Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 3320 Posts

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
518 Posts
It's been 3 weeks so my computer reminded me that it was time to start and run the Spider. Yesterday was clear and dry but only about 18f so I opened the garage and fired it up in place. So nice to hear that RM growl. Also discovered that one of my key fobs was getting a low battery (no yellow key symbol however button would only flash green and on trying to start got no love happening) but all was well when I used my alternate fob. Getting new batteries today.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the help of a mate, we fitted the Brembo brakes today that I picked up yesterday. They do fit perfectly in the Punto Abarth Evo alloys I’m running. I know my standard Abarth wheels will fit as the Brembos came off an Abarth.
I saw the rear brakes are same but I swapped them anyway as the ones that came with the Brembos are red :)

Just before we started I requested my EC phase 1 tune and by time I cleaned my hands after doing brakes the phase 1 was waiting for me. I’ve run it in on the car and it’s ready to go but I’m knackered and mrs got Chinese so thats it for today. Too dark to even take any decent pictures.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did this:

Reactions: Disfo and Believer

·
Registered
34 Posts
The batteries in both key fobs went dead. I had to start Sophia with the alternative method describe in the owners manual. My only problem was that the alarm started screaming when I unlocked the car with the manual key. If you have to do this, hold the fob to the start button until the car fully starts properly. The first time the starter motor ran but the engine did not start. The second time she fired up normally. I drove straight to the hardware store to get batteries. I tried to lock up using the manual key when I went into the store. The alarm wailed when I unlocked again. When I got home, I found that spare fob was dead too. I checked the fobs on all my cars and found that the spare fob for my wife's Ford Fusion was dead too. My Mercedes and the Ford tell you if the fob battery is low. The Fiat manual says that the green key lamp flashes to warn if a low key fob. I did not notice that.

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
30 Posts
........And so it begins: Red ignition button, "Abarth" warning light cover and rubber floor mats appropriate for a "spider".
stickshift.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
32 Posts

Since covid makes waiting for a service impossible, Ghost convoyed to drop my ST off...

My Viking Contact 7s made short work of it... Our cars really are quite good in foul weather with proper shoes.

Reactions: NE_Fiat

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
439 Posts
Now that the winter storm has moved out of Texas more parts for my upgrade project have started to trickle in.
Coil-overs came a few day ago, sway bars, adjustable end links, and door bushings arrived today.
I'm just waiting for a few more parts to arrive before I crawl under the car for a day or two.

As most of the parts are red I'm expecting even greater performance than if they were green, blue, grey or some other slow color.
For a gear head, peeking under a car and seeing red aftermarket performance parts is like the thrill a teenage boy gets when he glimpses a pair of red panties.

·
Registered
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
30 Posts
Red should be good for a least 0.15 seconds in the quarter mile.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Decided to take it in to get whatever is causing the noise fixed. You know the noise.
Sounds like the exhaust hitting the chassis despite tips seeming solidly positioned.
I know it’s nothing to do with hubs or carriers or springs or shocks or sway bars links because none of those compononents can possibly make that resonant reverberating, drum like noise. It’s not a clunk, clonk or a click or tap or crack or anything that sounds like thick heavy metal parts, it’s sounds like hitting an metal oil can with a mallet. “BOINKkk” is about best approximation.

It happens only when accelerating over a bump or dip in the road. Doesn’t need to be a sharp bump or deep hole either. Acceleration only needs to be normal calm driving too. Nothing drastic required to make it happen.
I believe it can only be the exhaust hitting somewhere.
I will update with their findings.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
well today went to start her up after 7 weeks to no surprise she was awake. I tried to install the Aluminun battery fastener bu notice the holes are off by 3/16.
so I enlarged them. Will install in in early April along with Dynamic front fender turning light and do a tire rotation.
Hey I am 71 I need to rest can t do it all. LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Decided to take Sophia up the Coast Highway from Laguna Beach to American Legion Post 291 on the peninsula in Newport Beach for breakfast. Just ahead of my car was another red 124 Spider. It turned ahead of me into the AL291 parking lot. I parked right next to the clone.

This is an exceedingly rare event. 124's are rare in Southern California. You are more likely to see a predecessor 124 Spider from the '60s or 70' than a new version of the Spider.

Today, on my drive, I saw two McClarens, three Ferraris and a couple of Bentleys. BMWs, Teslas, Porsches, Benzes, Range Rovers and Audis are so commonplace that you don't take note of them except when the Tesla drivers do something stupid. Lamborghinis are fairly common, too. My dear departed Dad used to refer to my Mercedes as a Newport Ford. I also saw a new Land Rover Defender and a new Ford Bronco. I imagine those will become common too.

This morning I also took Sophia to get my second COVID vaccination stick at Soka University. My first shot was in their gymnasium. Today, it was a drive through. A man in the lane next to me, in a big fat Audi, I think is was an A8 but who cares - ordinary - rolled his window down and pulled down his mask. He asked me what kind of car I was in. 124's are rare here. So I guess they would be characterized as "exotic."

PS: The above photo was taken with my Leica M10-R and a 50mm Summicron-M f/2 lens. The lens was made in the 60's and was attached to my Dad's Leica M3. The old lens seems to work better on the M10 than my newer Summicron used on my M6.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
478 Posts
Had Pearl out for a post-freeze therapy drive here in TX, now that my home has power and water restored, and it was sunny and 70 degrees out. Stopped at a red light in west Temple on FM2305 headed west. Also stopped was a red Abarth headed east. I waved, but he was top up so I couldn’t tell if he waved back. It was the first Spider I’d seen in the wild in a couple of years, other than at an event. Good omen, IMO. The Spiders are out again in TX.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
211 Posts
I love your door cards - I really want to do this. I'd prefer to have them fitted professionally, but I doubt the guy would do the exchange across the pond. Likely easier to have them covered locally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah. Great looking car......

3301 - 3320 of 3320 Posts