Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan,so I placed my car in storage and went out to start it up and I heard a ticking sound

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear that if you don't start it once every few weeks to circulate the oil, that can cause problems.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I hear that if you don't start it once every few weeks to circulate the oil, that can cause problems.
I winter my Spider, and through the winter months, I wait till I get a milder temperature day, then go out to the garage and fire it up and run it for about 10 minutes. No more frequently than every four weeks, and sometimes as long as six weeks befween starts. No trickle charging. I just make sure everything is turned off so I don't have any parasitic battery drain.

This will be my fourth winter with her. If it sits for four months, then yeah, you may well have issues getting it started up again... but there are several threads on here that speak to how to deal with that. Easiest solution is just to start it and run it for a few minutes every month or so. Easy peasy.

Just remember that the ECU physiclaly won't let you start it if the temperature is below -30C (-22F). So just wait till you get a bit of a break in the winter weather and take advantage of it.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I'll let it run longer.. if not to the dealership I go
Since a ticking noise can take on many forms, is the sound you're hearing similar to what you hear when an engine is shut off and starts to cool down? I know that's now what's happening with your situation, but I'm wondering if the sound is similar? It's really hard to speculate on what it might be without understanding what it's like.... how loud, where it seems to be coming from, is it more obvious iwth the hood open, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since a ticking noise can take on many forms, is the sound you're hearing similar to what you hear when an engine is shut off and starts to cool down? I know that's now what's happening with your situation, but I'm wondering if the sound is similar? It's really hard to speculate on what it might be without understanding what it's like.... how loud, where it seems to be coming from, is it more obvious iwth the hood open, etc.
I let it run a little longer doesn’t sound as loud,I’ve only had my spider for 3 months before it went into storage. Plus I’ve never warmed her up inside of a garage it was always straight out the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts