Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So 8 weeks into ownership one of my fav things is 80% dont know what it is?!
Most think...(my stats)
Fiat 124 Spider Abarth 20%
Boxster 50%
Maserati 10%
>:)Ferrari 10%
Other 10%

When asked, what is it?, still on the fence reply...Ive been saying one of below...
Fiat Spider 124 Abarth Edition
Abarth Spider
Abarth Edition Spider
124 Fiat Spider
Fiat Spider
Spider 124 Abarth
124 Abarth
Or my favorite.....It’s not a Ferrari!

So which of above do you (and I) should use??

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was sitting in the car with my wife in a parking lot at the Nebraska/Ohio State game ( Go Bucks ), and two ole Cornhuskers walk past with containers in their paws, when one pauses, looks at the hood medallion and barks to his buddy, "It's a Ferrari". I just shrugged and smiled at the wife.

·
Registered
660 Posts
This car gets a lot of attention! I am asked about it constantly by both men and women, young and old.

I took it to an Italian car show a few weeks ago. I had the only new 124 there, and I don't think the organizers knew what it was. They parked me with the Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Maseratis. The Abarth 124 got as much attention as the Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and people walked right by the Maseratis to look at it.

I wished that they had parked me by the classic 124s because I thought it would be nice to see them side by side. The classic 124 owners however, were perfectly happy that I was parked over with the Ferraris...

I once stopped at a convenience store / gas station in Georgia to fill up, and every single person in the store came out to see the car and ask me about it. About 10 people.

Just about every time I drive the car, someone comes over and asks me about it.

They don't recognize the Abarth Badge, so they usually ask if it is a Maserati, the second guess is Alfa Romeo, and occasionally Ferrari.

I tell people it is an Abarth 124 Spider, but no one seems to know what Abarth is. I explain that Abarth is the performance version of Fiat, like Shelby is to Ford.

People also think the car costs at least $100,000! They are surprised when I tell them the truth.

Great car to have if you are an extrovert...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I mostly get the "what is it" question. But I have had someone assume it was a Ferrari (Awkward). You can see the wheels turning as folks process "fiat". I've given up explaining "Abarth" unless asked. The car is clearly favorable for the Fiat brand in America either way!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm pretty consistent with "Fiat Spider 124 Abarth." And then I am asked what is Abarth. I like the Shelby analogy. I'll use that.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I usually go with Fiat 124 Spider, although I toss in the Abarth on occasion if I feel like explaining it.

Reactions: UncleMike

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
At least no one yet has confused it with an MX-5.
Actually, I had a young guy in a beat up pickup while parked at an auto store say 'that's a funny looking Miata...'.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Help me out. I don't get it.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
350 Posts
I usually say Fiat 124 Spider and depending on the person, I'll add Abarth edition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts