Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3032 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Brillante is the basic white.

I'm sure @Brexit ! would appreciate a list. At your convenience, of course.

Swift Springs on Bilsteins, Eibach swaybars and Konig Dekagram 16x8 with 225/45r16 Toyo R1R
Brembo brakes with Ferodo DS2500 pads, Miataspeed 2 piece slotted rotors with SS lines
Hard Dog roll bar and Paco lowering rails on Recaro seats
GWR full cat-back exhaust non resonated
Tork tune and FMIC, GFB DV+, PTP turbo blanket, EC oil catch can and Madness coils

Then a few odds and ends not even thinking about.

Looking at a ported turbo which will most likely be shortly followed with an Ohlins suspension.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Drove her this morning on the unlimited section of the A27 here... Was "plodding" along at 130 mph (210 kph) and then floored it again... The Vmax of 217 kph (papers) was easily reached. Followed by the tachometer leaning hard towards 240 kph (end of scale on a Lusso model). It felt quite nervous, compared to my Jaguar XJ-S V12. But also very stressed... That little 1.4l Multiair likes to make power but it isn't happy when in the higher rpms!

Reactions: jetlag

·
Registered
954 Posts
At that speed the speedo over reads by about 10kph.....but that's still impressive! I'd be very surprised if you were touching 150mph from less than 200hp though.

Wish I lived in Germany....lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didn't mention: by GPS measured via phone... The tach is off by about 4 kph... At the moment :)

Reactions: GuidoVeloce

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm pretty shocked. Are you running stock? Nearly 150mph seems fast for 150ish hp as the EUs are....wow!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Stock apart for lowering springs (drag coefficient dropped), stubby and GFB DV+. Also Automatic tranny, so longer gearing compared to the manuals...

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
954 Posts
The 184hp mx5 manages 240 max, I reckon you are making a decent amount more than 140hp!!

Nice one

·
Registered
242 Posts
At that speed the speedo over reads by about 10kph.....but that's still impressive! I'd be very surprised if you were touching 150mph from less than 200hp though.

Wish I lived in Germany....lol
I have done, 145mph but that is with v4, magnaflow cat back and GFB DV+ on stock tune, so it's remarkable what this engine does.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow. Way above factory figures. Interesting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 184hp mx5 manages 240 max, I reckon you are making a decent amount more than 140hp!!

Nice one

Technically, the HP figure only is a fraction of all the required stuff for speed... My old 1997 Jaguar XJ8 with 237 hp would struggle to get over 220 kph. And that wasn't a super heavy vehicle for it's size (1.8t, well serviced). In that case, the tires were a good bit wider (255/45 R17), very soft compound and the transmission (automatic) was dated. So it lost quite a few ponies between flywheel and rear wheel. Torque was also way above that of the Spider.

My 1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 has around 295 hp (on paper, more like 330 hp) and weights 1.7t, has a rather bad cW and only 3 speeds. It will easily outrun the Spider in Vmax but will take a while to get there.

In my opinion, the Spider has a good gear ratio. The wheels aren't too heavy. The tires aren't too wide. The weight is low, but that isn't a real issue at speed, just when slowing down from speed, you can tell the difference between 1.8t and 1.05t... ;) The cW is a lot lower and as the car is quite low to the ground (lower), it allows for a better airflow.

Open, the Spider has it's struggle gettin past 200 kph. But that is obvious due to a high turbulence and instantly dropped drag coefficient.

140 hp (which are more likely around 155 hp, as most dynoed 140 hp models had that) can be enough :)

Reactions: GuidoVeloce

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't gotten close to redline, but do our Spiders display the 3-4 or 4-5 like this mx-5.
Yes they do. If you ease off, it will also tell you to change gear if you are in a too higher, unneeded rev-range.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes they do. If you ease off, it will also tell you to change gear if you are in a too higher, unneeded rev-range.
Awesome. I'll have to try it someday. (You see officer, I was just checking if a shift indicator was functioning on my car.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh...Pricey....But was it worth it?
And the web site says wire splicing involved. Was that a big deal?
Because yes, the Bose system disappoints every day.
Pretty easy install due to the great instructions (you can view them on the website). The wires spicing is just cutting into the speaker wires under the plastic door sill. I'm loving the sound. Now if only there was an "easy" way to get Apple CarPlay on a late 2018 Spider.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome. I'll have to try it someday. (You see officer, I was just checking if a shift indicator was functioning on my car.)
It works at any speed in any gear mate ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
No mods today, just fun...

Today was a good day. I drove the Spider to work because I felt the need for (reasonable) speed on the way home after what was to be a grueling day.

The boss has a slightly hopped up (400 HP) 1996 Camaro SS (a solid 13.0/110 MPH car at the dragstrip) and I jokingly quipped that the little EC Phase 1 Spider could probably give him a run for his money in the twisties.

He told me I didn’t stand a chance.

So off we went with a few caveats in mind: No 10/10ths driving. Spirited, yes. Wreckless, no. He would lead since I didn’t know the local roads. He is a good driver and promised to put up a good challenge for the Spider. (And yes, I know it’s much easier to follow that it is to lead, but he had knowledge of the roads whereas I did not.) It was my job to “just keep up if I could.” PS - I could.

I can say this: a Phase 1 tuned Abarth Spider is NO MATCH for an LT1 that’s mildly souped up, at least on a long pull, but hard off a corner and on a short run to about 80 MPH or so, that Camaro was going NOWHERE. And a solid axle suspension car has nothing on a stock-suspensioned Abarth on anything but perfectly smooth pavement.

We had a bit of fun for about 30 minutes, with him inching ahead on the straights and me reeling him right back in on the curves. Like a little badger, I would dart around on his rear end “threatening” to pass. Where he had to navigate around rough pavement, the Abarth took it in smooth stride, and that little turbo’d engine mid-range pull with Phase 1 tuning is deceptively strong. He only THOUGHT he could pull me off a low-speed corner, but since I had so much speed going in, that just wasn’t going to happen.

It was a fun little run and we were both really surprised that the Fiat could easily nip at the heels of the muscle car. On the highway ride back to camp, he spared me the trouncing of a high-speed run. Maybe he was in shock, I dunno. Nobody went to jail and we kept our heads about us out on the back country roads. Nothing dangerous, but keen attention on smooth power and keeping the cars balanced. I had NO IDEA this little car could do so well in this environment. I have always just played alone without another driver to push me.

I drove home with the cruise set at the speed limit…. just waiting for an unsuspecting Ferrari… LOL.

Arrived home and parked her in her protected garage space but she’s got lots of bugs in her teeth now. Will remedy that soon.

·
Registered
954 Posts
@CustomDeluxe sounds like a good day!

Always amazes me just how primitive suspension setups are even on recently modern domestic americam cars. Live axles etc being used until quite recently. I get why, but you saw the effect that wishbones/multilink have even on something half the power !

The only play I've had was with a focus st (250hp but 1500kg) down a B road. Surprisingly very close given how well setup those chassis are. The spider is quite surprising!

3001 - 3020 of 3032 Posts