Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 3221 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes, this will be my "first".

I hate effing with my phone when I drive.

I am hoping that when I and my wife go to a restaurant or some other place I can enter the address, and she can mess with her phone as she usually does.

As far as updates, we occasionally still use our ten plus year old Garmin that has never been updated. Not a big concern of mine.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You'll find the sat nav much easier than using your phone for identifying and calling restaurants, shops, fuel stations etc local to you, on your route or at your final destination. Thats another reason to ensure you keep the maps updated..... the links to the business phone database will be updated too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unfortunately, combine the last map update over a year ago and COVID, and the POI database is woefully outdated.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I put the stock shift knob back on....Don't like it much, but haven't found a better one yet.

Should have kept my Nardi knob from the '94 NA....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I hate effing with my phone when I drive.
Carplay and Siri for the win. Phone gets plugged in to the USB port and I don't touch it after that. Data is always as up to date as its going to get, and setting a location via Siri is way less hassle than typing on the touchscreen. She even understands my Scottish accent (certainly way more than the OEM voice recognition).

ME: "Navigate to 123 Main Street, Trumpton, Colorado"
SIRI: "Sure - navigating to 123 Main Street, Trumpton, Colorado"
OEM Voice Recognition: "Playing album Kidz Bop 2020" o_O

Reactions: GuidoVeloce

·
Registered
296 Posts
Los Angeles is going to be a microwave oven this weekend. I am going to get my front tints redone on Saturday as there are some scratches on the inside. With the weather it should be set pretty quickly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
She even understands my Scottish accent (certainly way more than the OEM voice recognition).
At least Siri doesn't reply with "A dinna ken what ye efter!"

Reactions: GuidoVeloce

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
409 Posts
Installed my DV+ today. Easy as pie. Pro Tip: I used a small butter knife to pry off the delicate plastic ring around the stock plunger assembly. The large blade area of the knife put less pressure on any one point when prying, and so the thing came out intact. When my wife found out what I was using as a shop tool, she was less than impressed. I believe her exact words were: "I hope you enjoy motor oil on your next piece of toast!" :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used the Ashero Trim (Amazon.com: Car Interior Trim Strip Ashero 3D DIY Automobile Motor Exterior Decoration Moulding Trim Strip Line - 5meters (Red): Automotive) - It took a while to get the fit right, especially on the lower door, and to be honest, I wasn't very happy with the smoothness of the line it made once installed. I had to fiddle with it after taking those pictures to get the line straight. I cut the rubber off the back of the trim at the back of the door panels to make the trim curve around completely to the door frame. It took patience, but I think it came out okay. I'll play with it some more as the garage cools down for the evening. The red is really not a perfect match, but oh well.

·
Registered
2019 Abarth
24 Posts
Thank you for the informative reply. It looks like the color you used was the metallic, which I used and felt it was a tad to much for me. Was hoping you had used the other red, though it was a matte color, it appears to bright. Picky bastard, I know. Part of the enjoyment of making her ours!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Rainy day today, so....ordered the nav sd card. New, for 28.88. What a bargain. Includes 3 years of updates, but not holding my breath.

I know it's not the best system, but last fall took a road trip up north and lost phone data service for the ios nav. Plus, I may have to drive to Florida for a family thing so could be a good distraction playing around with it. I plan to take the back roads.
Came in the mail today. Installation took a whole 5 seconds. Looking good. Best 30 bucks I spent.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Side note. They have 2019, 2018, and 2017 cards for sale. All are compatible with all model years. I got the 2019, assuming it is the latest updated maps, but not really sure.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
409 Posts
Side note. They have 2019, 2018, and 2017 cards for sale. All are compatible with all model years. I got the 2019, assuming it is the latest updated maps, but not really sure.
You can check whether your maps are the latest using Fiat Connect. You can download the Windows or Mac program to check and update your map card.

Reactions: fiatmidway124

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Clássica
7 Posts
It’s been a busy couple of days! Yesterday, I gave my baby a bath, and cleaned her wheels. After I dried her off, I applied the Mother’s 3-step wax system! Arms were jello after a full afternoon of wax on, wax off; especially since I spent the previous day detailing and changing the oil on my cruiser, a 96 Yamaha Virago 1100 to get her ready to sell bc I’m moving to Sarasota in 3 weeks.

Today, I completely detailed the interior, to the point of using a microfiber cloth and the tip of a wooden skewer to get into all the little nooks and crannies of the dash and center console. I vacuumed and wiped down the leather diamond stitching floor liners and thoroughly cleaned the seats.

Once I finished cleaning the interior, I cleaned the trunk. Then I wiped down the entire engine bay. After cleaning, I was able to get around to a task that I’ve been meaning to take care of for a couple of weeks: installing the Madness MAXpower Pro ECM!! I had to grab the jack out of my wife’s Civic to jack the car up to get underneath it. I was able to get to the Boost Pressure Sensor without having to take off the wheel which was nice. The other two sensors were easy to access, manifold air pressure sensor and the wastegate sensor. When it came to connecting to the power supply, I found out my socket kit doesn’t have a 10mm socket, and I didn’t have a wrench small enough to get in there and undo the nut so I had to go to the store to pick up a 10mm deep socket and was able to finish the job.
Went out for a short 15 mile cruise and noticed a small difference in the turbo spooling sooner and faster accelerations. Going on a longer drive tomorrow to cover the recommended 80 miles for the ECM and ECU to get fully acclimated with one another. Sorry for the long winded post.

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
Nope, no name. I don't want to get too attached to this specific car since I am only keeping it for a few months. I plan to get an Abarth later this year

Sure, my son in law took it to an empty parking garage and took some photos, they are here: EUROCOMPULSION / NEWS & MEDIA

Greg
You certainly made it special for the next owner!
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
337 Posts
Black and Red F1 Diamond Floor Mats from CarbonMiata Installed
I think it gives the interior an upgraded look. Took no more than 30 minutes to tuck everything into place. Used double sided carpet tape along the edges to keep them from getting pulled out from under the trim. Absolutely perfect fit. No triming or folding, just slide then around a little and they all but pop into place

As far as durability goes, no way to tell as they are all of two days old, and to be honest, don't plan to expose them to harsh conditions as the car is my fair weather friend.
I did look at the reviews for diamond mats on trustpilot.com and the consensus seems to be buy quality mats and you should be ok. These also have great reviews on the Miata forums. Just guessing, but it seems they would be very easy to just wipe down. If exposed to water or mud my only concern would be how color fast the stitching is, as in will it fade or easily discolor. Hopefully these won't be exposed to any of that.

Forgive the double post, somehow I posted this in 'parts for sale'. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Came in the mail today. Installation took a whole 5 seconds. Looking good. Best 30 bucks I spent.
First real drive. The nav works great. A cool feature I like is while on the radio screen, at the very top is notification of the name of the next cross street.

I generally know where I'm going, but sometimes while driving spiritedly I occasionally miss my turn since I'm in the wrong lane.

3161 - 3180 of 3221 Posts