Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

3081 - 3100 of 3123 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
The only country my Spider is likely to visit is Canada.

we took advantage of Switzerland’s excellent trains when we visited.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Finally put the Abarth emblem on the steering wheel...The 56mm one from Wish, which took a long time to get here.
Been sitting on the bench for a couple months, as I didn't initially like the equality. But I tried it yesterday, and I am pretty happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Finally put the Abarth emblem on the steering wheel...The 56mm one from Wish, which took a long time to get here.
Been sitting on the bench for a couple months, as I didn't initially like the equality. But I tried it yesterday, and I am pretty happy with the results.

Can't believe you guys didn't have that fitted "ALL" Abarths had it in UK ! (what cost to Fiat ? )
Here's my 1949 crest.....Cheers
ron IMG_0002.JPG

Reactions: Bob T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Removed taillight trims. Not sure if there is any going back because I broke one of them prying it off. One thing for sure now is that everyone behind me will see me signaling to turn.

·
Registered
2016, Fiat 124 Spider, Lusso Trim
60 Posts
Interesring on the legality. Have heard of UK people getting cars taken off for what the germans deem to be mods that wouldn't fall under their TUV. Few things recently actually.
The TÜV is so strict here, technically, I haven't yet had my lowering springs logged yet, so the result is it is technically not legal, even though I have all the paperwork. I just haven't had time to go there lately. But there are also special forces... More below...

Enjoy and be safe. I look forward to reading about your trip. Maybe some pictures?

How many people here have exchanged their exhausts for trips? I can look anyone who asks in the eye and tell them I have a factory exhaust system. Whether that will be persuasive, I have no idea.
I most certainly will be taking some pics along the way. My SD cards are empty, fish eye and normal lenses are already ready. 3 batteries. Should be enough ;)

A few people I know actually do the same. Sometimes an exhaust is awesome for daily driving, but then is too loud for a proper roadtrip. I personally love the sound of my exhaust but it would get on my nerves a little after a 7 hour drive, knowing another 12 hours are required to drive home again ;) Luckily it is only 2 screws, two hangers and the new pipe is removed. I also bought a few exhaust gaskets just thinking it might be clever. You never know :D

It matters not what you tell them in places like Germany and Switzerland.. if the police deem it too low/loud etc they can take.it off you and check.. a few things on facebook recently. Although some of those guys were running ridiculous ride heights etc.
Yep, as said, special forces. The police have now, in certain towns and cities, formed a kind of "special task force" called "SOKO Tuning" or so, where as they will pull over ANY tuned car and give it a "once over" with all paper work etc. Should they say the car isn't exactly according to the paperwork (i.e. exhaust being louder than officially logged or the spacers are not the correct width etc.), the car is momentarily cinfiscated and can - should the next mandated TÜV appointment (the next day/week) confirm it isn't road legal - deregistered and fines will come flying in.

My old Jaguar XJ8 had a completely gutted exhaust (see video below). The 3.2l V8 had originally 5 exhaust mufflers (one center, two infront of the rear axle, two behind the rear axle). I removed 3 of 5 and had the sound below...

...I was fined €50 because my tailpipes stuck out too far (about 1 cm over the edge of the bumper).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Removed taillight trims. Not sure if there is any going back because I broke one of them prying it off. One thing for sure now is that everyone behind me will see me signaling to turn. View attachment 78133 View attachment 78134
Are they screwed in from inside the trunk or how did you get them off? I've been wanting to change mine to red for a longer time...

·
Registered
953 Posts
My old Jaguar XJ8 had a completely gutted exhaust (see video below). The 3.2l V8 had originally 5 exhaust mufflers (one center, two infront of the rear axle, two behind the rear axle). I removed 3 of 5 and had the sound below...
My neighbor's 2000 4.0L XK8 is so quiet that it reminds me of my father's MK VII. Recent Jaguars sound more aggresive.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I went for a little post-chore joyride. Our driveway is being seal-coated tomorrow, and my Spider will be trapped in the garage for a couple of days.

A Slingshot pulled in behind me and followed for about a mile. He came alongside at a red light and shouted "I like the way your car sounds". I only had time to reply "thanks" before the light turned green, and I gave him in another sample.

A few minutes later I was driving down a local tree-canopied street when a local patrol car pulled out from a cross street with lights blazing and siren screaming. I pulled over, hoping he would pass, and he did. Duty called elsewhere.

My Spider is now relaxing. I kind of like the sound it makes when the engine is shut off. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's different than any of our other cars (two of which are 2.0L DI turbos).

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a dilemma. It's a beautiful day here, ideal Spider top-down weather, and I have a doctor's appointment. The last time I drove my spider to an appointment, the office's forehead thermometer measured me just over its COVID threshold. I really want to drive the Spider, and I really want to have the top down. Hopefully closing the top and running the air conditioning while I wait for the call to come inside (the protocol adopted by most medical offices as a result of the virus crisis) will allow enough cool-down time.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I have a dilemma. It's a beautiful day here, ideal Spider top-down weather, and I have a doctor's appointment. The last time I drove my spider to an appointment, the office's forehead thermometer measured me just over its COVID threshold. I really want to drive the Spider, and I really want to have the top down. Hopefully closing the top and running the air conditioning while I wait for the call to come inside (the protocol adopted by most medical offices as a result of the virus crisis) will allow enough cool-down time.
Where's your "Vietnam" cap ?......Ice bucket, cool bag, No shade to hide anywhere at the Doc's ? Got a Gazebo ? Come on Chipshot lad, even if you have to don overalls and hide under someone's 4 x 4. Mind you if they drive away, the Doc's may not be enough for you then......Hope all is well for your appointment, take the Spider, it will help ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
953 Posts
I wore my “124 Spider” cap. The drive home with dilated pupils was fun. See the doc again in a year.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I wore my “124 Spider” cap. The drive home with dilated pupils was fun. See the doc again in a year.
Ahh, Not allowed by law to drive following those droplets in the UK.the light alone is sooo disturbing, it must have been a fun drive indeed.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Roadtrip is over... Wow... What a drive and so much to see. I'll probably do a separate post...

5 days, 2500 km, most of which (about 1800 km) were done on the Autobahns. Achieved a fuel economy of 7.0l/100 km at 130 kph (33.6 US mpg/40.35 UK mpg). We tanked up 5 times - so roughly 500 km per tankfill. Most fuel was used around Füssen and Bad Schandau.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Roadtrip is over... Wow... What a drive and so much to see. I'll probably do a separate post...

5 days, 2500 km, most of which (about 1800 km) were done on the Autobahns. Achieved a fuel economy of 7.0l/100 km at 130 kph (33.6 US mpg/40.35 UK mpg). We tanked up 5 times - so roughly 500 km per tankfill. Most fuel was used around Füssen and Bad Schandau.
I'm looking forward to reading your trip report (or whatever you'd care to call it).

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sounds awesome. We are off next week to do 1000 miles and the north coast 500 of Scotland. I am estimating maybe 30mpg (UK) given the windy roads, hills and the fact I will be on it at every opportunity !

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tinted the windows, and installed smoked front and rear side markers. Fit and finish are great - all plug and play. Also saw that my Flyin Miata springs are out for delivery!

Reactions: preisman

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm looking forward to reading your trip report (or whatever you'd care to call it).
Hard to believe, but I took only ONE picture of my car while out :D Most were from behind the wheel or better passenger seat (shared driving).

But very scenic trip! :)

3081 - 3100 of 3123 Posts