Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, spring is almost here
time to work on the car

so, does this stage I tune change the fuel and timing or is it also raising the boost?
now, i have an abarth but I have never pressed the little sport button in my life
I heard this button is actually an eco mode for better gas mileage, will this still work after the tune?

so the one thing is, I will never change the muffler on my abarth
I had planned a turbo upgrade but from looking at their dyno charts it seems I would have to do a stage II or III which would require that
so a regular tune and turbo would be a total waste of money in the future?

and lastly, if I need to retune, or SELL and move to a different car
are there high transfer fees?

thanks

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You own an Abarth and you've never pressed the Sport button? You're two months early for April Fools day, but you're joking, right?

If you were talking about phases of tune, you'd be discussing EC tuning, which I'd be glad to provide some insight on. Also likely a lot of posts here on the topic as well, and one of their folks is on here frequently and would be able to answer questions about it. But given you mention stages, I'm guessing you're referring to Tork tunes, which I need to defer to those who use them. EC lists a lot of the information regarding what's in their tune on their site. I expect Tork should do the same.

You say you'd never change the exhaust. Do you have the stock quad pipe on your Abarth, or the Record Monza? That's truly a case of different strokes for different folks. After owning a 500 Abarth, I found the stock quad exhaust on the Abarth Spider pretty wimpy by comparison (and one person's wimpy is another person's civilized), and that growly sound was something I missed. So the RM upgrade was a must have for me. Other folks prefer a queiter sound profile. Nothing wrong with that, it's your car, do what makes you feel good. No one else's opinion matters... you may have those who agree with you, and those who don't. Like tunes. Speaking of which...

I can tell you that with the EC tune, when you get it, you also have your stock tune loaded on the device so you can revert your vehicle to factory tune any time you need to.... for service, re-sale, etc. Loading your custom tune back on is just as easy. If you want a different tune (new one), that would be something you pay extra for. Since the tunes are based on the individual car, if you went to another vehicle, you'd have to recapture and submit the vehicle's unique base tuning to the vendor, so I can't imagine anyone doing this for free. You wouldn't need to buy the hardware component for doing the read and loads again, but you would need to pay for a new tune. Once again, this is all very clearly laid out on the EC site. I assume Tork provides something similar for info on their site.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You can do EC’s turbo upgrade and Phase 3 tune with the stock exhaust system.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Am I correct Sport needs to be engaged each time the car is started? I believe that's the case for newer Alfa Romeo Giulias (my 2017 stays in Dynamic if it was there when the engine was stopped). And what specifically does the mode change in manual-transmission Spiders?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Am I correct Sport needs to be engaged each time the car is started? I believe that's the case for newer Alfa Romeo Giulias (my 2017 stays in Dynamic if it was there when the engine was stopped). And what specifically does the mode change in manual-transmission Spiders?
Correct, mode defaults to standard when turning off, although I believe some people have contemplated a mod that engages it when starting.

I use sport mode exclusively as standard mode has, for me, serious throttle lag at low rpm. It compromises safety when quickly entering traffic or changing lanes. It may not suit my driving style so each to their own.

Sport mode sharpens the throttle response, re-maps torque to occur at lower rpm and (supposedly) weights steering a little heavier, but I've never experienced the difference with last one.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
time to work on the car

so, does this stage I tune change the fuel and timing or is it also raising the boost?
now, i have an abarth but I have never pressed the little sport button in my life
I heard this button is actually an eco mode for better gas mileage, will this still work after the tune?

I had planned a turbo upgrade but from looking at their dyno charts it seems I would have to do a stage II or III which would require that

thanks
You might want to push that little sport button, you may be totally surprised, and no, it is NOT an eco mode. I have an '18 Abarth with stage II and have never looked back. Stage I is the default tune on the car after installing the EC Stage II tune, and Stage II resides in that little sports button. Stage I is wimpy after getting stage II, and I am jealous of the folks here with stage III. Anything beyond stage I will require some hardware changes to the car, and EC spells it out clearly on their web site.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
... and (supposedly) weights steering a little heavier, but I've never experienced the difference with last one.
it does tighten it up a bit - makes it ’heavier’ - but it’s not obvious, or rather, overbearing. I tested this on a road I commute on. A relatively long curve at around 70mph. I think it works great for the application: a casual jaunt, then lighter steering is nice (sport mode off, EC stage 1 for me). A bit more aggressive driving experience, sport mode on (Stage 2).

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Correct, mode defaults to standard when turning off, although I believe some people have contemplated a mod that engages it when starting.

I use sport mode exclusively as standard mode has, for me, serious throttle lag at low rpm. It compromises safety when quickly entering traffic or changing lanes. It may not suit my driving style so each to their own.

Sport mode sharpens the throttle response, re-maps torque to occur at lower rpm and (supposedly) weights steering a little heavier, but I've never experienced the difference with last one.
There was a guy on here that said he'd developed an electronic accessory that would get the car to default on in Sport Mode. Anyone know if that ever became a "thing"? He was talking about selling them, and if it worked I think it's something a lot of folks would be interested in.

·
Registered
661 Posts
time to work on the car

thanks
Not at all a waste of money. If you start with EC stage 1 and later decide to do the EC stuffed turbo, you will receive the stage 3 tune. It’s the route I chose and enjoyed every second of it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
time to work on the car

thanks
you thought the sport mode was an eco-friendly mode? BAKANA!

·
Registered
12 Posts
EC phase 2 says you need to get EC's intercooler (among other things). From what I can tell, it sounds like the "potential for leaks" is the reason for buying a new intercooler and piping. If your car is new, is the potential for your intercooler piping leaking really a pressing concern? Could you run phase 2 just fine for {N}0,000 miles before changing out the intercooler and pipes? If the intercooler purchase is possibly what ~unlocks phase 2 tunes, would it be safe to toss the new intercooler and pipes in the corner of the garage and get back to its installation after a ~few years?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You don’t need the intercooler for phase 2, it is just a recommendation

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
A560129C-5D9C-4E87-A023-C5B8EAFF0D44.jpeg

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right, intercooler is required for buying the phase 2 mapping, but in a brand new car does the intercooler & piping make any real difference? Could it be tossed into the corner of the garage and revisited after ~50,000 miles when connection points on the existing tubes are potentially getting leaky?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
In a new car? Not a big deal. I added the intercooler before phase 2, and it made a difference in summer heat in traffic. The car doesn’t like dragging in hot air to combust. You’d only notice it if you went back to a car without after driving a car with the intercooler.

it’s like looking at big screen TVs next to one another in the store; you’ll see subtle differences that make one better than the other, but when it’s on it’s own, you’ll be happy.

many people run stock IC without any problems. if yo look at the parts, though, as noted, they look like (and feel like) they leak and would hold no pressure whatsoever, and loosen up over time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went ahead and ordered the EC IC and wastegate/springs to complete my phase 2 reqs. The EC IC has a lot more cooling capacity / volume than the stock IC, so it's not just the leaky stock tubing. More IC volume normally means lower pressure but maybe the cooler temps are enough to counteract the pressure decrease? Would be nice to have pressure and temperature sensors at both ends of the intercooling but I'ma save that for some other day (ehhhh, probably the day called "never")

I got the shipping confirmation for the wastegate actuator and spring kit but I guess the IC is not in stock like the V4 air intake evidently wasn't in stock. EC site did not and does not indicate backorder status for the IC or the V4 air inny. Do these things normally take a while to deliver? I gots in the ants in my pants now for getting all this stuff done!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered the V4 intake on Feb 3rd and it was delivered to the house on Feb 7th. I had also ordered a stubby antenna at the same time, and it arrived on the 8th.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Right, intercooler is required for buying the phase 2 mapping, but in a brand new car does the intercooler & piping make any real difference? Could it be tossed into the corner of the garage and revisited after ~50,000 miles when connection points on the existing tubes are potentially getting leaky?
The intercooler is required to run P2. When you buy Euro+Drive for the 124, it comes with both P1 and P2.

I had signs of leakage when I swapped out the stock system at 8k miles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts