YOU...your secret is out.....I saw Phase 1 and thought Big Induction & Turbo, then I read on..........That plate is higher now , is it not ? and finally Straight......:pCheers
ron

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Well....Had a call from Doctors surgery yesterday, wanted me in last evening so I thought..."Not Isolated Anymore"! so I took the Spider out instead of the VW -Roc, coming back in the dark.... Now, no big deal you may say, but....since buying the Spider March last year and doing my "Brexit Mods" thread including updating the halogens it was the first time the Spider has seen darkness, and it was fine, plus....the route to and from my Doctors includes my "BIKE and Sports Car twisty, knee down bends so I even got to watch the potential road kill get to live another day as I avoided them, God, Pheasants are sooo stupid !
Today at 0715 hours my Good Mate Kevan the local Garage Foreman collected the Spider to take it in for it-s second service (keep warranty intact) so at least the Spider is getting some exercise, whereas we are only allowed out for exercise once a day and CANNOT take the car on any non essential journeys.
Stay Safe,One and All, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
26 Posts
I really want to wash my car but I am currently not able to... Due to Covid-19, all car washes have been closed and it is illegal to wash a car at home in my area.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ah Ha !.......Got YOU...your secret is out.....I saw Phase 1 and thought Big Induction & Turbo, then I read on..........That plate is higher now , is it not ? and finally Straight......:pCheers
ron
You're slipping man... yeah the plate is about 1/4' higher and 1/4' left of where it was... and yeah, finally level... but you missed one addition in that image... 😁

Oh look, the USPS says the secret part needed for completion of the 124Spider emblem move is out for delivery... should be able to get that done this afternoon... now, where'd I put that #2 Pencil... and the plumbline...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well....Had a call from Doctors surgery yesterday, wanted me in last evening so I thought..."Not Isolated Anymore"! so I took the Spider out instead of the VW -Roc, coming back in the dark.... Now, no big deal you may say, but....since buying the Spider March last year and doing my "Brexit Mods" thread including updating the halogens it was the first time the Spider has seen darkness, and it was fine, plus....the route to and from my Doctors includes my "BIKE and Sports Car twisty, knee down bends so I even got to watch the potential road kill get to live another day as I avoided them, God, Pheasants are sooo stupid !
Today at 0715 hours my Good Mate Kevan the local Garage Foreman collected the Spider to take it in for it-s second service (keep warranty intact) so at least the Spider is getting some exercise, whereas we are only allowed out for exercise once a day and CANNOT take the car on any non essential journeys.
Stay Safe,One and All, Cheers
ron
Glad you got a bit of a jaunt in the saddle... tomorrow, they're closing my favorite road to all traffic, to quarantine it... I didn't know asphault could even get COVID-19...

I wonder what the relative intelligence level regarding traffic is, compared between the English Pheasant, and the North American Turkey... they love the roads, find them the most comfortable place to just set, and set... and set...

·
Premium Member
535 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Glad you got a bit of a jaunt in the saddle... tomorrow, they're closing my favorite road to all traffic, to quarantine it... I didn't know asphault could even get COVID-19...

I wonder what the relative intelligence level regarding traffic is, compared between the English Pheasant, and the North American Turkey... they love the roads, find them the most comfortable place to just set, and set... and set...

American cousins obviously, I like to say karl was the only Idiot.......

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I really want to wash my car but I am currently not able to... Due to Covid-19, all car washes have been closed and it is illegal to wash a car at home in my area.
"I THINK" we are allowed to potter in the garden, unsure about washing the car though..my Spider is back from local garage late afternoon so as it lives in my garage and my wife suffers severe COPD I am going to antibac and wash the Spider before I tuck it away, definately, then clothes in washing and shower for me. The dogs are wondering why they are only going out early morning, hard on us all, eh !

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
...and it is illegal to wash a car at home in my area.
Is that a COVID-19 related restriction or is it always illegal?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Completed the move of the 124Spider badge, and added one of those cheap metal Abarth scorpion emblems you can find on eBay/Amazon. Paid $8 for mine, a couple bucks more than some, so I could have it sooner, rather than later...

Unfortunately, I seem to have burned the clear in the area where the 124Spider badge was originally. I thought I had managed to get away without a scratch, but in a certain light this afternoon, I caught the shadow of the badge in the original location. I'll have to see if I can get it to buff out...

Being a life-long Star Wars geek, I've had a tradition since the first moment I had my driver's license. I like to reference the scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Han Solo and Princess Leia hide from the Empire by hitching a ride on the back of a Star Destroyer by hiding a small Millennium Falcon on the back of all my cars, trucks, motorcycles and even boats. I can't tell you how many times I've had people literally freak out when they see it, want to know where I got it or how I did it.

I've been doing this for over 30 years now. I started in the 80's with the old Kenner diecast Falcons, and since the 90's, until recently, I had been doing it with the diecast Falcons from the toy company Galoob, makers of MicroMachines back in the day. Here's the very first Galoob I ever did, having been moved from car to car to car over the years, currently enjoy its golden years permanently attached to my Meyers Manx...

Unfortunately, Galoob ceased to exist some years ago, and getting ahold of these Falcons became a bit expensive. Thankfully, Mattel began making their own version a few years ago through their Hot Wheels brand. Very cheap at $4 or $5 each, I have gathered a bit of a horde of them, and hopefully have enough to see me out for all the vehicles for the rest of time.

As you can see, the Hot Wheels version is lacking in terms of painted details, the nature of a mass produced, inexpensive toy. I took a week and fully detailed the one for the Spider, marking each of the panel gaps, the correct painted hull panels, rust and soot where appropriate, and 12 (twelve) coats of matte clear coat to protect it.

I ground the bottom flat, and epoxied the ship to a coin case, for collector grade silver dollars, which I had epoxied solid and painted. Initially I was going to mount it to the rear bumper, next to the license plate. But, the more I looked at the car, the more I felt this would detract from the elegance of the car too much. I was quite torn. I didn't want to lose this lifelong tradition, and nor did I want to change the level of class I was trying to create in the rear of the car.

I was pondering the rear of the car, in my pondering chair in the garage, planning the 124Spider badge move, when it came to me... the wind deflector.

Now, the rear of the car remains clean, and elegant, and the Falcon is visible, but hidden in plain sight, exactly how I like it. On my drive today, I caught a couple teens in a clapped out Chevy Cobalt, taking a picture of the back of the car, and judging by the huge smiles and the thumbs up, and the Star Wars stickers in their back window, they had spotted the Falcon.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
<edited for brevity>

Being a life-long Star Wars geek, I've had a tradition since the first moment I had my driver's license. I like to reference the scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Han Solo and Princess Leia hide from the Empire by hitching a ride on the back of a Star Destroyer by hiding a small Millennium Falcon on the back of all my cars, trucks, motorcycles and even boats. I can't tell you how many times I've had people literally freak out when they see it, want to know where I got it or how I did it.
Then you really want this as well... perhaps a bit large to glue on your car, but I suspect you'd find it entertaining to work on while we're all doing the self isolation thing.
Millennium Falcon™ 75192 | Star Wars™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop CA

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks good @Bob T

one suggestion and its a cheap modification too. Paint the turbo bracket (Metal triangular bracket on top of the blanket) It makes the engine bay look better. especially since its a lower grade of metal it tends to rust and discolor. A few of us have painted it black, some red. I used a brake caliper/drum rattle can paint. ( i had it left over from other projects) It has held up really well.

aloha mike
A really good idea...but the engine paint I have takes days to cure....so that was out, at least until winter.
But a little checking tells me this a $23 part through the dealer. With a spare I could let it cure completely.
Other thoughts.......maybe powder coat? What does it cost to have a small part done? Hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
@Bob T the brake drum paint cures in an oven for a few hours...low temp (200 I think) and no smell. much faster and cheaper. Powder coating is great...but the labor is expensive.

aloha mike

·
Registered
177 Posts
Then you really want this as well... perhaps a bit large to glue on your car, but I suspect you'd find it entertaining to work on while we're all doing the self isolation thing.
Millennium Falcon™ 75192 | Star Wars™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop CA
I tend to stay away from the Lego stuff... I prefer more detailed and accurate models from Japan...

To get back on topic...

I gathered the necessary materials to attempt to fix my fumbduckery in removing the adhesive from under the 124spider badge when I moved it... and I have changed my brand of microfiber cloth too. Took me a minute to get this image, finally had to point a super bright LED at it indoors at just the right angle to bring it out this clearly. In reality, most people would never have noticed, but once I caught it in the sun yesterday, I could never unsee it. I must have used too much pressure, and was using the adhesive itself that the cloth picked up to take the adhesive off the car. Lesson learned. After some research, I have some hope that the Maquire's Scratch X2.0 will take that clear burn down quite a bit...

2521 - 2540 of 2569 Posts