Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
4061 - 4080 of 4314 Posts

·
Registered
Still to arrive!
7 Posts
Hi Dave, can I be cheeky and ask where you acquired the hard-top from? Is it an official Abarth part and if so, did you pay full whack? 😅
Hi LondonAbarth124, It is the official Abarth part, but fortunately I didn't pay full whack. The dealer I am buying the car from offered me a good price on the hardtop as I was buying the car from them.

Although I am not certain, it may have been the last one in stock in the UK, as the Mopar store now shows the part as out of stock, while a couple of weeks ago it showed them as in stock.

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue
320 Posts
Took my Abarth to Soho today (I was late for a haircut, and travelling by car is faster than by public transport) and arrived via Piccadilly Circus - great little drive, very lucky to live in such an awesome city. 😅

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Took my Abarth to Soho today (I was late for a haircut, and travelling by car is faster than by public transport) and arrived via Piccadilly Circus - great little drive, very lucky to live in such an awesome city. 😅

View attachment 90164
Rain. Must be England. It is rather quirky that Brits have a natural affinity to convertibles in such conditions. Or just convertibles in any conditions, really. Definitely ‘must be a Brit thing’.

·
Premium Member
2020 Fiat 124 Abarth, manual, Chiaro Silver, visability, navigation, convenience packages, brembos
214 Posts
Lucky man.....Yank here you spent a lifetime in the shadow of NYC but had an opportunity to live in London for 6 months.....prefer London......why? Has everything NYC does but is cleaner, better food, better music scene, more history, slightly cheaper and superior infrastructure (subway/tube, sanitation, etc). Weather's a bit worse but can't have everything.

·
Registered
780 Posts

View attachment 90164
You are a braver man than me, driving in London, I get the ‘willies’ in large cities these days.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Whilst I don't mind driving in London (as a poor impoverished student I once had a job delivering video equipment all over London and I had a paper A to Z map on which all the one way streets were colour coded by direction, brilliant!) I do get paranoid about the various LEZ (low emission zone), CC (congestion charge) and ULEZ (ultra LEZ) charges, when driving various cars that we have.

Whilst you can check if charges apply or not in theory, you still have to know whether you have strayed into the charging areas or not, and then pay promptly to avoid a penalty charge. TfL (Transport for London) are quite happy for people to pay charges even if none are due, which seems unfair to me.

For me it's a bit like knowing that you've driven past a speed camera, but not knowing if you've been caught speeding or not, and volunteering to pay a fine and adding 3 penalty points on your licence.

Of course one solution is to buy a ULEZ compliant car, which the 124 Spider is, but £15 per day CC still has to be paid, applicable 07:00-22:00, every day, except Christmas Day (25 December) and the period up to and including New Year’s Day Bank Holiday.

Whilst my haircuts normally cost £15, I guess yours worked out to be double that @LondonAbarth124 (I hope the parking was free?)

Reactions: Walshy6677

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I’d be a little careful about over generalizing 😂 😂 😂
It’s not an over generalization - it’s quite true. It rains a lot (you don’t get green rolling hills from a can of spray paint) and the Brit’s practically invented the (modern) convertible, or even cars without a top! Indeed, any roadster style foreign convertible (since the uk car industry doesn’t exist any more) is very reminiscent of the classic English roadster.

and yes, the Americans love pickup trucks, or SUVs (some would say ‘full size’ but it’s the normal size). Gotta put all those lights and real tires somewhere!

Why not have both? Now where was that off-road mudplugging Miata…

·
Registered
780 Posts
It’s not an over generalization - it’s quite true. It rains a lot (you don’t get green rolling hills from a can of spray paint) and the Brit’s practically invented the (modern) convertible, or even cars without a top! Indeed, any roadster style foreign convertible (since the uk car industry doesn’t exist any more) is very reminiscent of the classic English roadster.

and yes, the Americans love pickup trucks, or SUVs (some would say ‘full size’ but it’s the normal size). Gotta put all those lights and real tires somewhere!

:
As I said, beware of over-generalizing 😂
Rectangle Font Line Screenshot Sky

:rolleyes:
Organism Gesture Font Electric blue Technology

·
Registered
320 Posts
😂 😂 😂
I can confirm two things:

The weather on New Year's Eve and Day, certainly in London, was the mildest it has ever been.

In addition, today, it was 10°C with clear blue skies. No rain in sight, in fact, I had the roof down!* ;)

*Driving through Dulwich Village a boy screamed and pointed "Ferrari, Ferrari!" as I drove past. I wish! :cry:

·
Registered
320 Posts
:
As I said, beware of over-generalizing...
Do we not also have some of the most famous marques here? McLaren, Aston Martin, Caterham, BAC, Lotus, Ariel and so on, and so forth! Oh, what about the Formula 1 teams? If I remember correctly, we have quite a few of those too.

(Keep digging, I dare you). :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Whilst I don't mind driving in London (as a poor impoverished student I once had a job delivering video equipment all over London and I had a paper A to Z map on which all the one way streets were colour coded by direction, brilliant!) I do get paranoid about the various LEZ (low emission zone), CC (congestion charge) and ULEZ (ultra LEZ) charges, when driving various cars that we have.

Whilst you can check if charges apply or not in theory, you still have to know whether you have strayed into the charging areas or not, and then pay promptly to avoid a penalty charge. TfL (Transport for London) are quite happy for people to pay charges even if none are due, which seems unfair to me.

For me it's a bit like knowing that you've driven past a speed camera, but not knowing if you've been caught speeding or not, and volunteering to pay a fine and adding 3 penalty points on your licence.

Of course one solution is to buy a ULEZ compliant car, which the 124 Spider is, but £15 per day CC still has to be paid, applicable 07:00-22:00, every day, except Christmas Day (25 December) and the period up to and including New Year’s Day Bank Holiday.

Whilst my haircuts normally cost £15, I guess yours worked out to be double that @LondonAbarth124 (I hope the parking was free?)
I live in Zone 2/3 which, from my experiences, more difficult to drive within than in Zone 1 (i.e, the most central part of London). Unfortunately, on this occasion, parking was a steep £11.95 for 1 hour and the Congestion Charge was £15. If you think that's bad, there's a Gulf petrol station near Chelsea which charges over £2 per litre of regular unleaded fuel. Given I live in London, I don't tend to bat an eyelid - I'm aware of red routes, motor vehicle prohibitions, average speed check zones in tunnel et cetera. It's mopeds, cyclists and Uber drivers that you need to watch out for!

Fun fact: My haircut actually costs £10 on the dot.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Rain. Must be England. It is rather quirky that Brits have a natural affinity to convertibles in such conditions. Or just convertibles in any conditions, really. Definitely ‘must be a Brit thing’.
I think it's a bit of a poor stereotype to suggest that it rains in Britain more so than anywhere else. Trust me, when we hear Yanks say that, we all collectively yawn. 😅😂

On a side note, I do use my convertible in all weathers - it is proudly not a garage queen. :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It's mopeds, cyclists and Uber drivers that you need to watch out for!

Fun fact: My haircut actually costs £10 on the dot.
£10 bargain, makes it all worthwhile!

And in fact from the New Year there are new rules in the UK "Highway Code" which mean that cars and lorries have to give way to cyclists and pedestrians, didn't help the motorcyclist just ahead of me today that was taken out by an idiot turning right knocking both bike and rider to the floor, with the rider in a bad way 😡

On a side note, I do use my convertible in all weathers - it is proudly not a garage queen.
The first (classic) Spider I had in the mid-to-late 1980s was also used in all weathers with the top down unless it was raining and I was driving under 40mph.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I think it's a bit of a poor stereotype to suggest that it rains in Britain more so than anywhere else. Trust me, when we hear Yanks say that, we all collectively yawn. 😅😂

On a side note, I do use my convertible in all weathers - it is proudly not a garage queen. :sneaky:
Because it rains so much, you don’t really have much choice but to use it in all weathers. While it may rain more in other places (Seattle is a decent comparable example) and statistically, the volume is less, the periods of rain are an extensive 30 to 50 percent. I guess some find that acceptable, or, more realistically, just see it as normal. Luckily, the spitfire I had back in the 90s had a hard top which made it more tolerable (that rear suspension, though…).

Of the few British car companies that remain, how many don’t have a convertible? Does Caterham make anything but? Something to be said for the British stiff upper lip; only mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun; keep calm and carry on. It’s an odd juxtaposition. My brother even bought a convertible Nissan which wasn’t even designed to be a convertible!

Ha! when I drive mine in to work, the quest I get asked is ‘was the top down?’ Which elicits the response ‘is it raining?’.

·
Banned
393 Posts

·
Banned
393 Posts
Got a stage1 tune at the go-to tuner for Abarth/Fiat/Alfa Romeo in The Netherlands, HS Corse. They also did a Selina oil change and installed NGK SIKR9A7 spark plugs.

With the stock run the Abarth only ran 151pk instead of ~170pk (euro numbers).
With the tune it ran 171pk. Somethings wrong!!

After thorough diagnostics it turned out the GFB DV+ was stuck open resulting in some pressure loss. They polished the bras piston and reassembled. Another run, 182pk and 298Nm.
They usually get 190-195pk out of the 124 but somehow I do get more Nm’s then normal.

Drive is awesome. Picks up so quick. Can’t wait to drive some more this weekend. Torque is what you feel so I am going to try this for a while.
Translate to horsepower if you could, So us old people don't have to go running to google or use our Alzheimers besotted brains to do simple mathematical conversions. It would be a great help to me.

4061 - 4080 of 4314 Posts