Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never intended for the Spider to replace the Element. Complete opposite ends of the automotive spectrums with one exception: The Gals are crazy about both of them.

But that's not the point here. What does surprise me is what we fit in the boot today. A nice drive to the Fiat dealer in Zanesville for a six-pack box of oil containing four qts and a filter started our morning. Next was Rural King to get deer feed. That's two, 50lb sacks of cracked corn. In there as well went a 20 pack of AAA cells, a suet block for the birds and a 1.68lb bag of some sort of suet pellets, again for the birds. Then a trip to the local Walmart for a few food items. Came out with five bags containing but not limited to, a large box of Cheerios for the ducks, a half gallon of buttermilk for someone else than me, three, 4 packs of pudding, 5 large bars of bakers chocolate, a bag of powdered sugar (that was easy to pack), a large jar of peanut butter and bag of pretzels.

Not bad for a morning's haul!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Driving, could you feel the weight back there? Seems you had over 150 pounds back there, maybe closer to 175+. I'm sure it handled it just fine.

I recall reading a few weeks ago when someone wrote in what the payload was, including passengers. And it wasn't much at all.

Earlier today I told my wife I want to drive mine (after it gets here) from MN to a specialty hardwood dealer in Portland, OR. Wouldn't take much exotic wood to overload the car. But the trip would be a blast!

Steve.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Small pieces, but lots of them.

Steve.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also have the 124 complementing an Element - couldn't imagine life without either. (Plus, in the middle, a Suzuki V-Strom, which really does combine the best aspects of both other vehicles - an off road, open-air, good gas mileage, great handling beast that carries a lot)

Far as the trunk goes - it's simple. A JACK AND A **** LUG WRENCH. CURSE YOU, FCA!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Driving, could you feel the weight back there? Seems you had over 150 pounds back there, maybe closer to 175+. I'm sure it handled it just fine.

I recall reading a few weeks ago when someone wrote in what the payload was, including passengers. And it wasn't much at all.

Earlier today I told my wife I want to drive mine (after it gets here) from MN to a specialty hardwood dealer in Portland, OR. Wouldn't take much exotic wood to overload the car. But the trip would be a blast!

Steve.
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I didn't notice any difference in how the car handled in normal driving. I didn't even think it sat any lower either. After loading the cracked corn I gave a good shove down on the rear and it hardly moved. As smooth as it rides over rough roads I would have expected much more give.

As far as payload goes, a glance at the GVWR and some quick calculations in my head told me the little credit card holder above the visors may be there for a very good reason. Don't take any cargo, just buy it when you arrive.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
?..

I recall reading a few weeks ago when someone wrote in what the payload was, including passengers. And it wasn't much at all...
A whopping 340lbs...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well that's me and my wife, sans weekend getaway gear. No wonder the American market gets no spare tire for the car, it's already hauling my spare tire.

And why did "they" think that was a good number to design for? There are motorcycles with more carrying capacity than this car.

Steve.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A whopping 340lbs...
I'm busted with an empty tank!:eek: Reminds me of the Cessna we used to own. After ten years of ownership and my wife's good cooking we could only carry enough fuel for a hop around the patch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised that I could fit my guitar pedalboard, pelican-type case for my in-ears monitors, an electric guitar in a softcase, and two mic stands in the boot!!!

I should take a photo next time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts