Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lusso, Magneto Bronze, GFB DV, GWR System One with crosspipe
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 2018 Lusso, but I think the looks of the front grill could be improved. It looks plasticy and two dimensional. Maybe just some paint would jazz it up, like a fade to silver. What do you all think? Have you seen any notable grill work?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Hi. I've always used Zunsport grilles on my cars. Well made, easy fit, excellent quality and reasonable pricing. Yet to see one for the 124/Abarth. I'll email them tomorrow, possibly they might not do them due to low potential uptake (our cars are rare !!!).
I just posted a query on their website's "contact us" section asking the same thing. If I get an answer back from them, I'll post the reply here, and please do the same if you hear from them (good or bad). I really, really hope they'll consider making something for the Spider.

Update: Since then (since they don't show a stock grill for our vehicle), I noticed they have a "custom" grill section, so I've dropped them a line to begin that conversation with them. It looks like they're open to making them for pretty much any vehicle, so it's now likely just going to be a conversation regarding cost.

For me, this has two benefits. Better protection of the intercooler, and secondly... and this is the important part for me; is that I have a EuroCompulsion aftermarket intercooler upgrade installed. With the stock intercooler, the OEM version has a black plastic mesh over the front of it. I'm guessing its supposed to add some little additional protection, but it also serves to make the front of the car look black. The aftermarket intercooler I installed is a huge block of aluminum, and now that's what I see when I look at the front of the car.

So, a replacement grill that is black and denser than the stock version may well serve a dual purpose for me. Keeping my fingers crossed for a reply, and hopefully a "not too outrageous" cost on a custom grill.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Well, I just got a reply email. But given the time difference between Calgary and the UK, I'm guessing its an automated response. In it, they say they would be glad to make one for me, but they typically only provide the custom service for UK customers. But, they'd be willing to make one for me if I ship them the front end of my vehicle. lol Well, actually they said I would need to send them my front "bumper". I replied to say its not quite that simple... it's the entire front end of my car, and I'm not quite prepared to do that. :)

So I just replied to fill in the blanks a bit and let them know that 124 Spider Abarth indeed live and breath in their own backyard. But for them to make one, it very much looks like they need a live example to work from (which makes sense). What I'm hoping is that once a live body actually reads the message, I'll get a more reasonable reply back and we can get something rolling with this. Are both of you gentlemen seriously interested in this as well? When speaking with the manufacturer it wouldn't hurt if they knew this wasn't a "one off" request. There could well be economies involved. I'll provide updates to what I get back from them.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Update: Good news for one of you.... If you're willing to let them build the grill to fit your vehicle, you'll get your grill at ZERO COST. How's that for a decent deal? Here's the email response I got back from them.

Arthur, I'm sending you their specific contact information in a private message here on the site. Email details:

[FONT=&quot]Hello Calvin.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your reply.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We have received a small amount of interest for this product but insufficient to produce as a production item.[/FONT]
Is it possible your contact in Wales would be interested in being a “ Development Vehicle “ ?
The Grille kit would be “ Free of Charge “.

We are based in West Midlands our address is as follows :
Zunsport Limited
Unit 13 Morgans Business Park.
Bettys Lane
Norton Canes.
Cannock
Staffordshire.
WS11 9UU .
If you are interested you would need to attend on two occasions :

( 1 ) to establish feasibility and produce working templates - Time 6/7 hours.

( 2 ) to establish Fit & Finish -Time 1/2 hours.

Our working hours are 8.00am - 4.00pm Monday -Thursday and 8.00am -1.00pm Friday.

Look forward to hearing from you.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PS. If we were to produce it would be as an Overfit on the existing moulding as 95% of customers do not wish to remove the bumper to[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fit our products.[/FONT]

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Many thanks to CDPOND for getting so far with the grill request ! I'm certainly interested in a Zunsport grill but live a bit of a distance away and will be out of the country for a couple of weeks from this Friday.

If there are any UK owners near to Cannock Staffordshire who would be interested in a FOC grill then please pm me and I will supply the contact details of our man at Zunsport.

For info, I have a Lusso not an Abarth !

Arthur

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Most welcome. Glad to assist.

Here's the rub. There are two areas that require a grill replacement. Upper and lower. It appears to my uneducated eye that the upper portion is identical in size and shape. However, there is a remarkable difference in the lower grill area, and sadly, that's the one I most want to replace or cover up such that I don't see the aluminum of my intercooler staring at me from the front of the vehicle. The stock intercooler has a black plastic mesh over it, so it's disguised behind the grill. I went with an aftermarket upgrade from EuroCompulsion. Their intercooler is great, but there's no shield on it, and because its quite a bit larger than the OEM version I can't just move the old cover onto it. At some point in time, if I can't get an Abarth shaped grill cover from these folks, I'll end up having to remove the front of the car and paint the intercooler face.

It would be good if we could arrange for two versions to get built... a Lusso/Classico, and an Abarth. That way we'd cover all the bases.

I'm happy to have assisted, and now pass on the torch to you folks in the UK...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Ok guys, with some imagination, you could give value to your front grill. When you're Canadian and you dollar is 33% less then the US Dollar and let's not even go to the Euro or POUND, your imagination goes to work to save $$$$.

So it cost me around $3.00 Can to give an imaginable priceless value to the 124 Abarth grill and voila!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Oh, just wait Frank. When you see what we get made, you're going to be scrambling to open your wallet to get them. lol And your chrome scorpion might look even better on these new grill covers than the stock one. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, I'm at Zunsport today so they can measure up my Lusso for a grille.

The lower front grille isn't a problem, but the upper one pertrudes out too much for them to fit a grille over it. They don't wNt to remove the grille, as there grille fit over the top of the iem ones.

Looking at pictures I think the Abarth upper grille is flat, so Zunsport could make a grill to go over that one.

If that's the case, Lusso owners could change the upper grille for the Abarth one, then add the Zunsport over this.

So.... We should have a lower grill for the Lusso available soon, but Zunsport need a volunteer with an Abarth to make all the Abarth grilles. Any takers....

·
Registered
3,272 Posts

The lower front grille isn't a problem, but the upper one pertrudes out too much for them to fit a grille over it. They don't wNt to remove the grille, as there grille fit over the top of the iem ones.

Looking at pictures I think the Abarth upper grille is flat, so Zunsport could make a grill to go over that one.

If that's the case, Lusso owners could change the upper grille for the Abarth one, then add the Zunsport over this.

So.... We should have a lower grill for the Lusso available soon, but Zunsport need a volunteer with an Abarth to make all the Abarth grilles. Any takers....
First off, thank you very much for taking them up on their offer to do a fitment. Sorry to hear it's not as successful as we had all hoped. Hopefully someone in the UK with an Abarth will volunteer to have them look at it and do up a template. If I was in the UK, I'd do this in a heartbeat, but for me to ship them my front end from western Canada....ahh... a bit more than I can deal with. But, if they ever get a template created, they'll see an order from me!
Please share photos of your end results. Best regards from across the Atlantic...

Reactions: Jowster

·
Registered
209 Posts

First off, thank you very much for taking them up on their offer to do a fitment. Sorry to hear it's not as successful as we had all hoped. Hopefully someone in the UK with an Abarth will volunteer to have them look at it and do up a template. If I was in the UK, I'd do this in a heartbeat, but for me to ship them my front end from western Canada....ahh... a bit more than I can deal with. But, if they ever get a template created, they'll see an order from me!
Please share photos of your end results. Best regards from across the Atlantic...
No problem. Of course I'll be happy to share a photo of the lower grille on my car when I pick it up from Zunsport.

Anyone near Birmingham that would like to try an Abarth Grille, then please let me know. If you're willing to let Zunsport measure up your Abarth I should think you could have a free set... that's what they offered me anyway.
If you don't like the grille it's easy to remove.

Then we would have a full set of new Zunsport grilles available for our community for those that fancy better protection for our ICs and radiators.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
How about the Fiat version?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the factory grille design is ok and suits the grille opening area, but do agree it's missing ‘something’. Especially for black cars where there is virtually no contrast between the body and grilles.

This is what I did to my upper grille. Silver pinstripe and quick polish to the front vein edges. Subtle but makes a noticeable difference in terms of creating some depth & contrast whilst still in keeping with original design and other silver gloss detailing on the Lusso.

I like the Zunsport grilles on some cars and will be interesting to see for the 124 in due course. My reservations would be if it loses the hex detailing, which I think goes hand in hand with the 124 design, whilst I fear a large expanse of bright mesh grille, top and bottom, may look a bit too much for the 124. But we'll see. As always though beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for now at least I'm happy with my efforts especially as it only cost me £4.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Performance car

·
Banned
39 Posts
I have thought about my Abarth grill a lot and am surprised that so many of us agree that a bit of spunk would enhance the beauty of our cars. I had two thoughts; first of which to spray paint in silver color, and secondly to carefully silver tape the font of the grill leaving the background (flat part) as is. I think this could add depth and dimension.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts