Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A package arrived in the mail today for my Abarth...

A shiny new intercooler!!

What I'm really impressed with though is the tubing. EC knocked it out of the park with this stuff. Kevlar reinforced silicone? If you thought the intakes were nice, this stuff is practically "space age." I counted four plies of kevlar. Seriously nice stuff.

I'll probably install it this weekend, and boy am I excited.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing how the install goes. I'm not sure I'm going to tackle this one.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking forward to hearing how the install goes. I'm not sure I'm going to tackle this one.
Perhaps a tutorial might convince you. :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
We will see. I don't have a lift and don't really want to do this on stands.
Seems like ramps might work for this one. Looking forward to hearing how it goes! Looks great!!

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
I promise you don't need a lift. I have done this job several times with no lift. In fact the turbo side can be done almost entirely from the top once you remove the battery and battery tray. The throttle side is tougher, specifically getting to the clamp on the throttle. You have to get that through the passenger side wheel well.

Greg

P.S. Red pipes! Forum members here specifically requested that, so we made up a small batch of red.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
ooooooooooohhhhhhh red pipes.....idk why i would need this...but I think I want it...oooooooooooo red pipes.....

Reactions: depotdan and Seagas

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
what? Where? WHY?

ok...total tease by @XtremeRevolution and @Greg !!!!!

I don't see the intercooler on da website!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad:

How much?
When available?

JUST TAKE MY DA-MN MONEY!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once I have it installed and can validate that it fits on the manual Abarth, it should be on the website. My goal is to make this my clearest and most detailed tutorial yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
MUST HAVE MORE RED BITS UNDER THE HOOD!! LOL
I must say, I don't feel the need for the larger intercooler but the red pipes have me thinking. Oh and Greg, the oil catch can should have been painted red, just saying, I did put your EC sticker on it though.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Once I have it installed and can validate that it fits on the manual Abarth, it should be on the website. My goal is to make this my clearest and most detailed tutorial yet.
This isn't a few hour install. But thats ok. Just thinking a lot of items have to be removed to do the install. Not like doing a V4.1 intake job. LOL.

Will the new intercooler utilize the same ducting system (for lack of a better description) as stock to direct the airflow?

mahalo guys :laugh:

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This isn't a few hour install. But thats ok. Just thinking a lot of items have to be removed to do the install. Not like doing a V4.1 intake job. LOL.

Will the new intercooler utilize the same ducting system (for lack of a better description) as stock to direct the airflow?

I expect about 3-5 hours from start to finish depending on how familiar someone is with the engine and what tools they have.

The ducts are the same shape, but not the same size.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Talk about hyped up demand.....easy boys and girls....is it just the red, or the improved performance that's attracting you??

Checking out the EC website, not clear if this is the Auto Trans version, or the Manual trans version....the blurb suggests that there is some further development for one or the other version....Greg please jump in...and price???

Thank you EC for opening up another expensive, yet desirable, must have it, don't care what it costs....can of worms....I have never had this much fun with a new car....ever...keep it coming...

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts

The install isn't too terrible. I think it's going to take less time than people think. We will see how it goes with Xtreme's installation. The new intercooler uses all new ducting. Everything from the turbocharger's outlet all the way to the throttle is replaced.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
Checking out the EC website, not clear if this is the Auto Trans version, or the Manual trans version....the blurb suggests that there is some further development for one or the other version....Greg please jump in...and price???
What you see on our website is the original prototype which is on my automatic 124. What we sent to Xtreme is the production kit which has several changes and will hopefully also fit the manual. The changes to the production kit included aluminum vs steel mounts, Kevtec reinforcement layers, slight shape changes, different liner colors (meaning if the exterior is red, the inner liner is black) and of course the choice of two colors, red or black.

Pricing and all other specs will be released shortly. I can say that the pricing is quite reasonable. It's really expensive to make each side in one continuous piece, and then do it with multiple layers of Kevtec reinforcement (more on that later). Having one continuous piece hugely reduces the chance of leaks so it's the right way to do it. I have seen a lot of kits that are not nearly as good, and made for much more common cars that sell for more that our kit will, so I think you guys will find the pricing to be fair.

Regarding the stock intercooler. At first glance it appears to be sized reasonably well. However it's tube and fin design isn't as effective at cooling as an equivalent bar and plate unit. Furthermore, it's hampered by 1.5" inlet and outlet diameters. Our intercooler is 56% larger, bar and plate, and has a 2.5" inlet and outlet diameter. It's not just the intercooler itself we improved. The stock piping varies from 1.5" to about 2.0" id. Our is 2.0 up to 2.5 (except of course where it has to funnel down to connect to the turbo). It's just really hard to shove all the air we want through a 1.5" diameter hole.

In addition to the decrease in flow restriction, cooling is quite a bit better. We will post actual data, but the bottom line is that in a street situation the stock unit is pretty good by oem standards, especially with the stock tune. However ours is better. The real difference is when you have repeated back to back runs. With the stock unit power drops off because the intercooler heats up and takes a long time to cool back down. That's not the case with ours. Not only is ours incredibly cool in normal driving, when you put the pedal down it only heats up slightly and then cools down immediately due to vehicle speed. It essentially suffers no loss in performance no matter how you drive it.

Greg

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Believe me, with my driving on the street, I can definitely feel the heat soak coming on. It was in the mid 70s out today during my trip to a couple of my clients and between some hard pulls in stop and go traffic, I could feel the power being dialed back. I can't wait to feel the difference this makes.

I was planning on explaining the diameter difference in hose following the tutorial, but Greg explained it perfectly. I honestly don't think this can be made any better. Two lengths of practically indestructible, continuous hose from one end to another to guarantee a leak-free intercooler system from turbo to throttle body. Can't argue with that.

The goal from my end will be to take a ton of pictures, document every step, and time myself so you guys would know how long one can expect to need to install this. You'll know every tool you need to use, every torque spec you might need to tighten to, and every step of the process organized in sections so you can feel fully prepared to install this the right way from start to finish before you even place your order. No running to the store and back in the middle of the install, no running into unexpected surprises. Just an enjoyable evening, a shiny new intercooler on your 124 Spider, and a 6 pack of empty beer bottles.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Believe me, with my driving on the street, I can definitely feel the heat soak coming on. It was in the mid 70s out today during my trip to a couple of my clients and between some hard pulls in stop and go traffic, I could feel the power being dialed back. I can't wait to feel the difference this makes.

I was planning on explaining the diameter difference in hose following the tutorial, but Greg explained it perfectly. I honestly don't think this can be made any better. Two lengths of practically indestructible, continuous hose from one end to another to guarantee a leak-free intercooler system from turbo to throttle body. Can't argue with that.

The goal from my end will be to take a ton of pictures, document every step, and time myself so you guys would know how long one can expect to need to install this. You'll know every tool you need to use, every torque spec you might need to tighten to, and every step of the process organized in sections so you can feel fully prepared to install this the right way from start to finish before you even place your order. No running to the store and back in the middle of the install, no running into unexpected surprises. Just an enjoyable evening, a shiny new intercooler on your 124 Spider, and a 6 pack of empty beer bottles.
Appreciate you doing this man, can't want to hear your thoughts. I'd like to do every bolt-on possible for my car since I'll likely be keeping it permanently and I too drive it properly often. BUT the length/difficulty of this install initially has me apprehensive.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Eagerly awaiting an update. Hope it is going well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts