Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the Fiat 124 Spider, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Love the looks, love the handling, love the power esp. with mods..exhaust,(soon to come) intake, EC clone, DV+....love the simple top operation...so far all is functioning as intended...2500miles...just wish there was a little more interior room...say 10 to 15%..
that would be the icing on the cake.

The seat belt buckle is a PITA to get to, hence purchased belt extenders...sun visors could be a little more functional, but that is where the hat comes in....considering the Price:performance ratio this car is a hit in my book. I traded a 1998 C5 Corvette for this Classica, and haven't looked back one second. An absolute joy to drive fast or slow....gets the job done without undue drama....and I've had a few drama queens!!! Still have a couple in the garage, but Classica is the go to for a fun, enjoyable ride every time. You really have to do something extra stupid to wind up in the bushes or the fence.....don't ask, been there, done that....single car accidents a specialty.....love my Classica....

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The sun visors are useless. I haven't had any trouble with the seat belts.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Stock Abarth seats lack lumbar support. Or, I'm just old with a cranky back!

The wind blocker is really a cheap POS. So I removed it. Now it doesn't bother me any more.

Otherwise, I love the look and handling. Most fun I've ever had driving a car!

·
Registered
879 Posts
The sun visors are useless. I haven't had any trouble with the seat belts.
Shark:

Re: seatbelt buckles, I'm guessing you are not as wide "in the beam" as yours truly. At 6'2" and 280 lbs buckling that belt is a chore...hence the extensions....getting in and out is not a pretty sight either, and with the top up...."fuhget about it"!!! Once I'm in, let the good times roll. Yeah Baby.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love the car and am really glad I made the purchase. It is my daily commuter, a blast to drive and gets 5 mpgs better than my Saab convertible. Plus there's that "time to get in trouble" button near the shifter that I get to use once I get on the back roads of my commute.

Improvements I would like to see in the car.

Memory driver seat - every time I get in after the wife drives I bang my knee on the steering wheel
Heated steering wheel - have it in another car and it is really nice when it is cold; I keep the top down as much as possible and I have to say my hands are the only body part that gets real cold
Cooled seats - have this in 2 other cars and like the heated steering wheel really nice when needed

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The should hidden the USB connector, every time I leave the top open I have to remove my USB, they could of put in the middle compartment where it's hidden.

Abarth steering wheel badge off course, the rest I really enjoy the ride, looks, compliments and the turning heads, which bothers me due cannot concentrate in my driving. LOL

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Shark:

Re: seatbelt buckles, I'm guessing you are not as wide "in the beam" as yours truly. At 6'2" and 280 lbs buckling that belt is a chore...hence the extensions....getting in and out is not a pretty sight either, and with the top up...."fuhget about it"!!! Once I'm in, let the good times roll. Yeah Baby.....
LOL. Yah, I'm a short, scrawny dude.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Beginning to hate the radio. Just give me some knobs and buttons. Love the confort. What was purchased for our fair weather fun car is going on a two+ hour each way trip in the rain tomorrow because I hate driving that 2-Slice Toaster they call the Element when an Abarth is available.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The whole Mazda infotainment user interface could use some help, which could all easily be fixed with Android Auto and Apple Car Play support. I find this more obvious as all the physical controls in the car are very simply laid out and highly intuitive to me. Anything that has to do with actual driving is where it should be.

I have problems with the Bluetooth being inconsistent at initial connection. Again, Android Auto would fix (hard wired interface)

The steering wheel needs reach adjustment to get that perfect seating position. I was able to work around it but it is there.

The Bluetooth speakers in the seats are great for calls. As are having heated seats. So is the seat bolstering. I have the Recaros, and I like everything about my seats. They hold me really well during aggressive cornering. As a reference, I am 6', 175lbs, 32" waist and 32" inseam. I tend to fit snug seats perfect.

I like everything else. It is easy to get in this car and go for a very long drive and not be worn out. It makes me smile every time I drive it.

I do want more aural feedback, but that is fixed with a simple muffler delete (ordered and on the way)

It feels criminal to not put the top down almost every time I drive as it is so dead simple to drop. That with the heated seats and what I think is great control of wind buffeting with the windows up means even driving on the highway with the top down on a chilly day isn't a problem.

I'm noticing I'm racking up the miles very quickly while neglecting my 'daily driver' which badly needs a wash. I really should go wash it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wash is a problem for me, it's too cold here. I want to take it thru a car wash, but I won't. I'm looking for a decent detailer in my small town, but will wait until warm weather if necessary. Spot wash bird s**t in the mean time.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Overall, love it. Things I would change

1. Height adjustable seat. Simple, mechanical, more range up and down.
2. Telescoping steering wheel. I can't get the ideal position as is.

They are losing sales by not adapting to more people and making owners conform a little to much at the cost of a few pounds. "Sir, you can pick between saving 20 lbs, or having a car that fits you comfortably", wonder what most people would pick!?

3. Light weight wheels on the Abarth. I would have happily taken the 15lb BBS on the MX5 Club
4. Abarth on steering wheel. Is having the Fiat badge selling more cars, I doubt it
5. Tighter panel lines. Pretty big gaps for a Japanese produced car
6. Smaller Home Link mirror. Just not working for me, it is going away
7. Easy to change oil filter
8. Exhaust on par with 500 Abarth exhausts for sound character
9. Apple Car Play
10. Sub woofer behind seats and not in passenger footwell.
11. Rolling down the windows at the same time without risking blowing a fuse. Yeah crazy I know!

Nothing money can't fit for the most part, other than that **** steering wheel telescoping and panel lines.

It is what it is, and I love it. So just have to love the flaws as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
I don't hate anything about my Abarth. It's my first car in 14 years so you can imagine all the stuff I need to learn!
Things I wish were different:
1. No huge lump intruding into passenger side that makes my wife whine. (I told her to end it.)
2. Cockpit storage space is lacking.
3. Trunk is needlessly smaller due to silly panels. Open it up!
4. Interior plastic is insanely soft and easy to mark.

What I love:
1. Car is very capable. I drove it like I stole it at the Bondurant school and it never let me down.
2. Very comfortable, smooth, and quiet.
3. Performance is more than adequate; Sport Mode is a joy. When the turbo comes on, well, it's a rush.
4. Car is a looker. People point and stare. They ask what it is.

It's everything I waited for!
best regards
Pete

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
As others have noted: infotainment system needs work (I put this down to clueless programmers who don't have to live with what they make - or they are young enough that they have always lived with crappy interfaces and think that's the way things are). As a developer, there are dozens of novice mistakes in the design/functionality.

Why is there not a glove box? Seriously, is there that much crap behind the passenger dash that just precludes a glove box? (Most likely a weight saving thing?).

EDIT: Having said these things, I was really hard pushed to come up with something to 'hate'.

Overall, I just love the car. It's fun to drive: simply, you can't get more than that. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I dislike the Infotainment system. The tweaks help with some of the issues. The balance front to rear is terrible, factory the radio settings make it sound tinny with a bunch of bass tossed on top, once fade and eq. are adjusted it is better but then it requires cranking it much higher to get it loud enough. Just prefer to feel the music surround me not be all in front of me, when you have as many speakers as the luxury package has just seems a no brainer. but i suffer from a slight hearing loss, (low side of high freq. range) so maybe others might not agree?

Navigation needs to have live updates, can not fathom that they don't have that in this current age. like the navigation is a left over from 2007 not 2017.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Base Classica. Love and hate are such emotional works. I'll use like and dislike.

Dislike-
1- The soft body paint. It scratches way too easily. I'm becoming paranoid about my paint now. I walked away from buying red because of this and went with meteor grey instead.
2- The buried, top-mount oil filter. Oil filter shall always be accessible to ease, and encourage, maintenance.
3- The hidden oil pan drain plug. Again, it should be easily accessible.
4- Seat bolstering could be just a bit more relaxed, allowing the average American male to sit inside the bolstering and not be wedged into it.
5- It would have cost nearly nothing to have the fixed seat back padding incorporate lumbar support for the lower back.
6- The cheap plastic covers over the protective roll bars. Skip the plastic and provide actual crash worthy protective roll bars.
7- How the radio, in either trim level, juts up off the dashboard. What an incompetent afterthought. Apparently the oil filter and radio designers where "job swapping" The dashboard could have been molded to incorporate the radio/electronic system so easily. On my base Classica, the smaller screen at least only sticks up like a sore thumb, where the infotainment screen on the other trim levels truly looks just like a broken thumb.

Like-
1- The charm, class, and character of the Fiat body styling. I'm so glad Fiat insisted on their own styling specification rather than mimicking the MX-5.
2- The modest size engine, and the HP and torque it develops, are, in the first 1000 miles, not leaving me wanting for more. This car does not need to be a member of the horsepower arms race.
3- Keeping a true manual transmission as on option. Roadsters are best suited for manual transmissions.
4- The base level radio system, vs. the higher-end tech and entertainment system. I'm not an audiophile, but the base system can be enjoyed just fine at top/windows down highway speeds. I understand the compact music disk is going the way of the dinosaur, but I'm getting around not having a CD player with an MP3 player that I can load my CS's onto. I want to drive, not be infotained.

That's all for now.
Steve.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Base Classica. Love and hate are such emotional works. I'll use like and dislike.

Dislike-
{snip}
7- How the radio, in either trim level, juts up off the dashboard. What an incompetent afterthought. Apparently the oil filter and radio designers where "job swapping" The dashboard could have been molded to incorporate the radio/electronic system so easily. On my base Classica, the smaller screen at least only sticks up like a sore thumb, where the infotainment screen on the other trim levels truly looks just like a broken thumb.
{snip}
I quite agree with you, but that seems to be the fashion now.

My 2014 BMW has the computer screen nicely integrated into the dash. That's the prior generation Five Series. On the new one (introduced within the last year) it looks like they completely forgot the computer screen until they were almost done. Somebody must've said, "Just stick one to the top of the dash. Nobody will notice!" It's the same across their current line. And it's almost exactly in the same position on the Miata/Spider.

I also liked your comment about the HP wars. If I manage to find a Spider configured as I want it, it will be replacing a car with just about 600 HP, a curb weight around 4,400 lbs, and a list price in six figures. And I'm betting that the FIAT will be more fun and satisfying to drive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wash is a problem for me, it's too cold here. I want to take it thru a car wash, but I won't. I'm looking for a decent detailer in my small town, but will wait until warm weather if necessary. Spot wash bird s**t in the mean time.
Over the winter, I use one of the no-rinse products to wash my cars in the garage. Using the two-bucket method, you can get the car respectably clean, and get rid of the salt and grime -- at least on the exterior body panels. I use an electric space-heater to warm the garage (and the car) to where it's reasonably comfortable.

The one I use is called Optimum No Rinse. It's not one you spray on and wipe off immediately. Those terrify me on really grimy paint. This stuff you mix up in a wash bucket with water. I use a conventional wash mitt and a second bucket of plain water. Dip the mitt in the cleaning solution, clean one panel (or less -- half the hood, for example), then rinse off the mitt in the second bucket. Dry the panel with a microfiber towel, then move to the next section.

I try to be careful about not disturbing the water in the second bucket when I rinse the wash mitt -- you can see the dirt precipitating out in the bottom of the bucket, and I want it to stay in the bucket, not go back on the car. I often will use either a spray wax or an instant detailer once the dirt is off. It's not concours-ready, but it beats driving around with all that salt and crap on your paint.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts