Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had mistakenly thought the engine was the Italian part of our car. Then I found out it's from Dundee, Michigan.
Mazda is likely sourcing from the same suppliers that provide parts for the other cars built in Hiroshima, so does anybody know what the Italian "bits" are?
Best regards,
Pete :confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
so according to the disclosure on the US sticker, the car is 75% Japan content, 20% Italy content. And specifically says 0% US/Canadian parts.
Who advised that the engine is made in Dundee Michigan? Cause I think this would be a serious violation of some sort.

My windows sticker also specifically says:
Engine: Italy
Transmission: Japan

Also, this wikipedia article (right or wrong) says that FCA manufactures this engine in both Termoli, Italy & Dundee Michigan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiAir

Does your say something different?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
so according to the disclosure on the US sticker, the car is 75% Japan content, 20% Italy content. And specifically says 0% US/Canadian parts.
Who advised that the engine is made in Dundee Michigan? Cause I think this would be a serious violation of some sort.

My windows sticker also specifically says:
Engine: Italy
Transmission: Japan

Also, this wikipedia article (right or wrong) says that FCA manufactures this engine in both Termoli, Italy & Dundee Michigan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiAir

Does your say something different?
YES, IT SAY 100% ITALIAN OWNER.>:):laugh::eek:

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The 124 Spider engines are assembled and shipped from Termoli, Italy. Unless the components are unique (Fiat uses Mopar labeling to identify those), Mazda does use their own components during the installation of that engine, like coolant, thermostats, etc.

I think the only other "bits" from Italy are the Napa leather hides used for seats and trim in the interior.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 124 Spider engines are assembled and shipped from Termoli, Italy. Unless the components are unique (Fiat uses Mopar labelling to identify those), Mazda does use their own components during the installation of that engine, like hoses, thermostats, etc.

I think the only other "bits" from Italy are the Napa leather hides used for seats and trim in the interior.
What about body panels? Japan, Italy, other?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My guess for the "Mopar" body panels is that they are stamped at the same supplier in Japan that the Miata panels are stamped at. All the glass has Mopar logos and part #s too, but I'll again bet that the same plant in Japan that does the Miata glass produces them.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I have managed a few retrofit projects, and I while the parts might have been made in Japan, I do believe lots of items needed to be modified. You just don't swap engines without running into problems with the interfaces. For starters, very unlikely the FIAT engine bolted up to the Miata clutch without changes or an adapter plate.And speaking of starters? - The coolant system - the engine fan required no modification? - the radiator? - is the root of the thermostat problem? - All the electrical interfaces? - Spark plug wires? - Connectors? - Fuel system interfaces? - more complicated than it first appears.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I did say
Unless the components are unique (Fiat uses Mopar labeling to identify those), Mazda does use their own components during the installation of that engine, like coolant, thermostats, etc.
Per Fiat:
This is the first longitudinal installation application of this engine that required changes to:
manifolds, oil pan, timing cover, intercooler, mounts, cover and ignition coils.
Perhaps "mounts" also includes the interface with the transmissions. I think components you mention like the starter, spark plug wires, etc are part of the shipped engine assembly. After all, the engine has to be run during the final quality check before it is shipped.

There are a lot of Mopar logos under the hood, but the radiator is so well hidden, I can't tell if that is unique or not.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Since the design is Italian, for the longitudinal mounting in the Spider, there would have been a lot of design work. Assembly is different from design. The US based manufacturing is likely for the transverse design, and has been well established for a few years.

Based on the history of the Spider, trying to get a new one to market - specifically, trying to get it built under the Alfa Romeo name, it was not cost effective to build the whole car in Italy. The designers, having access to the engine factory in Italy, would suggest the most effective way of bringing a 'roadster' engine design to market. They just needed a body.

Mazda has an almost [only because nothing is] perfect roadster chassis.

Once the longitudinal, low slung, mounting becomes established it is possible the US plant will be retooled. But there's no reason to. The engine has to go to Hiroshima, anyway. It is also a niche design, at the moment.

Plus the sticker says Italy; not that car manufacturers never lie to their back teeth.

All conjecture, of course, but it seems the simplest explanation.

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well with the Dart gone and the 500 production moving to Poland there might not be a need to build an engine in the states any longer. The cost of production plus shipping would most likely be less in Italy anyway.

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you're right. I dug out my sticker and it is as you describe.
What got me confused is this video:

I incorrectly assumed that the Dundee plant built the 124 engines too. Then on a re-watch I noticed that the video is six years old, which in "car years" is terribly out of date.

Based on the 27% Italian, there must be a big kit of unique "bits" as identified in another post that get shipped to Mazda/Hiroshima.
Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
599 Posts
I believe the process for a European Abarth is that the bodies come in assembled and painted from Hiroshima to Turin.
In the Abarth facility, engines,suspension, Matt bonnet and boot (hood and trunk) are painted,interiors are installed,record Monza exhausts fitted, bumpers go on too.
There are a couple of pictures of a white Abarth and suspension components in last months Auto Italia magazine.
I am hoping to find out for real in July when I visit,with Spider as part of our road trip Italy summer holiday.

I'll post some pics after the visit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I recently removed and replaced the suspension sway bars (front and rear) and the metal brackets holding them to the chassis had MAZADA clearly stamped on the part...not any more. Replaced with an USA component. So my Abarth is offically 1% AMERICAN now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts