Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

We’ve just picked up a 16 plate (UK) spider today and there’s a bit we can’t work out what’s its for. In the centre console behind the box with the coin slots in almost between the seats there’s a small compartment with twin hinged doors on it. What is this for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,580 Posts
Cupholder slots

Reactions: Cannoli

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Which brings to mind THESE question:
Since this isn't the first time this question has been asked along with the multiple times several new members have asked where they can get cup holders for their 124 Spiders ...... and since there seems to be any number of 124 Spiders missing the cup holders they originally came with ...... What are people doing with the cup holders? Where are are all the cup holders going? Are some selling their cup holders on some mysterious black market somewhere where 124 Spider OE cup holders have an exorbitantly high value?

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
407 Posts
The cup holders don’t come standard with UK/EU cars I believe. When my ‘17 was totaled I kept the cup holders - figured there’d be demand at some point.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The cup holders don’t come standard with UK/EU cars I believe. When my ‘17 was totaled I kept the cup holders - figured there’d be demand at some point.
If that is indeed the case then the shadows of mystery begin to clear and the possibilities of financing one's dreams show promises of reality. (as long as one can get by without one's cup holders) ;)

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
296 Posts
So wayyy back in 2017ish or whenever these came out i went and test drove an abarth. When i noticed the removable cup holders i quickly said to my buddy who was with me “oh people are gonna steal the fk out of these”.
i imagine thats happened to a lot of 124’s and miatas alike 😅

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cupholders are expensive useless items. You bang your elbow on them when driving, can't reach back to pick a cup out of them when driving.

I bought a cupholder from Amazon which is great. Sit my phone and a coffee in it. Works a treat.

Product Automotive tire Font Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
2018 Lusso Plus Italia Blue
7 Posts
As has been said, they are for cup holders. There is also another slot for a cupholder on the passenger side, on the centre console. A perfect place for hitting their right knee! They are ridiculously expensive to buy from Fiat - £234 for a pair. Ones for sale on the Mazda MX5 site aren't much cheaper - £95 each. I purchased one off eBay and that was about £40. A quick Google search will also get you to 3D printing files for download

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Given what I have recently learned and now know regarding 124 Spider cup holders I have decided that under no current foreseeable circumstances can I see myself ever parting with the two I now possess, came with my Abarth, as it seems their value can at the worst remain steady and might possibly even increase thus making them an excellent possible hedge against the current and future inflationary trends.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
These are crap. I've printed all that I can find. Poor quality prints, don't fit properly in the slots, better not to even try any including the scorpion one which looks very cool.
...and typically, the arm portion of the 3D printed object just isn't strong enough to last. I ended up making a hybrid, because the 3D printed and sonic welded holders I purchased have a great cup holder upper portion. So I purchased a spare OEM cupholder from Mazda, and cut off the crappy cup holder ring portion and then bolted my replacement cup holder onto the metal base arm portion. That likely came off as confusing as h3ll, but in essence I have the metal lower arm and base plate from the OEM holder with a third party upper cup holder bolted onto it. Sturdy as heck when seated in the socket, and the upper parts holds drinks very, very well... including my typical Starbucks vente lattes. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
The cupholder on the passenger side of the console is pretty useless if there is a passenger and the upper one is good only if you are a contortionist. We use the upper one to hold a small folding umbrella. If I must have a beverage while driving, I invite my passenger to hold it for me. Fortunately, I enjoy paying attention to my driving too much when I'm on the road and I love the attention it gets when I'm stopped at the coffee shop

·
Registered
147 Posts
The cupholder on the passenger side of the console is pretty useless if there is a passenger and the upper one is good only if you are a contortionist. We use the upper one to hold a small folding umbrella. If I must have a beverage while driving, I invite my passenger to hold it for me. Fortunately, I enjoy paying attention to my driving too much when I'm on the road and I love the attention it gets when I'm stopped at the coffee shop
Same. My cup holders are in the trunk. I’m too busy having fun driving to bother messing with a beverage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts