Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

What did you do to your Fiat 124 Spider today?

567K views 5K replies 423 participants last post by  IssaMe Abarth 
#1 ·
Share what you did today with the Fiat 124 Spider community!

Example: I took her out of the garage and gave her a nice bath and followed up with a coat of wax.

Example: Finally got my window tints done, now I can't open my windows for a week

Example: Taking advantage of the nice weather and going for a drive with the top down ;)

Anything goes!

#12 ·
The best part of the day was picking my 10 year old up from school with the top down. Her friends all said "your dad has a really small car"

Makes a old man smile.

PS... been running the 'stubby' for a while now, I like the reception very well. Ive recently switched to our version which follows the contours of the antenna base a little better. So far in the DFW area it works as well as the 'stubby'

#48 ·
The first thing I did was to also replace the very nice carpet mats with cocomats. They're the same as what I put in my first car, a '67 VW, and later in the Porsches I owned. Very nostalgic for me. As was mentioned, they are now rubber backed and have a rubber heel pad. I got the black/orange combination which almost matches the tan interior. Very cool.

Joe.Bronze metallico/tan Lusso

#18 ·
Today I let my dealer take back my UK Anniversary to correct the paintwork, hopefully removing all the unacceptable swirls and scratches in the Passione Red paint, I hope they do a good job or they might end up having to keep it and refund me the whole purchase price :(

#22 ·
I washed mine this morning. It has been to Houston and back and collected a lot of bugs. The Xpel film I had installed on the bumper made bug removal easy.

#23 ·
I fall into the category of pathetic owner. I have had the car for 2 weeks and driven it twice, a total 98 miles - until today!

I turned up at a 'classic car run' in South Wales (UK). The car now has a dateless numberplate and I was directed to the demonstration start area before I could explain it was 'new car' not an old classic.

The positive comments were fantastic - people loved the lines of the car - I was parked next to an early Maxda MX5 - and very few recognised it was a cousin. Lots of soft top cars - Triumphs, MGs, Jags, Morgans, early Mazdas and even a Corvette which is rare in this part of the UK.

On the run, it was heavy showers then a sunshine then heavy showers. I was the only car to go topless - slowed down in the worst of the downpours, fixed the roof. A few minutes later slowed again and dropped the roof - all without stopping!

I have owned a number of British calssic cars - 'Bug eyed' Sprite, MGB GT V8 but neither attracted the attention of the 124.

The run was 60 miles, returning 39.5 mpg ( UK gallons) including a dozen short blasts to 5k rpm.

More importantly it was the 'star of the show' - how cool is that!

#24 ·
We've been blessed with gorgeous weather so I've added about 600 miles in the last few days. But added a minor tweak....bought those Fiat seatbelt covers from Ebay. The little bit of red looks good. inside.

Reactions: NYProf
#25 ·
Brooklands Motorsport Day

Like Newod in the UK, I was also out today in my UK Anniversary Spider. I went to the Motorsport Day organised by AutoItalia magazine at Brooklands, the "birthplace of British motorsport and aviation" located in Weybridge, Surrey.

I was invited into the paddock area in front of the club house, reserved for special and unusual cars, and one month after being released in the UK, they are still a rare sight. It certainly attracted a lot of attention, questions, admiration, and surprise from many people. I also joined in with spirited parade lap or three around the Mercedes Benz World track next door, and the Spider handled very well, some body roll like I was expecting, but excellent grip and great fun, I did however go over the 3,000 rpm limit I have been generally been sticking to for the past month / 500 miles. One of the warning lights did come on a few times, I think it was the TCS/DSC warning light meaning that "the vehicle is in critical stability and grip conditions" - yes, that sounds about right! :laugh: Even the Sat Nav worked around the track...

Later on a black Abarth turned up briefly, looked very subtle and rather nice I have to say, but I didn't manage to catch up with the owner.

The following link is to a slideshow with a few pics from the day, plus there are quite a few of the White/Heritage Abarth at Brands Hatch in August which is the first time I had got to see the car in the metal... http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/pbDaveG/slideshow/124 Spider 2016

Reactions: JFernald and Newod
#26 ·
Sounds like a great event. The last time I went to Brooklands it was before the Merc centre was built. I had 2 runs up the test hill and parked on the old banking - car was a 1973 MGB GT V8 - it flew the hill!
Danny

#27 ·
I haven't taken mine out today. (it's still early in New Mexico.) I want to do a series of 0-60 runs before I install the EDL, just to set a baseline. This is not going to be a track car, just want a bit more oomph. I have already installed Xpel bra, stubby antennae, hood props, a V1 intake, a K&N filter and a GFB diverter. This week I got my custom fit cover from Good-Win Racing and a WeatherTech custom fit cargo liner. (It lines the lower well only, not the whole trunk.)

Thinking about a muffler delete or more aggressive exhaust restriction relief.

#31 ·
I want to do a series of 0-60 runs before I install the EDL, just to set a baseline.
Are you able do some roll on times whilst you're at it?

Considering that in my jurisdiction the Crown has the ability to confiscate my car and hand it over to the RMS for the purposes of "crash testing", street racing isn't on my radar, however the ability to overtake Grey Nomads certainly is!

#33 ·
Seems like it would have been easier to have gotten the 124 with the auto dimming mirrors already in place. They do work great on mine. (as do the remotes, although that was of less interest to me). Is the Miata mirror identical to the Fiat? You'd think the wiring would already be in place.

#37 ·
You may want to also change out the door mirror as well - that also helps a lot and was part of the package on my Lusso.